Home and away part 4, the final countdown

Auld Jag

Slightly off topic but huge credit must also go to the ground staff this season - looking at the pitch last night, you could have been forgiven for thinking it was the first day of the season. It has allowed us to get the ball down and play in a way that was impossible last season and contributed to the turgid end to that season. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, javeajag said:

So both jhs and jls sold out …. So around 8000 there plus around 500 in the CWS

someone will know the last time we had a crowd of 8000-8500 ? 

There were many empty seats at either end of the JL stand, so again there are questions about "sold out" announcements. Are they just rumours started by punters?

Attendance was 7,200. Excellent,  but not full. And of course the CWS was mostly empty.

Edited by Jaggernaut

1 minute ago, Jaggernaut said:

There were many empty seats at either end of the JL stand, so again there are questions about "sold out" announcements. Are they just rumours started by punters?

Attendance was 7,200. Excellent,  but not full. And of course the CWS was mostly empty.

There will always be empty seats in the JL when sold out. For example, I reckon there was about 100 or more fans in the space behind the top row of seats. Also, because everyone stands (at least in the central/back areas) the people density in these areas is greater than one person per seat (the main "singing section" was very busy). Obviously, this means other regions will look empty.

4 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Agree with @Duke Gekantawa comments about JL.

We could maybe have sold home tickets for CW Stand at City End.  Ross County have decent fans so little chance of any hassle.

If there had been more time to organise extra stewarding, police cover etc this may have been a possibility. Depends on how many couldn't get tickets if it would have been viable or not.

34 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

There will always be empty seats in the JL when sold out. For example, I reckon there was about 100 or more fans in the space behind the top row of seats. Also, because everyone stands (at least in the central/back areas) the people density in these areas is greater than one person per seat (the main "singing section" was very busy). Obviously, this means other regions will look empty.

Put another way. If last night all the seats in the JL Stand were also full (with the same amount of fans standing) the Club could be facing serious duty of care problems.

There's good problems and bad problems. Last night with the JHS full presented the stewards with the former. Obviously there were a large amount of non-regulars and getting them distributed throughout the stand and seated before kick off must've thrown up a good few difficulties. The stewards I saw were working their socks off.

Just a couple of points.

I would like to give a big shout for McMillan. When Milne was injured we all thought we would miss him not just as a player and the best wing back in the league but for the impact on our defence - moving Holt to left back. There is no doubt he has been missed missed

In these play off games McMillan has for me been a revelation and together with Lawless, has formed a very effective partnership and  really stepped up his performance.

I am really looking forward to seeing both wing backs on the park and with them playing the way we know they can play we will be a real force in whater division we are playing.

So we'll done McMillan.

As "winter of 63" says "as a Jags fan there is always a nagging doubt"!

However on this occasion my nagging doubt is a lot less than it would normally have been but yes it's still there. I feel confident we will score at Dingwall. So barring some catastrophic event (poor ref, our legs failing) I think we will go through to the SPL.

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

As the tickets were sold as unreserved seating you cannot sell the full capacity - you need to miss out on a number. I think it’s 1800 capacity compared to 2000 - definitely better to have unreserved seating here as it allows groups of friends to join up and create the sensational .atmosphere it was

Fantastic first half, with everyone playing a blinder. Second half I thought we tired and made some uncharacteristic mistakes, but County defended really well.  As others have said, they will have to come at us on Sunday, and without Edwards, who I thought was the main threat, they will lack pace.  3 goals would have seemed more than one extra over the 2 we scored, but like many I would have settled for the 2 at 8 pm last night. 

More records than the KGB! 😎 Most of the post-County updates are now in place on the Archive →

Does anyone know why the home stands were described pre-match as a "sell out" and "at capacity" when (only!) 6,800 home fans were declared in the end? Isn't that's 1,200 short of capacity? 🤔

:detective:  CENTURIONS

● This game officially re-sets the bar as the longest competitive season in PTFC history (327 days and counting) taking over from 1995-96 (326 days).
● Thistle play on the 1st June for the first-time ever. Only 10 calendar dates remain unplayed.
● Thistle field the same starting eleven in a fourth consecutive game, the longest such run since 5-in-a-row in late 2020.
● For the very first time, VAR is used in a match at Firhill. David Munro has been the referee on both occasions when VAR has been used in a Thistle game having also been the man-in-the-middle for the Scottish cup tie at Ibrox in February 2023.
● Amazingly, Thistle have now scored in NINE consecutive first halves; you need to rewind to March 1938 to find a longer run (14).
● 16-year-old Dylan Smith receives the earliest red-card against Thistle (17 mins) since Stewart McKimmie of Aberdeen who was sent off in the 9th minute of Thistle's 1-0 League win at Firhill in December, 1995.
Brian Graham sets a new Scottish record for most goals (5) in a play-off campaign. He takes over from Simon Murray (Dundee United) who notched 4 goals in 2016-17.
Kris Doolan's Jags have now scored two or more goals in eight consecutive competitive matches. You need to rewind to September 1956 to find a longer run (11, by Davie Meiklejohn's boys).
● It's now an amazing 15 competitive goals without reply for this Thistle team, the longest such streak since 16 successive goals were scored in April 2021 (an all-time League record).
● On the night that we pay tribute to Hugh Strachan with a minutes applause, the class of 22-23 match the astonishing tally that Hugh's class of 70-71 achieved - 100 competitive goals in single season. Wow - it was written in the stars! The centurions of 2022-23 are now (jointly) the 5th highest scoring Thistle team of all-time.
● Congratulations to the PTFC class of 2022-23 who have now registered 27 competitive wins in the season. It's the 3rd highest tally of all-time, behind 2012-13 (31) and 1975-76 (30).
● For the first time in history, Partick Thistle have won a competitive match in 12 different months within the same season!
● Partick Thistle extend the Scottish record for most goals in a single play-offs campaign, now standing at an incredible 18.
● Partick Thistle become the first Scottish club to win 5 games in a single play-offs campaign.
● Partick Thistle become the first Scottish club to register 4 clean-sheets in a single play-offs campaign and David Mitchell duly sets the new record for a 'keeper.
● Thistle win to nil for the fourth consecutive competitive game. Kris Doolan's Jags are now one such victory away from equalling the all-time club-record of 5-in-a-row which was set by Alan Archibald's side in March 2013 and equalled by Ian McCalll's Thistle team in April 2021.

ongoing sequences:
● 5 consective competitive wins; 9th May 2023 to date. (Longest run since: 5 games; 10th Apr 2021 to 24th Apr 2021. Club-record: 10 wins, 22nd Oct 1932 to 26th Dec 1932.)
● 8 competitive home games without defeat; 4th Mar 2023 to date. (Longest run since: 8 games; 3rd Mar 2020 to 5th Dec 2020. Club-record: 24 games; 5th May 2001 to 17th Aug 2002.)
● 11 competitive games without defeat, 1st Apr 2023 to date. (Longest run since: 12 games, 19th Jan 2013 to 2nd Apr 2013. Joint club-record: 16 games, 15th Nov 1975 to 21st Feb 1976 & 30th Sep 2000 to 13th Jan 2001.)
● 51 consecutive competitive appearances for Jack McMillan, 9th Jul 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: James Penrice - 51 games, 7th Sep 2019 to 10th Apr 2021. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
Edited by The Thistle Archive
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, laukat said:

I thought County's only threat last night was their right winger Owura Edwards. The BBC match report says he's suspended for the next game but I didn't see him get yellow carded so does anyone if he suspended and why?

Previous red card catching up with him, from commentary last night. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, laukat said:

I thought County's only threat last night was their right winger Owura Edwards. The BBC match report says he's suspended for the next game but I didn't see him get yellow carded so does anyone if he suspended and why?

Yan Dandha looked useful for Ross County as well.

Apologies for the brazen request but...anyone driving up to Dingwall on Sunday from Glasgow area (or know anyone that is) and got a spare seat in the car back? Wasn't anticipating getting a ticket for the match so by virtue of working the Belladrum Festival last summer I've gone for the next best thing and will be working at the game! Going to be serving food on the trucks outside but finished up by FT. I'm getting the Megabus up to Inverness first thing then bus/train to Dingwall from there - just getting public transport back looking a bit trickier! Happy to exchange details via DM, also willing to contribute petrol money too