playoff final

Albert's Ghost

1 hour ago, JeanieD said:

Prepare for 180 mins of torture 

26 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Taking heart from the fact that if Kilmarnock can gub them, then Ross County must have more weaknesses than strengths.

That said, they are hammer throwers, so they will target our front four from the off.

I expect two brutal games.

But, in Doolan I trust.

I agree with the above. Ross County  are a big, strong team whom I suspect won't be taking any prisoners. I am sure Tiffoney , Lawless and Fitzpatrick will come in for 'special' treatment.

If we can deal with the physical  challenge then I dont see why cant win.

Again a strong ref required.

23 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

No such thing exists in Scotland, sadly.

I thought the ref who sent off Akinyemi did OK. I also thought he made the correct decision in doing so regardless of what the match commentators and field side pundits thought.

A few of points about the  Ross County games. 

Firstly watching the game with Killie it seemed to me that RC were a big strong team who will not be slow to  resort to the dark arts. However  they also looked slow and ponderous, something we can exploit with the pace of Tiffoney and Fitzpatrick.

Secondly,  should we be worried that Murray is in the frame to play against us? Will he be considered as RC's Akinyemi?

Finally, I think we could be at a disadvantage with VAR as RC will be smart in using it to their advantage. Our players I hope are training this week with a focus on VAR especially related to not extending arms away from the body, pulling opponent's jerseys, being late with the tackle and lunging in with studs showing.

All the best to the Jags on Thursday - run RC off their legs.

Hope and pray I'm wrong but.....

Think we'll come up short due to  general naiveness and a lack of calm when it comes to the crunch.

In true Thistle style I predict a red card that will knacker our chances, or a Brownlie howler, possibly a Fitzpatrick blazed open goal chance or maybe even a borderline VAR decision.

The dream is 2 or 3 nil at Firhill and a solid defensive 2nd leg but can guarantee it'll be 2 legs of complete and utter torture/frustration.

Anyone got a spare DeLorean that I can borrow so that I can jump to half 6 on Sunday?

16 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I thought the ref who sent off Akinyemi did OK. I also thought he made the correct decision in doing so regardless of what the match commentators and field side pundits thought.

A few of points about the  Ross County games. 

Firstly watching the game with Killie it seemed to me that RC were a big strong team who will not be slow to  resort to the dark arts. However  they also looked slow and ponderous, something we can exploit with the pace of Tiffoney and Fitzpatrick.

Secondly,  should we be worried that Murray is in the frame to play against us? Will he be considered as RC's Akinyemi?

Finally, I think we could be at a disadvantage with VAR as RC will be smart in using it to their advantage. Our players I hope are training this week with a focus on VAR especially related to not extending arms away from the body, pulling opponent's jerseys, being late with the tackle and lunging in with studs showing.

All the best to the Jags on Thursday - run RC off their legs.

Thanks EJ, some points worthy of discussion there.

In my humble opinion, the red for Akinyemi was harsh, although technically correct. A stern warning to both him and Muirhead - who was hardly an innocent party in the incident - would have sufficed. Akinyemi was clearly unfit anyway, so it didn't matter too much to Ayr's efforts.

Good question re Simon Murray, but he's not exactly had the confidence of his manager lately has he?

No idea how it's possible for RC to bias an advantage with VAR - are you serious?

Edited by Barney Rubble

13 minutes ago, The Legend Blows said:

Hope and pray I'm wrong but.....

Think we'll come up short due to  general naiveness and a lack of calm when it comes to the crunch.

In true Thistle style I predict a red card that will knacker our chances, or a Brownlie howler, possibly a Fitzpatrick blazed open goal chance or maybe even a borderline VAR decision.

The dream is 2 or 3 nil at Firhill and a solid defensive 2nd leg but can guarantee it'll be 2 legs of complete and utter torture/frustration.

Anyone got a spare DeLorean that I can borrow so that I can jump to half 6 on Sunday?

That's the spirit. Like all of us you can't guarantee diddly.....thankfully. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Thanks EJ, some points worthy of discussion there.

In my humble opinion, the red for Akinyemi was harsh, although technically correct. A stern warning to both him and Muirhead - who was hardly an innocent party in the incident - would have sufficed. Akinyemi was clearly unfit anyway, so it didn't matter too much to Ayr's efforts.

Good question re Simon Murray, but he's not exactly had the confidence of his manager lately has he?

No idea how it's possible for RC to bias an advantage with VAR - are you serious?

Several posters on pie and bovril and Bullen also said that if the foul had been given against Muirhead, then Akinyemi wouldn’t have reacted. Looking at the tv pictures, the ref clearly gives a foul before Akinyemi reacts. He only has himself to blame. Footballers and innocent are two words that very rarely go together. They always try to gain an advantage. 
As far as the Ross County games are concerned, the way we are playing, they should be more concerned about us. For whatever reason, we have thrown off the shackles of league form and shown that there is a sizeable gap between us and the rest of the championship in the playoff games. Whether that has narrowed the gap to the premiership remains to be seen. Although, onform Championship teams regularly beat struggling premiership teams in the cup competitions.

5 hours ago, QXBoy said:

Anybody got any info on referees for the final?

Wondering if we can get the same guy as we had at Ochilview and Somerset Park come Sunday, or is he only good for Fridays?

Refs for the tie

home - David Munro

away - Nick Walsh

vAR at Firhill - Andrew Dallas

VAR at Dingwall - Greg Aitken

Quoted on the BBC website, Malky McKay says

"Everything I'm hearing is that Partick are in a great place and that they're everybody in Glasgow's favourite team outside the Old Firm," Mackay said to Sky Sports. "I would debate that - that's maybe Queen's Park.”

Fud. 

5 minutes ago, sandy said:

"Everything I'm hearing is that Partick are in a great place and that they're everybody in Glasgow's favourite team outside the Old Firm," Mackay said to Sky Sports. "I would debate that - that's maybe Queen's Park.”

Fud. 

Very wrong, Sandy. Racist Fud.

• Haha 1

Now, I'm totally loving our form since KD took over, and lang (see what I did there?) may it continue! What an absolutely fantastic achievement it will be when (if) we come out on top over the next two matches and find ourselves (totally unexpectedly, let's be honest) in the Premiership in the next season.

I just want to say right now that, regardless of the outcome over the next two matches (though despite being as pessimistic as I am, I actually believe we can and even will win the tie), I hope that all Jags fans everywhere will continue to give Doolan the fullest support possible next season. I'm even willing to fully support whatever players are retained for next season, even though I've been pretty vicious in my criticisms of some players earlier this season. They've proved me wrong. Overall, they've been nothing short of brilliant in the past few weeks, and I can't wait to renew my season ticket for next season's campaign, regardless of the level we'll be playing at. If Doolan has faith in the potential of some players that I've thought weren't cutting it, then I'm totally willing to go along with that, and invest for the future.

In Kris we trust!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sandy said:

Fud. 

Not entirely surprising as he is an ex Queens Park player( in their amateur days of course).

2 hours ago, sandy said:

Fud. 

I am not sure what the point of saying it is.

Malky McKay is going for the standard managerial tactic of talking the other team up. Kris Doolan on the other hand, unlike most managers, is talking up his own team.

I don't really understand why Kris Doolan's approach is so unconventional.

I think statistically you'd find that favourites win more often than not. :huh: