playoff final

Albert's Ghost

I would like to see VAR used in the same way as cricket or tennis, where the team captain has a set number of appeals for a review, rather than getting involved in every decision. It would save those ridiculous cases where the striker has a toenail offside and would allow the game to flow better. I'd also take another rule from rugby where only the captain is allowed to speak to the referee.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hopeless Unbeliever said:

I can see both sides, but if you accept that referees can be influenced by crowds, and whether you think VAR balances that or exacerbates it, then either way there is a potential advantage for one side if it's installed at one ground and not the other. I think even if you don't find that argument convincing, it has to be seen to be equal conditions for both teams across the two legs and VAR in one leg but not the other risks that. 

Yep, okay. Reasonable argument.

By the way, I don't see any problem with one half played with var and the other not. Or it being used in different ties across the same competition. But the home and away argument holds some logic.

All notwithstanding thst I will always hate it as it spoils the spirit of football, and I'd much rather some dodgy decisions and still being able to celebrate  goal when it hits the net.

2 hours ago, allyo said:

Yep, okay. Reasonable argument.

By the way, I don't see any problem with one half played with var and the other not. Or it being used in different ties across the same competition. But the home and away argument holds some logic.

All notwithstanding thst I will always hate it as it spoils the spirit of football, and I'd much rather some dodgy decisions and still being able to celebrate  goal when it hits the net.

Agree with all of this, especially the last paragraph. 

County looked a tired team and possibly unhappy squad today.

Didn't appear to have any real idea on how to create anything and where largely hoping that their one player with quality (Danda) can put in a cross for someone to get a head on.

They play an unusual 3-4-1-2 which to my mind means they are very narrow in attack and susceptible to fast wide players running at their centrebacks. 

Much prefer playing them than Killie. Killie have some pace and creativity in Armstrong and a decent winger in Armstrong coupled with a manager who has them organised and playing as a unit.

Taking heart from the fact that if Kilmarnock can gub them, then Ross County must have more weaknesses than strengths.

That said, they are hammer throwers, so they will target our front four from the off.

I expect two brutal games.

But, in Doolan I trust.

Edited by Barney Rubble

On Sportscene I was interested to hear Neil McCann (whom I find to be one of the better and more intelligent pundits) acknowledging that Thistle were playing really well while Ross County were on a poor run of form, but still thinking that County with their Premier experience would be too strong for us.

I quite like to hear that sort of talk. It guards against complacency on our part and equally might lead to County underestimating us.

It won’t be easy that’s for sure. I think  the team in 11th should be too good for the championship club, but we bucked that trend back in 2018, so anything is possible. 

I’m just hoping we play like we have done so far and that will give us a chance. On the downside, Simon effin Murray!!!