Playing budget 23/24

One wee questions - does the loss of £280k include the income from the playoff games? I would assume it does but wanted to check

I normally don't buy a season ticket but I will this time now that Jlow is off the scene. If Gerry is jettisoned I might buy another or increase my TJF monthly payment

Edited by laukat
typo

9 minutes ago, laukat said:

One wee questions - does the loss of £280k include the income from the playoff games? I would assume it does but wanted to check. 

We don't make any money on playoff matches. That cash goes to the league apart from a small amount to cover the expenses of hosting the matches. 

2 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

Would promotion have not been futile (or perhaps embarrassing?) in the face of such financial issues?

Greater income - true

Massive expenditure required would have possibly out-stripped that income.

Still would have been better in the SPL without a doubt. 

Just now, Cfirejkl said:

While we don’t know what the playing budget will be, do we know what it was the last couple of seasons?

Also how is the manager to put a team together without knowing the budget he has to work with?

I would think he knows what he has to work with, hence he has been talking to them.

2 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

Would promotion have not been futile (or perhaps embarrassing?) in the face of such financial issues?

Greater income - true

Massive expenditure required would have possibly out-stripped that income.

I guess the answer to that is, no. We may have come straight back down but it would've been financially and security wise surely worthwhile. Plus always the chance another club in the top tier would implode due to what we wouldn't do, overspend.

It might be different If we had a nucleus of improving younger players signed for this coming season but that's not the case. It's gonna take some imaginative planning to even get a squad together to challenge for promotion the season after.

1 minute ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I guess the answer to that is, no. We may have come straight back down but it would've been financially and security wise surely worthwhile. Plus always the chance another club in the top tier would implode due to what we wouldn't do, overspend.

It might be different If we had a nucleus of improving younger players signed for this coming season but that's not the case. It's gonna take some imaginative planning to even get a squad together to challenge for promotion the season after.

I take your point - although I imagine repeated "doings" week after week wouldn't be nearly as depressing as Sunday's events!!

I guess the point to bear in mind is that we're not talking about a c.£580k one off shortfall - it's a regular cash flow shortfall.

So, either income increases in a sustained way, or costs are cut.

The obvious solutions (glib as that might be) are to increase regular sources of income - season ticket sales, match day attendance, TJF donations to the club via paid membership subs- and reduce the playing budget. 

It's not a nice place to be, but if we care about the club, and we're financially in a position to do so, then we can all play a small part. The alternative is to have no club to support. 

I can see it being a difficult few years, although I am more encouraged by the involvement of some people now to help manage us through this than in previous times.

Edited by stolenscone

21 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

I take your point - although I imagine repeated "doings" week after week wouldn't be nearly as depressing as Sunday's events!!

I think our matchday revenue would have increased significantly & reckon around 1/3 of home games in Prem would have been sell-outs. Additionally the feel good factor of promotion would increase season ticket sales which might have helped us improve the playing squad & therefore avoid too many 'doings'

11 minutes ago, jaggy said:

1/3 of home games sell out? You’re joking, even 4 home OF games wouldn’t be sold out in the home end. Granted there would be bigger away support for some other games

Around 1/3 is 6 games. IMO that's not unreasonable, but we can agree to disagree as it's all hypothetical. Sadly.

28 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I think our matchday revenue would have increased significantly & reckon around 1/3 of home games in Prem would have been sell-outs. Additionally the feel good factor of promotion would increase season ticket sales which might have helped us improve the playing squad & therefore avoid too many 'doings'

Matchday revenue would certainly have increased significantly but so would expenditure (given the policing required to deal with some visitors) but I take your point as regards feel-good and potentially better players lured by the kudos of being a Premier League player - but balancing the books would, in my view, still be a challenge. 

1 hour ago, laukat said:

One wee questions - does the loss of £280k include the income from the playoff games? I would assume it does but wanted to check

I normally don't buy a season ticket but I will this time now that Jlow is off the scene. If Gerry is jettisoned I might buy another or increase my TJF monthly payment

The accounts are to 31st May, usually. The RC home game was 1st June. Not sure if that one is included.

25 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

but balancing the books would, in my view, still be a challenge. 

Hasn't it always been thus for Thistle (and probably many other clubs)? Going back to the 60, then into the 70s, we've always had to walk a tightrope and sell our best players to stay afloat.

1 hour ago, stolenscone said:

The obvious solutions (glib as that might be) are to increase regular sources of income - season ticket sales, match day attendance, TJF donations to the club via paid membership subs- and reduce the playing budget. 

It's not a nice place to be, but if we care about the club, and we're financially in a position to do so, then we can all play a small part. The alternative is to have no club to support. 

I can see it being a difficult few years, although I am more encouraged by the involvement of some people now to help manage us through this than in previous times.

Given our season ticket numbers should be in excess of 3,OOO this year an increase of 100 per skull would wipe out the debt .A bit naive I know given cost of living situation for most folks ,however, done on a voluntary basis would go a long way to ease our current pain . I’d certainly willing to step up .

39 minutes ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Given our season ticket numbers should be in excess of 3,OOO this year an increase of 100 per skull would wipe out the debt .A bit naive I know given cost of living situation for most folks ,however, done on a voluntary basis would go a long way to ease our current pain . I’d certainly willing to step up .

I like your thinking, but I think that over 3,000 season ticket holders is pie in the sky, although it would of course be brilliant. The "voluntary basis" idea sounds a lot like the "STJ 100"  campaign (I don't remember the exact name) from back when we were in truly dire straits. My brother and I are on the list exhibited in the Aitken Suite.

Are we near that point again?  

58 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

I like your thinking, but I think that over 3,000 season ticket holders is pie in the sky, although it would of course be brilliant. The "voluntary basis" idea sounds a lot like the "STJ 100"  campaign (I don't remember the exact name) from back when we were in truly dire straits. My brother and I are on the list exhibited in the Aitken Suite.

Are we near that point again?  

Pretty sure we broke the 3,000 mark this season and with the exciting ,albeit, ultimately heartbreaking end to this season I would imagine perhaps a 10% increase in ST numbers.

Not sure we are at the stage of STJ100 yet but nothing should be left off the table at this stage in order to steer us through the hellish mess left by the former board .

5 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

that is unbelievable the mess that has been left behind.  A total and utter disgrace made by certain people who claimed to have been Thistle through and through.  Thank goodness for The Jags Foundation, and above all the supporters who will all be doing their best to get us out of this situation. 

No one involved in this Financial mess from the past-  should be anywhere near the Club - if it wasnt for the Luck of the Cup Draw-  and a Jags Fan stepping in at the last minute - we would be Bankrupt 

Your first job as a Club Director is the survival of the Club 

Reading TJF statement and there first meeting with our current Chairman - it was clearly known the state of the Finances last November - serious questions have to be asked ...

“The good news is you have proved you understand accounts because, you were right. But the bad news is you were right.”

• Like 2

We would have earned almost £1million more finishing 12th in top division as opposed to 4th in our league.

I've attached this season's prize money to show how much it has cost us.

Firstly by drawing on the final day instead of securing 2nd place it cost us £180k.

Secondly by missing out on promotion, even if we win next season's championship we would still earn some £600k less than the team coming down.

I would say we are looking at a budget of around £400-500k for next season looking at these numbers; and that includes operational costs. Whereas last season with the loss of £280k it would have been closer to £800-900k if my maths are right. So your talking budget being at least halved.

*Edited to take into account sponsorships etc income

20230607_172559.jpg

20230607_172605.jpg

Edited by stuart_adam
  • Like 1

Whilst I was expecting the news to be negative I did not expect it to be as bad. What sort of budgetary assumptions were the previous board making? On second thoughts lets not go there as I don't even want to think about them (and certainly not to read or hear anything from them again).

The focus now needs to be on building a sustainable club over the next few seasons and if we can over achieve on the pitch to get in the play offs so be it.

I will be getting my season ticket on Friday and sponsoring some players as usual. Will look at what else I can do after that. In these tough economic times credit to every Jags fan who puts their hand in the their pocket.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stuart_adam said:

Honestly, Tiff leaving is a blow, but compared to making a loss of £280k its nothing. Its going to take a huge rallying effort to make up for this loss. 

Would actually quite like to see a few of the younger plays involved next season; keeps the budget down and gives opportunity to lads who are young and hungry. 

You’re absolutely right , let Zander McKenzie , James Lyons , Stanway etc try and build a career at Firhill by giving them a chance 

Got to be realistic and build something for the future, we’ll still be ok with guys like BG , Milne and Lawless still on board