Playing budget 23/24

Thistle follower on P and B saying players being offered lower terms on new contracts. Tiffoney of to one of Dundee clubs and Both them and Kilmarnock talking to our out of contract players. 

Tough times ahead by the looks of it. 

No surprise there then, with the mess the previous charlatans left the club.

• Like 1

Rather than focusing on who's going I think we need to start looking forward and to who we want in.

We need to lower the age of the squad and clearly need cover at centrebacks, midfielders and probably a striker. 

Jack Sanders of Kilmarnock who was on loan at Cove last season looked a very decent centreback. Not heard what the injury update or contract situation is with Connor Macavoy but I would love to see him back on a permanent basis.

In midfield I always thought Scott Martin who was at Hamilton had real potential as a defensive midfielder. To my mind Declan Glass at Dundee United looks a real talent, didn't have a great spell at Cove last season but I think he's got something. Max Kucheriavyi at St Johnstone was on loan to Falkirk last season and looked a player.

Finding a young striker is probably the most difficult. Not seen anything mentioned of Diack but his brief appearance in January suggested he might have something about him but probably more as a target man and backup to Graham? I'm not so sure Rudden will feature for Dundee next season so he might move on.

Ruari Paton & Lee Connolly at QOS are both out of contract. If Tiffoney is off (& Turner also likely to leave) we will need to fill the gap between Lawless & Fitzy. I think both these players are capable & could be affordable options.

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Ruari Paton & Lee Connolly at QOS are both out of contract. If Tiffoney is off (& Turner also likely to leave) we will need to fill the gap between Lawless & Fitzy. I think both these players are capable & could be affordable options.

With the loss of 280k and the tone of the club statement we are going to be very tight on our playing squad.

Honestly, Tiff leaving is a blow, but compared to making a loss of £280k its nothing. Its going to take a huge rallying effort to make up for this loss. 

Would actually quite like to see a few of the younger plays involved next season; keeps the budget down and gives opportunity to lads who are young and hungry. 

1 minute ago, jaggy said:

Shite! I read that thinking Dundee had the loss

Their loss was bigger, but they have Premiership football to look forward to. We have to battle with a reduced budget against clubs like, Queens Park, Dunfermline, Dundee united , Raith Rovers and Caley. Be some achievement to get into play offs.

54 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Rudden doesn't score nearly enough. 35 goals in 125 games doesn't cut it for a striker.

Can't see Dundee using him nor can I see St Johnstone paying money for him and can't see Dundee loaning him out to another premiership club.

Given our financial situation getting Rudden on loan for a season would surely be one the better options available to us? 

The Jags Foundation statements throws dire light on our financial situation. If we hadn't had cup revenue from Rangers cup tie, wages would not have been paid in February and almost weren't paid last month. Extremely worrying times.

ETA. Without the additional 300k we got from that cup tie, we would have shown loss of 580k.  And May's wages were paid effectively by a Thistle supporter investing funds into the club.

Edited by Garscube Road End 2

27 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

The Jags Foundation statements throws dire light on our financial situation. If we hadn't had cup revenue from Rangers cup tie, wages would not have been paid in February and almost weren't paid last month. Extremely worrying times.

ETA. Without the additional 300k we got from that cup tie, we would have shown loss of 580k.  And May's wages were paid effectively by a Thistle supporter investing funds into the club.

that is unbelievable the mess that has been left behind.  A total and utter disgrace made by certain people who claimed to have been Thistle through and through.  Thank goodness for The Jags Foundation, and above all the supporters who will all be doing their best to get us out of this situation. 

50 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Yeah also said it before Callum Morrison at Falkirk who financially are in an even bigger mess than us.  

Hamilton Accies had Connor Smith on loan from Hearts last year who was definetly their best player, given our friendship with them and our financial situation would hope they could maybe look favourably on us

20 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Just read email from them.  Tis a dire picture painted indeed.  What a difference a week makes being a Jags fan.  20 odd minutes away from being top flight and having had one of Britains biggest lottery winners invest in club and here we are losing our best players, bleeding money and in all likelihood facing a battle at wrong end next season.

Lets hope one or several of our promising youngsters get a chance next season and for once we maybe get a good hamiltonesque return on one of em.

Still fully behind TJF and Dools and will endeavour to do best to offer any additional support be it an increase in subs to TJF to maybe organising forum player sponsorships again like a did for a season when @BowenBoys was having a well earned break from it. 

I'm glad that things are now out in the open. I didn't know for definite we had faced a cashflow crisis, thinking maybe that we had little capital spare for maintenance purposes etc. Previous regime perhaps being "creative" re stadium depreciation. That sort of thing. 

In hindsight you can see why TJF were rejected and the then Board hand picked representatives, who in turn were happy to accept the running of the Club on a status quo basis. Anyway that's all history and now is now. A lot of us have known, whether from reliable sources or not, that the Club had financial difficulties insomuch as this coming season was going to be tough. Just how tough was the question we asked ourselves. Now we know.

We've got to thank the players firstly for getting us promoted from League One at first go. I imagine the situation would've been far worse if that hadn't happened.  On a brighter note Jags fans have turned out in numbers to support players who gave their all.  The last few weeks particularly have shown PTFC in such a good light. We need to attract investment in a big way. Playing in front of a busy and noisy Firhill has been the best of ways to show our potential and display Thistle to any interested investor.

3 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'm glad that things are now out in the open. I didn't know for definite we had faced a cashflow crisis, thinking maybe that we had little capital spare for maintenance purposes etc. Previous regime perhaps being "creative" re stadium depreciation. That sort of thing. 

In hindsight you can see why TJF were rejected and the then Board hand picked representatives, who in turn were happy to accept the running of the Club on a status quo basis. Anyway that's all history and now is now. A lot of us have known, whether from reliable sources or not, that the Club had financial difficulties insomuch as this coming season was going to be tough. Just how tough was the question we asked ourselves. Now we know.

We've got to thank the players firstly for getting us promoted from League One at first go. I imagine the situation would've been far worse if that hadn't happened.  On a brighter note Jags fans have turned out in numbers to support players who gave their all.  The last few weeks particularly have shown PTFC in such a good light. We need to attract investment in a big way. Playing in front of a busy and noisy Firhill has been the best of ways to show our potential and display Thistle to any interested investor.

Could make us a target for a cheap takeover 

Whilst and update on finances is appreciated and particularly the detail in the TJF statement why is our Chief Exec still in his job?

Is it not his job to know the finances and ensure they are in order for presentation to the board? Wasn't he also very much backing the previous board who appear to have sold us down the river?

If we are going to cut costs surely he's the one of the first to go?

The reluctance of the board and particularly the ptfc trust to be open and honest with supporters on the actual financial situation of the club is a disgrace. If not for the rangers game we may well have been in administration and we have only been carried through to this point by loans from supporters. The warnings of the dire financial situation. We were in were always correct.
we deserve better.

Sunday's bottle-job looks even more dire now. 

Jokers at this club from top to bottom. How any organisation can have the backing of a millionaire like the late Colin Weir and still be so much in the sh-t is beyond comprehension. Clear that the previous board are a bunch of absolute charlatans. Will take an almighty effort now. 

However, on an optimist note, two seasons ago, Arbroath showed what a PT team on a shoestring budget could do. 

Edited by Yellow & Redneck

23 minutes ago, sandy said:

At least the financial situation is now out in the open. It’s what many of us suspected. 

Dools is going to have to be creative to re-build the squad. 

5 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Back to sniffing out Juniors gems like Doolan and Erskine.

Time to get the scouting sorted out. The display during the playoffs has earned widespread approval, which must help.