playoff final

Albert's Ghost

OK. We can talk about the final now. Ross or Killy would be best as they will be down mentally after failing to get 10th place. Dundee Utd are probably the worst team, but might actually be boosted by beating the automatic drop. 

Whoever we get, their defence and keeper will be better than either Ayr or QP so I will be expecting a bit of a grind rather than another high scoring tie.

2 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Anybody know if the second leg will have VAR ?

When discussing the red card at half time last night the presenter said there would be VAR in the final. It was not clear if it was both legs though. Not sure there would be time (or money) to get it in place for the home leg.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, elevenone said:

Personally hoping it’s Ross County and players have “take your medicine” t-shirts under tops for 2nd leg (and get to display them) to Roy Macgregor.  In fact could be a t-shirt idea for @BowenBoys

Also would rather avoid Killie pitch.

I'm also hoping for County partly because of the reasons you state.

Also with the home leg being a Thursday 8pm kick off the away support will be a couple of hundred at best. However the return leg is on Sunday at 16:30 and we should be able to get a decent number of Thistle fans to Dingwall.

Hopefully a Firhill full of Thistle fans on Thursday night can give the team some more energy to take on what should be a more tired opposition.

1 hour ago, Fawlty Towers said:

When discussing the red card at half time last night the presenter said there would be VAR in the final. It was not clear if it was both legs though. Not sure there would be time (or money) to get it in place for the home leg.

For sporting integrity it would have to be VAR at both legs, or neither.

I have heard somewhere that there will be VAR, but have no idea as to the reliability of the source, nor how that can be installed quickly (I am a non-techie). Presume SPFL have to meet temporary cost of installation.

4 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Do we get some extra cash for it being on Sky ?

I don't think so. I think these games are just part of Sky's overall package so their fee goes in to overall prize money pot.

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Do we get some extra cash for it being on Sky ?

No. The only games we get extra cash for are cup games. League games have the tv money included within the prize money which is awarded at the end of each season based on finishing position.

2 hours ago, dpj said:

I don't think so. I think these games are just part of Sky's overall package so their fee goes in to overall prize money pot.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, G SUS said:

No. The only games we get extra cash for are cup games. League games have the tv money included within the prize money which is awarded at the end of each season based on finishing position.

Thanks.

9 hours ago, partickthedog said:

For sporting integrity it would have to be VAR at both legs, or neither.

I've never understood this argument. I've even heard it used about inconsistent use of var within the same competition (e.g. FA Cup). Can you explain the issue?

Personally I hate var and wouldn't have it anywhere. But if you accept the argument that it leads to more correct decisions (which has to be the point of it), then why would its use in one game be worse that having it in neither? It's the same for both teams. 

Not having a go, just looking for an explanation that I can understand

7 hours ago, allyo said:

I've never understood this argument. I've even heard it used about inconsistent use of var within the same competition (e.g. FA Cup). Can you explain the issue?

Personally I hate var and wouldn't have it anywhere. But if you accept the argument that it leads to more correct decisions (which has to be the point of it), then why would its use in one game be worse that having it in neither? It's the same for both teams. 

I would argue that we are not going to play in 2 games. After Firhill on Thursday it will "only be half-time". So surely there has to be consistency (re in my opinion the ABOMINABLE VAR) over 180 minutes.

Just to expand the discussion, if we come out on top in the Play Off Final, we require to install VAR technology for the Premiership, another expense we can ill afford.

23 minutes ago, QXBoy said:

I would argue that we are not going to play in 2 games. After Firhill on Thursday it will "only be half-time". So surely there has to be consistency (re in my opinion the ABOMINABLE VAR) over 180 minutes.

Just to expand the discussion, if we come out on top in the Play Off Final, we require to install VAR technology for the Premiership, another expense we can ill afford.

Can we buy Dundee Utd’s VAR second hand? They are not going to need it next year 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, allyo said:

I can see both sides, but if you accept that referees can be influenced by crowds, and whether you think VAR balances that or exacerbates it, then either way there is a potential advantage for one side if it's installed at one ground and not the other. I think even if you don't find that argument convincing, it has to be seen to be equal conditions for both teams across the two legs and VAR in one leg but not the other risks that.