Home and away part 4, the final countdown

Auld Jag

Just now, Dick Dastardly said:

2-0 is more than enough if we keep another clean sheet 😀

Agree that a 3rd goal would have been a valuable insurance 

I agree with DD.

RC will have to attack and this will leave gaps at the back. With our pace we can score on the counter attack and one further  goal will I think be enough!

We will have to be on top of our game again and especially in terms of our defensive work..

I would have preferred 3-0 but would have taken 2-0 before the game if offered.

Hard not to be a wee bit disappointed but that's only because we're so good.

Another great performance tonight from the whole team.

I've had messages from non-Thistle friends telling me how well Thistle are playing.

My stomachs churning already if I think about Sunday even for 1 second.

Let's enjoy what was, a great night for The Jags.

Edited by CotterJag
removed a word
  • Like 1

Great first half. Second we looked the better team and should have scored at least one more, but as the game wore on i felt we got a bit sloppy and looked a bit tired. Rather be 2 goals up than 2 down but tie still not over. First goal on Sunday will be vital.

Graham deserved MOTM, but another mention for Fitzpatrick, he was all over the park tonight.

• Like 1

Happy yet a wee bit disappointed.. we were wasteful more than once especially in that second half and against 10 men. Their keeper made a couple of brilliant saves and they threw themselves in front of the ball with great blocks,  but a little more composure and we could have sunk them. I’m sure the players know it.

But a two goal lead is still a good nights work and it feels almost inevitable that we will score on Sunday. Scoring first would be most helpful in calming the inevitable nerves! 

Actually thought the red card helped them more than us. At halftime it made County's objective very clear (i.e. don't lose another goal) and as as such their tactics were to sit in give us the ball and hit us on the break.

To my mind we look much more dangerous when teams try to attack us as we have the pace to counter very quickly.

If anyone had said at the start at the season you can have a 2 goal lead to take into the last game to get promotion you would have bitten their arm off.  Whilst we've looked brilliant going forward one of the things thats been forgotten is that since Doolan has came in we haven't conceded many goals and very, very few without reply.

Thought Brownlie was brilliant tonight. Absolutely dominated in the air and looked very assured. 

• Like 2

How we never got a third goal tonight, I'll never know. True there were a few wrong options taken, maybe a wee bit hesitation before getting a shot in, but in sheer percentages alone you'd think a third would've dropped.

The other side of the coin I suppose was it took two great goals, that could easily have been missed to get this lead. We played for 75 minutes against 10 men and only managed to score once during that period.

So regardless whether we should be chuffed or miffed tonight, we've a lot of work still to do. One thing in our favour, Doolan won't have us complacent. Sunday should be some occasion.

The play-off games have been fantastic entertainment...far more enjoyable than the prospect of 6 games against the Old Firm next season...maybe we should turn the tables on the SPFL and decline promotion🤔

A great atmosphere and a very impressive performance...a combination of not quite setting up shooting chances and some phenomenal blocks by defenders prevented us from putting the tie beyond County's reach. 

Turner, Lawless and McMillan were outstanding...I have been a regular critic of Brownlie and Docherty but they were both very good tonight.

As a Thistle fan, I always have nagging doubts but I think we are good enough to get promoted.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Utterly wasteful in that 2nd half. Should have buried the tie.

I wouldn't say wasteful. County players were throwing themselves at the ball and trying everything to defend, and they managed it. On another day we might have scored five, but we can score in Dingwall too.

2 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

In the two previous ties, we’ve won it in the second leg without killing them off in the first. We’ve also won the away legs much more convincingly. No reason why we can’t again. Other than taking a decent corner kick, County were dire

I thought Edwards was a cut above the rest of them. Glad he's suspended for Sunday.

• Like 1

Not long since home, echo the above. Great crowd and noise from the off, definitely 7000 odd Jags fans packed into the JH & JL stands, and flares only let off at the two goals! Very crowded up the back of JL as some wee guys climbed up the back of the beams the flags are set on and watched from the very top, only to be told at HT to get down making it even more crowded!

But would absolutely have taken 2-0 this afternoon as it was seen as a game between pretty evenly matched sides. Could and should have put the tie to bed tonight but it's fantastic that our only complaint is not winning by 3,4 or 5 - and if we get across the line up in Dingwall none of that will matter anyway! As Doolan said in the Aiken Suite at FT we know how it is to be the Premiership side in these play-offs. Not fun, and people already have the uneasy feeling it may well be their relegation day. Also remember Peterhead in 2006, when we went up there 2-1 down, needing a result and still managing to pull that off. So looking at the big picture this is a great night and our only complaints are about minor side issues. Highlight also was Britton & Dools' appearance in the Aiken Suite at almost 10:45 just as I was walking out the door having decided he wasn't coming!