Home and away part 4, the final countdown

Auld Jag

9 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Does anyone know why the home stands were described pre-match as a "sell out" and "at capacity" when (only!) 6,800 home fans were declared in the end? Isn't that's 1,200 short of capacity? 🤔

That confused me too. I was expecting a crowd of well over 8000 after the announcement

4 minutes ago, michael m said:

As seats are not allocated it cuts down on the capacity per stand

That’s quite a drop though. 1200 or so below capacity? 15%

still it’s great to see Firhill bouncing and most seem to be Jags fans. 

I just wish we could even get up to about 4k as a base home support, it would make a huge difference to our budget

On 6/2/2023 at 6:06 AM, Garscube Road End 2 said:

True! But at times they tried to walk it into the net. I don't think 2-0 is enough.

I know what you mean. If not exactly walking it into the net, then trying to make that final dribble or side-step to get a clearer opening, when just hitting it might have done the trick!

47 minutes ago, jaggy said:

So you won’t see any of the game?? Surely the food trucks stop serving outside before the gate starts?

Guessing spectators are allowed to cut out and grab something from the mobile unit as with Edinburgh Rugby (where the trucks are right outside the stand & even stay open after FT to serve fans on their way out), as our finish time has been given as 6-7pm. But yeah with a bit of luck should get out a bit early and catch some of the match!

40 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Guessing spectators are allowed to cut out and grab something from the mobile unit as with Edinburgh Rugby (where the trucks are right outside the stand & even stay open after FT to serve fans on their way out), as our finish time has been given as 6-7pm. But yeah with a bit of luck should get out a bit early and catch some of the match!

Ok. Good luck. Hope you’re in our end. Hope it’s worth your efforts 

7 hours ago, jaggy said:

That’s quite a drop though. 1200 or so below capacity? 15%

still it’s great to see Firhill bouncing and most seem to be Jags fans. 

I just wish we could even get up to about 4k as a base home support, it would make a huge difference to our budget

Since the first QP game in April(bring a friend for a tenner) the home support has been. And if we can continue to play that kind of football scoring over 2 goals a game, I am sure the fans will turn up.

8 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

What's most encouraging is the number of younger adult supporters regularly attending. I can only think the Kids Go Free initiative has played a major role. Meaning the initiative has proved successful. Not so long ago we had an aging support (very noticeable on away days). Not so now.

Noticed the amount of youngsters when I watched the play off games. Extremely encouraging for our future. They seem to bring a lot of noise to the games. Lol

42 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Noticed the amount of youngsters when I watched the play off games. Extremely encouraging for our future. They seem to bring a lot of noise to the games. Lol

The last number of games it is noticeable how constant it has been since well before the game starts.

I know that we have got to our current position of being very positive and attacking, but is there a good case to start with Bannigan tomorrow.  With Thistle having a two goal lead i feel that would give us extra protection between midfield and defence.This would mean either Lawless, Tiffoney or Fitzpatrick on the bench. Whoever was benched would be extremely unlucky and might have a part to play in the game later on.

Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else but praise for the Ross County fans, from what i could see most joined in with the minutes applause for Hugh Strachan. 

C'mon Thistle. :fan:

22 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I know that we have got to our current position of being very positive and attacking, but is there a good case to start with Bannigan tomorrow.  With Thistle having a two goal lead i feel that would give us extra protection between midfield and defence.This would mean either Lawless, Tiffoney or Fitzpatrick on the bench. Whoever was benched would be extremely unlucky and might have a part to play in the game later on.

Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else but praise for the Ross County fans, from what i could see most joined in with the minutes applause for Hugh Strachan. 

Know what you mean but it worries me that playing Bannigan will invite them onto us a bit more.

Having said that, they weren't shy in pushing men forward even when down to 10.

I'd go with the same starting 11 and try for a goal in the first half. Something we've done frequently recently.

If all goes well, we could slow things down in the second half.

All these other 'big' games have been boring compared to Thistles last few.

Just watching the German Cup final, having watched the other two cup finals today. They just don't compare to The Jags in any way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fenski said:

I think I saw the team bus heading up the A9 when I was heading down to Glasgow from Perth. Wonder where they're staying tonight? Inverness I assume?

Dools said on his interview they were heading to Inverness. Let's hope we are the second Glasgow club to beat their highland rivals this weekend.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I see your logic, but my concern about Bannigan is that he slows the game down with too many side or backward passes.  He is also prone to needless fouls, and that would allow RC to punt balls to their big men.  Slowing the game down, as he did when he came on last Thursday, would suit RC, who will be without Edwards their main pace man.

33 minutes ago, westertonjagfan said:

Frankly....I'm bricking it for tomorrow. Even though we've been brilliant since Doolan took over, even though we're 2-0 up from the first leg, even though it feels it's our year.. #nailschewedalready. 

DSC_0455.JPG

Agree. We are in touching distance of the Premier league, but just not quite there yet. No stupid mistakes, take our chances and we should do it. Easier said than done though.

Bannigan's injury v Queens Park forced Dools into a personnel change which has been shown to work extra-effectively so far (Turner and Docherty deep with Graham, Tiffoney, Lawless and Fitzpatrick further up). We've looked more fluent as a result.

It's a conundrum for sure, but Fitzpatrick seems to me to have had a re-awakening recently after a frankly disappointing season. I'd be inclined to start with him tomorrow. Banzo has his qualities, but the performance of the formation since he got injured has been outstanding.