Home and Away part 3

Auld Jag

4 hours ago, sandy said:

Interesting questions. 

In my view, Doolan stood out as a calm player and excellent ambassador for the Club when he was playing for us. I remember sitting at his table at the end of season players dinner (after we secured top 6) thinking that he was destined to return one day as manager.

The fact that he landed the role so quickly after coming back to the Academy was lucky for us. He’s a genuinely decent guy who wants the very best for the Club and will work hard to achieve it. 

Putting aside which league will be in and what budget he will have, the next piece of the jigsaw for me is getting his Assistant confirmed so Paul can focus on the academy. Erskine anyone?

Has it been confirmed anywhere that Paul will be returning to the academy? Given how well they have worked together there must be an argument for him staying as assistant and finding a new academy director.

5 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

This will also not be popular. Imo McCall deserves credit for once again putting a very good squad together. But for whatever reason he just seems unable to take them up a level or two in performance. The difference between our last two league performances under our previous management team and our current form under the new management team is like night and day and long may it continue. For me the next test for Dools and Paul McDonald is this close season and next season, with so many first team starters out of contract and we are unsure at the moment of the finances as well, it will be a very interesting time to see who we sign, no matter what league we are in.

Agree with all of the above. If Doolan can recruit as well as IMC he could be a very successful manager, hopefully with us for years to come.

21 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

TTA - you may have already done this, but could you produce a record of Jags games that have been live on TV?

I reckon that is 5 wins on the bounce now.

Nothing done. We'd want to be thorough and absolute, and this sounds like a lot of hard work, so going to have to pass on this one.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I see the attendance for the game is given as 3426.

I watch the game on TV and It looked a lot more.

Any comments from Jags fans who were st the game?

8426 is more like it. We had over 2200 tickets sold and BBC Scotland reckoned about 6500 Ayr

1 hour ago, jaggy said:

8426 is more like it. We had over 2200 tickets sold and BBC Scotland  reckoned about 6500 Ayr

BBC were desperate to talk up Ayr and their chances. They were only 2x out in their claim. Commentator sounded gutted for most of the second half and wouldn’t stop banging on about the sending off. I guess we were a wee bit fortunate to go through! 

Yep just watched those highlights and love the number of young jags going mental. Spoiled by the Flares. Instant ban from Firhill as far as I'm concerned. Might let you back in if you grow up and go on a safety course. Leave that behaviour to the old firm.  Club are right. Got to stamp this out

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

BBC were desperate to talk up Ayr and their chances. They were only 2x out in their claim. Commentator sounded gutted for most of the second half and wouldn’t stop banging on about the sending off. I guess we were a wee bit fortunate to go through! 

Absolutely. We were so, so lucky to win 8-0 on aggregate. 

Amazing stats flooding out all over right now and most of the post-Somerset updates are now in place at the Archive →

And, yes, the Stats Watch entry title this week is partly inspired by our old forum friend!

:detective:  JAGGERNAUT

● 100 years from the first competitive encounter, Thistle meet Ayr United for the 150th time.
● Now 339 days long, 2022-23 becomes the longest season ('All Games') on record. The previous record (338 days) was set in 1889-90. And it's not done yet ; - )
Jack McMillan reaches 50 competitive appearances in season 2022-23. He's only the second Jag to do so this century, following on from Grant Murray (51) in the promotion-winning season of 2005-06.
● Thistle have now scored in EIGHT consecutive first halves; you need to rewind to August 1971 to find a longer run (9).
● Bizarrely, 3 of Jack McMillan's 5 goals for the club have been scored in the last 4 games, all in the play-offs.
● It's now 12 direct goal involvements in his last 9 games for the incredible Scott Tiffoney who will now seek to register a counter in a 10th consecutive game in which he's appeared. His second goal of the night was his 25th goal for the club, all scored in competitive action.
Jack McMillan (12) and Kyle Turner (13) now sit 2nd and 1st with the highest assist tallies of any Jag in the last 10 seasons, and it's a fascinating battle between the two for this season's crown.
Kris Doolan's Jags have now scored two or more goals in seven consecutive competitive matches. You need to rewind to December 1967 to find a longer run (8, by Willie Thornton's boys). Jaggernaut.
● With their 3rd 'total football' goal of the night Partick Thistle FC set a new Scottish goals record for same-season play-off games, overtaking Forfar Athletic's 13-goal tally of 2016-17. The new record sits at 16 goals - where will it end?
● The maestro who is Steven Lawless hits the 44 competitive goals mark for Partick Thistle and enters the All-Time Top 50 goals chart. It's amazing to have two Jagsmen on the ascent simultaneously in the higher echelons - keep an eye on their progress in our illustrated chart from hereon.
Kevin Holt hits the 9 goal mark for 2022-23 and is the highest scoring Thistle defender since Scott McCulloch notched 10 in the promotion-winning season of 2005-06.
● The 5-0 scoreline sets a brand new away-win record in the H2H between these clubs.
● 3 consecutive wins to nil is a first for the season, and means that Partick Thistle match the Scottish record for successive wins to nil in the play-offs in any given season. 3-in-a-row was only ever achieved by Cove Rangers in 2018-19. No team has ever kept 4 clean-sheets in any given campaign.
● Partick Thistle match the Scottish record for successive wins in the play-offs in any given season. 4-in-a-row was first achieved by Cove Rangers (2018-19) then Kelty Hearts (2021-22).
Ian McCall/Kris Doolan's Jags become the 6th highest scoring Thistle team of all-time, now with 98 goals in all competitions 2022-23. It's the highest tally since Davie McParlands's Jags hit 100 goals in 1970-71. You can compare all seasons in our sortable results tables.
● We thought Alan Archibald's 1 defeat in 21 competitive matches would never be seen again at the start of a Partick Thistle manager's reign, but Kris Doolan is having a right good go with 1 defeat in 17 and counting…

ongoing sequences:
● 7 competitive home games without defeat; 4th Mar 2023 to date. (Longest run since: 7 games; 20th Mar 2021 to 29th Apr 2021. Club-record: 24 games; 5th May 2001 to 17th Aug 2002.)
● 10 competitive games without defeat, 1st Apr 2023 to date. (Longest run since: 10 games, 10th Apr 2013 to 16th Aug 2013. Joint club-record: 16 games, 15th Nov 1975 to 21st Feb 1976 & 30th Sep 2000 to 13th Jan 2001.)
● 50 consecutive competitive appearances for Jack McMillan, 9th Jul 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: James Penrice - 51 games, 7th Sep 2019 to 10th Apr 2021. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
  • Like 4

Fantastic info once again, The Thistle Archive. Very much appreciated.

As an aside I'm pleased to see the accolades Jack McMillan is now picking up. In my mind he's one of those players who plays consistently well and in doing so helps others pick up MotM awards. So often the second best Jags player on the pitch, like for example Banzo and David Rowson in previous seasons.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Fantastic info once again, The Thistle Archive. Very much appreciated.

As an aside I'm pleased to see the accolades Jack McMillan is now picking up. In my mind he's one of those players who plays consistently well and in doing so helps others pick up MotM awards. So often the second best Jags player on the pitch, like for example Banzo and David Rowson in previous seasons.   

Agree with all of this. Also think it worth mentioning that Brownlie seems to have hit some good form since his mistake in the Ayr game at Firhill which ended 1-1. Although Mitchell looked at fault for the third against Queens Park in the first playoff game, he has also pulled off some important saves at important times in games. Hope i haven't hexed them now.

• Like 1

Got to say that I thought the Ayr manager came across well here, in what is an interview principally for Ayr United fans. He graciously congratulates us, points out that their red-carded player lifted his hand against Muirhead, and makes the good point that next season's Championship will probably be harder than this season. That last point makes it all the more sensible for us to get out of this swamp by getting promoted now!

A question: if ever Ayr do get promoted, would they be allowed to play at Somerset, which despite it's quaintness is actually antiquated? Or, after shafting us with the JL stand, do the "authorities" now accept anything as a Premiership-compliant stadium?

Interesting to read about the stadium situation with Luton Town (and well done to them; amazing past few years!). 

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Got to say that I thought the Ayr manager came across well here, in what is an interview principally for Ayr United fans. He graciously congratulates us, points out that their red-carded player lifted his hand against Muirhead, and makes the good point that next season's Championship will probably be harder than this season. That last point makes it all the more sensible for us to get out of this swamp by getting promoted now!

A question: if ever Ayr do get promoted, would they be allowed to play at Somerset, which despite it's quaintness is actually antiquated? Or, after shafting us with the JL stand, do the "authorities" now accept anything as a Premiership-compliant stadium?

Interesting to read about the stadium situation with Luton Town (and well done to them; amazing past few years!). 

They would be allowed to play there but only within the capacity of the stand. I don't see how they or Queens Park could survive in the top flight with the limited income they'd have.

5 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

3 hours ago, scotty said:

They would be allowed to play there but only within the capacity of the stand. I don't see how they or Queens Park could survive in the top flight with the limited income they'd have.

The all-seater rule of the SPFL was abolished in 2013 when the merge to the SPFL took place. If Ayr were promoted to the Premiership they would not need to make any adjustments to their stadium(bar those for a media perspective to accommodate television and VAR)