Playing budget 23/24

Am I the only a bit bewildered that the board has said essentially they are letting Doolan talk to the players now regarding contract extensions 

could they not have allowed this weeks ago - offer them one wage if we remain in the championship and one if we get promotion.

he will sit down with the players now to talk about contract extensions and be told sorry we were fed up waiting and have signed elsewhere now

8 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Am I the only a bit bewildered that the board has said essentially they are letting Doolan talk to the players now regarding contract extensions 

could they not have allowed this weeks ago - offer them one wage if we remain in the championship and one if we get promotion.

he will sit down with the players now to talk about contract extensions and be told sorry we were fed up waiting and have signed elsewhere now

If we had got promoted there would be some players we would not be keeping, I guess. And if he started talking to some and not others it might have unsettled the squad.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

As it turns out -the Play Offs may have worked against us in trying to resign some of the Players - as they will have put themselves in the Shop Window in a very positive light with constant TV Coverage - over the last couple of weeks 

Players go where they will be paid the most - at this level they dont earn fortunes - so they have to maximise there income and go with the Club that can pay them the most  

As updated by Martin - the Club Statement on finances will clarify where we are 

Whilst it'll be useful to know what financial position we are in I suspect the other major part of this will be how Doolan deploys his budget.

Under McCall we signed a first team squad of effectively 17 permanent experienced pro's (including 2 goalkeepers) as well as 3 loans and the occasional use of development players. A lot of experienced pro's like Smith, Dowds, Mullen and latterly Sneddon have struggled to feature and you have to wonder  what the value is in having guys like that on the bench.

If Doolan uses his budget to prioritise the experienced pro's he wants to keep but have less of them and fill the squad with loans and greater use of development players potentially our starting 11 may not be uncompetitive.

For the championship and our budget having 2  experienced goalkeepers is a bit of a luxury particularly when you can do emergency loans in this position. Also having  3 strikers over the age of 27 is again probably a poor structure and should instead be 2 experienced strikers with one younger cheaper option. Two midfielders of Docherty and Bannigan's age and experience is again probably questionable.

Hopefully there are ways of allocating the budget that may make it possible to keep players like Holt and Docherty if not Turner or Tiffoney whilst perhaps starting to see some younger players get more game time.

On 6/5/2023 at 9:50 AM, 1876 said:

How much is the budget required to sign  new players    I know a lot depends on season tickets  sales hospitality new sponsors  sale of strips etc     

How far short are we money wise  

If the season tickets were on sale right now, I would buy mine tonight. Can't wait to get to Firhill once more to support the club, the team and Kris Doolan.

• Like 1