Playing budget 23/24

10 minutes ago, sandy said:

I only have one word towards the previous Board. B*stards, putting out club at risk. 

My take on things was it looked like the vocal antipathy towards the Board up at Cove in early December expedited Low & Cos resignations. However at the same time it was commonly thought had Jamie Sneddon not equalised McCall would have been punted.

OK, this is speculation on my part but had McCall been sacked back then it would have bought Low & Co considerably more time. I don't consider I'm being speculative in saying that had Low & Co been any longer in control the situation could've been easily worse even than it is today. Thank you, Jamie Sneddon.

Certainly think we have to be looking at MacKenzie being Tiffoney’s replacement. Not sure what type of midfielder Stanway is to say whether he’d be a Docherty or Turner replacement, but again he’ll probably have a more prominent role next year. Go younger on average next season with a good core of experience. Muirhead and Bannigan might be willing to take a drop in wages?

Apologies for needing this clarified, but where are we regarding fan ownership exactly?

My understanding is:

That the PTFC Trust was awarded the shares.

That the PTFC Trust is only a few people.

That the PTFC Trust now has a decent and trusting cooperation arrangement with TJF.

But that  TJF, which is the organisation with fan membership (and the capability of raising essential funds), doesn't actually have any ownership.

That any money raised by TJF going to the club will be a gift.

That TJF has very limited say in the running of the club.

That as s member of TJF I am in no way an owner of the club.

Is this correct?

Edited by allyo

Think we will do well to finish mid table next year. United will have decent team, Caley decent with money from cup run, raith are investing, Queen’s Park well off , Ayr relatively stable, Arbroath have decent budget and Dunfermline are on the up. Leaves us, Morton and airdrie to fight it out at bottom me thinks. Certainly won’t be budgeting for coming second which will lower the budget even more!

Edited by dibble

37 minutes ago, ThickAsThieves said:

Certainly think we have to be looking at MacKenzie being Tiffoney’s replacement. Not sure what type of midfielder Stanway is to say whether he’d be a Docherty or Turner replacement, but again he’ll probably have a more prominent role next year. Go younger on average next season with a good core of experience. Muirhead and Bannigan might be willing to take a drop in wages?

Bannigan is out of contract 

36 minutes ago, allyo said:

Apologies for needing this clarified, but where are we regarding fan ownership exactly?

My understanding is:

That the PTFC Trust was awarded the shares.

That the PTFC Trust is only a few people.

That the PTFC Trust now has a decent and trusting cooperation arrangement with TJF.

But that  TJF, which is the organisation with fan membership (and the capability of raising essential funds), doesn't actually have any ownership.

That any money raised by TJF going to the club will be a gift.

That TJF has very limited say in the running of the club.

That as s member of TJF I am in no way an owner of the club.

Is this correct?

This explains what is proposed to happen soon

https://thejagsfoundation.co.uk/the-future-of-fan-ownership-at-partick-thistle-a-roadmap/

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, dibble said:

Think we will do well to finish mid table next year. United will have decent team, Caley decent with money from cup run, raith are investing, Queen’s Park well off , Ayr relatively stable, Arbroath have decent budget and Dunfermline are on the up. Leaves us, Morton and airdrie to fight it out at bottom me thinks. Certainly won’t be budgeting for coming second which will lower the budget even more!

Not sure about QP reaction to their last day defeat and failure in playoffs or Ayr. Neither am I sure about Arbroath improving much. However, I do think we will be struggling unless Doolan really has what it takes.

1 minute ago, ThickAsThieves said:

I know, I’m saying he (and Muirhead, also out of contract) might take a drop in wages to sign on for another season.

What does this say about Gerry Britton by the way? Position untenable, for this to happen under his watch? 

I don't know how he's still in a job.

He became Chief exec just in time for us to be relegated from the premier. In his 5 years in the post we've been relegated twice and now seem to be further away from returning than anytime prior to save the jags. Controlling the budget seems a fairly important thing for a chief exec to be on top of.

The recruitment of players by him for Archibald and then Caldwell was really poor and best summed up by the miss spelling of a players name whilst trying to do a poor social media reveal.

He was clearly very much in the JLow camp and his involvement in standing up the Trust to takeover was suspicious at best.

Shambles like the training ground at Kirkintilloch and ground sharing with Queens Park required at least his input. His role in the spl vote on reconstruction and the missing Dundee suggested either he didn't know what he was doing or was very naive.

Day to day administration of the club has been poor with multiple issues on ticket sales, forgetting to extend players contracts in line with playoff end dates, poor crowd control and issues with catering just a few of the things I can remember.

I can't imagine he's on a small wage so what exactly is he bringing to the club and why is he still employed at a time when others will probably be losing their job?

Great player, terrible manager and complete out of his depth as chief exec. 

• Like 2

The news today is worrying if not surprising, and shows the disregard of the previous board and their failure to dispense their duties as Directors. 

In adversity does though come a (possibly long-term) opportunity. I feel for several years we have lacked much of a recruitment strategy and this presents a chance to follow one and develop a clear identity. We didn’t enter the 2012/13 season that positively but McNamara had a clear and affordable plan - a core of experienced players (e.g. Archie, Craig), supported by good lower league signings (the two Aarons) and young players cast off by SPL clubs (Lawless, SoD, Welsh etc). 

When we first went down to the Championship, we had a scattergun approach to recruitment. I have no idea what Caldwell’s approach was and McCall clearly liked experienced players he trusted with a spattering of young, mainly Rangers loanees (which certainly wasn’t awful). 

For me, we should now be building the club around a core of experienced players (Graham, Lawless, possibly Muirhead and Banzo or a signing like Paul McGowan or David Witherspoon) with a combination of: 

- The best of the academy like MacKenzie and Stanway (but the fans will need to be patient)

- Talent from the lower leagues like Charlie Reilly or Callum Smith (although he is now at Raith)

- Young talents who haven’t quite made the grade in the top league or England

This could be supplemented by: 

- Part-time players who are good enough but don’t want to play full time, Eg Tam O’Brien.

- Astute loans like Nouble (Arbroath), Chalmers (Ayr) etc. 

Morton were competitive this season finishing level on points with our far better squad, but could hardly put a team on the park at the start of the season. Further afield, the likes of Leyton Orient and Stevenage were tipped for mid table and the drop respectively and both went up. All about clever recruitment and building a good side rather than a good team of individuals. 

Next season will though probably be tough and the fans will need to stick with Dools and be patient with the young players. 

25 minutes ago, Stephen1876 said:

The news today is worrying if not surprising, and shows the disregard of the previous board and their failure to dispense their duties as Directors. 

In adversity does though come a (possibly long-term) opportunity. I feel for several years we have lacked much of a recruitment strategy and this presents a chance to follow one and develop a clear identity. We didn’t enter the 2012/13 season that positively but McNamara had a clear and affordable plan - a core of experienced players (e.g. Archie, Craig), supported by good lower league signings (the two Aarons) and young players cast off by SPL clubs (Lawless, SoD, Welsh etc). 

When we first went down to the Championship, we had a scattergun approach to recruitment. I have no idea what Caldwell’s approach was and McCall clearly liked experienced players he trusted with a spattering of young, mainly Rangers loanees (which certainly wasn’t awful). 

For me, we should now be building the club around a core of experienced players (Graham, Lawless, possibly Muirhead and Banzo or a signing like Paul McGowan or David Witherspoon) with a combination of: 

- The best of the academy like MacKenzie and Stanway (but the fans will need to be patient)

- Talent from the lower leagues like Charlie Reilly or Callum Smith (although he is now at Raith)

- Young talents who haven’t quite made the grade in the top league or England

This could be supplemented by: 

- Part-time players who are good enough but don’t want to play full time, Eg Tam O’Brien.

- Astute loans like Nouble (Arbroath), Chalmers (Ayr) etc. 

Morton were competitive this season finishing level on points with our far better squad, but could hardly put a team on the park at the start of the season. Further afield, the likes of Leyton Orient and Stevenage were tipped for mid table and the drop respectively and both went up. All about clever recruitment and building a good side rather than a good team of individuals. 

Next season will though probably be tough and the fans will need to stick with Dools and be patient with the young players. 

Yes - it is definitely possible to recruit well on a reduced budget. However as a rookie manager without many backroom staff, who (rightly) will have been focussing on the promotion push, it would be easy to expect too much of Kris. Unless he's also got a magic wand.

Time to be realistic, while trying to keep morale high.

I can now understand why the old Board didn’t see the point of ‘due diligence’ as proposed by TJF.  Effectively they were hiding trading losses by using Weir money and some creative accounting. 

Surely our current Chair & CEO knew that was going on? 

Sorry I’m only getting angrier by the minute. Any Board is only a custodian of a Club; our history could have been wiped out had we not had the Rangers tie. That scares me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fenski said:

Yes - it is definitely possible to recruit well on a reduced budget. However as a rookie manager without many backroom staff, who (rightly) will have been focussing on the promotion push, it would be easy to expect too much of Kris. Unless he's also got a magic wand.

Time to be realistic, while trying to keep morale high.

Agreed - it’s not going to be easy, but a strategy is a long-term thing which may several plans within it. It would be good to see us develop a clear identity, particularly around the academy. 

1 hour ago, ThickAsThieves said:

I know, I’m saying he (and Muirhead, also out of contract) might take a drop in wages to sign on for another season.

What does this say about Gerry Britton by the way? Position untenable, for this to happen under his watch? 

Muirhead triggered a contract extension in April- will be here next season 

Whilst we need to  move forward now I just can't believe that back in November when publishing the accounts the old regime came out with this:

After a period of considerable challenge, we look forward to greater stability, with less surprises but even more success. We start what could be a very important season for the Club with a new pitch and with a strong playing squad, funded because of the actions we took. These accounts prove that we remain a Board and Club that is financially aware and responsible, funded to meet all its obligations on and off the pitch.

If I remember correctly, the PTFC Trust was keen to keep the old board in place because they were doing such a good job.

I have to say well done to the people driving things in TJF. Without their knowledge and determination who knows where we'd be.

• Like 1

The squad just had too many senior players. For most of the season we had Mullen, Dowds, Smith, and Fitztrick on the bench. Great for the manager to have options, but not great for the senior players on the bench, as they all had limited game time. Most teams would only have two senior attacking options on the bench supplemented by loans or youth team.

McCall built a squad  that was more than the budget could sustain.