Home and away part 4, the final countdown

Auld Jag

For me looked like one game too far for that team. Almost the same starting 11 for each of the play offs and we just didn't seem to have the same vigour as previous games. Raith right up for it (as expected) and closed down quickly, nullifying the sharp passing out we've seen in the last few games. Sad but harsh reality is we didn't take enough chances, either today or last Thursday night.

You reap what you sow. Bannigan has been an undeserved darling for years now and was a complete weak link the second he came on the field. Its our loser mentality that we put an average declining player like him on a pedestal and what a surprise hes heavily involved in the collapse. Roll on the testimonial when we can talk about all those great goals of his, sorry yellow cards. 

No surprise Brownlie at fault again either for one of the goals. Another one who the warning signs were there for.

This year was a chance and we blew it. United will buy an otherwise weak league next season and we're left feeding off scraps again. 

Edited by avie-man

Not sure how competitive we would have been in the premiership, but it would've been good to go up, even if it was just for a season and get some money in.

Just hope with the rumours of how bad our finances are we can get a team on the park that sees us competitive next season.

12 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

On the BBC text they said it was done on the advice of the police.

That should never have been allowed and the Club should take that up with the appropriate authorities.

Are the police now refereeing games ? , of course it is an advantage taking penalties at your own supporters end ..

Why was that allowed? , it should be an issue 

11 minutes ago, avie-man said:

This year was a chance and we blew it. United will buy an otherwise weak league again next season and we're left feeding off scraps again. 

We were one goal away from relative financial security, short to medium term at least. But now from what I'm led to believe whether Dundee United buy the league or not will be largely academic. More likely to be Airdrie's and Arbroath's results we'll be concerned with.

I'd expect we'll go with an amalgam of the already contracted players, some of the youngsters and loan players from bigger clubs (who'll fully or partly cover their wages). The latter will likely be youngsters as well. Next season was always going to be a dodgy season. Had we scored that extra goal we were probably going to struggle big time in the top tier.

I just hope the support we've built up will understand the situation and stick with the team. The fans were incredible today and the atmosphere from an hour before kick off till well after that final penalty about the best I can remember for a long time. in that respect let's hope we'll have many more games like today. Just with better results of course.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

On the BBC text they said it was done on the advice of the police.

And who actually invaded the pitch? 🤔

It wouldn't be unreasonable for the club to question Plod's misplaced enthusiasm for interfering with matters on the park.

59 minutes ago, Fearchar said:

And who actually invaded the pitch? 🤔

It wouldn't be unreasonable for the club to question Plod's misplaced enthusiasm for interfering with matters on the park.

I’m sure it wouldn’t have happened in an Old Firm game ,  bit surprised it wasn’t made more of an issue as and when it happened.

Maybe our “ cuddly “ image is coming back to haunt us .

With a tin hat on I wonder if the local plod was stacking the deck to ensure Saturday overtime and the local economy so that the east Enders  and southsiders would continue to come and contribute. The VAR calls where strange and 3 crucial ones all went against thistle. The denied pen on Doherty was a trip in the box , Walsh didn’t make the decision , pen denied . Pen given to RC a dubious call that Walsh didn’t make , the decision was Var persuasion. The rescinded red card as blatant take out as you will ever see and tiffoney would have been clear as the cover was on the half way line  , only when he went over was the cover between tiffoney and the goal . None of this covers up our frailties and this major missed opportunity. unfortunately it all started with the bannigan substitution , which I think was by injury to Fitzpatrick , it effectively stopped our left sided out.     It was ever thus being a jag , our most inventive trait is to figure new ways to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory.  There is always next year been Saying that for 60 years of consciously supporting this disease , sometimes it comes true , but not that often , this should have been one of those years . 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Albert's Ghost said:

Especially the latter.

But I still think we've dodged a bullet.  No way ready for the top league.  But looking good for next season.

Actually I disagree. Yes we would have struggled in the Premiership next season, but for me a promotion was not about next season, more about setting us up for the 24/25 season. If we did get relegated, with a years top flight revenue and parachute payments we would be in a much better place to mount a serious Championship campaign in 24/25. Instead we find ourselves in a position where the side is about to be decimated. We have no midfield or defence signed up and no money to recruit new ones. Next season is going to be a struggle with at least 5 teams (Dundee U, Queens Park, Inverness, Dunfermline and Raith) who will all have significantly better financial backing. This is a missed opportunity that could set us back 5 years or more.

How can anyone claim that promotion would have been a bad thing, and that we are somehow better off in the Championship next season!  That  seems to me like some sort of psychological tic.  They fret that finances are weak but seem to forget or ignore the extra income that promotion would have brought, with costs still under our control.

Doolan has done a remarkable job, but you have to give huge credit to Malky Mackay.  They pressed high in the pitch and our defence were often forced to punt it upfield.  They also marked Tiffony, Lawless and Fitzpatrick much more closely than in the first leg.

I thought that the goal would settle our nerves, but we managed our worst performance for a long time.  Loooking back at the season, we seemed either to have won very easily or lost very easily, but with the apparent inabilty to win tight matches. 

Let's hope that the young supporters return next season and that we can build a good young side by improving our scouting system, learn some lessons from yesterday, and make the most of Kris Doolan's management skills.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Actually I disagree. Yes we would have struggled in the Premiership next season, but for me a promotion was not about next season, more about setting us up for the 24/25 season. If we did get relegated, with a years top flight revenue and parachute payments we would be in a much better place to mount a serious Championship campaign in 24/25. Instead we find ourselves in a position where the side is about to be decimated. We have no midfield or defence signed up and no money to recruit new ones. Next season is going to be a struggle with at least 5 teams (Dundee U, Queens Park, Inverness, Dunfermline and Raith) who will all have significantly better financial backing. This is a missed opportunity that could set us back 5 years or more.

Agree entirely.

We have got some @rsheholes in our support. If anyone wants to know why the match commander deemed the county end as the only safe option for penalties then have a chat with the absolute idiot who ran onto the pitch at halftime too drunk to stand and making out we were home and hosed. The number of people around me too drunk to stand up before kick off was embarrassing. Add that one of two of our  (adult) supporters thought it funny to pretend to hand over the ball to a county player, then throw it behind them and then hurl abuse at the County player.

Not the first incident in the playoffs were we have had fans run on the pitch during a game so if the Police based their decision on that we only have ourselves to blame. You could probably add that we gave the county manager his halftime teamtalk so an all round great piece of work by those involved.

Match was lost in our reaction to the penalty. Yes, Bannigan was stripped to come on before the penalty is given but we should have sat him back down and played another few minutes with the starting 11 who had defended well until that point. You don't make subs after moments like that and to my mind that was a bit of inexperience/panic from Doolan.

We only used 2 subs yesterday for 120 minutes on pretty warm day. You would have thought fresh legs against a County team that was running out of bodies would have made a difference. The fact we made so few subs Suggest to me that Doolan didn't have faith in any of the other subs which. 

Bannigan has to have a look at himself as well. He was way off the pace when he came on and bringing him on forced us to change a system that was holding County. How on earth he managed to put the ball almost out the ground from 8 yards out with no pressure on him I do not know. He was clearly never scoring his penalty so why we put him up so early when we still had guys like Mullen and Tiffoney still to take one I don't understand. How the guy is a club 'legend' is beyond me and as much as next season will be a struggle I'm not sure I can take another season  of watching him round around a lot, playing safe passes and offering nothing.

Didn't think the ref was great. Thought he didn't give us a penalty because he thought with us being ahead the tie was over and he didn't want to be the one ensuring that. He got sent to VAR 4 times yesterday and only disagreed with the referral once and that once was our penalty claim. All other 3 were to give a decision in County's favour. Also thought he was too lenient on County fouls in the first half. 

A team that can't defend a 3 goal lead with 20 minutes to go doesn't deserve promotion. No one else to blame for that other than ourselves. Starting eleven did well but I think that was our problem because only are starting 11 are able to compete at that level.

• Like 4