Playing budget 23/24

20 minutes ago, laukat said:

Not surprised with any of those of those leaving. I had wondered if our financial situation would have forced us to look at Brownlie for another year on reduced terms. Can't imagine he gets too many offers from championship clubs so could have been a low cost experienced backup.

Don't begrudge Tiffoney his shot at the premier league, he was great to watch so wish him all the best. Mullen did a job for us when selected but just too expensive to have sitting on the bench. Cammy Smith just never got going for us.

Can't see us re-signing Sneddon and McCready.  Hopefully one or the other but both seems unnecessary.

Apart from that I suspect of the rest that we are in talks with only Muirhead and Bannigan will be back.

I also wonder if Dowds will be allowed to leave if he can find another club?

Tiffoney signed for Dundee three weeks ago he was leaving even if we were promoted.

If we are talking cutting costs, I would ask what value is there in having an academy?

You either have to sustain it via transfer fees (of which I imagine we are getting very little, very infrequently for higher-potential players like Cameron Cooper) or graduates making their way to significant first team roles (which I’m not seeing).

I would be very excited to see more minutes for Mackenzie, Stanway, Lyon, etc. just to find out what kind of players we have there.  If we don’t, we will never become sellers and lose out on that revenue too.

4 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Season ticket prices now on official site. Seems to be an increase.

Yes, first increase since 2017. Will be getting one as i have done for many years. Would be great if everybody who could afford it with Thistle at heart got one and help Kris and Paul build a competitive squad for next season.

Just now, Auld Jag said:

Yes, first increase since 2017. Will be getting one as i have done for many years. Would be great if everybody who could afford it with Thistle at heart got one and help Kris and Paul build a competitive squad for next season.

On one of your points, has it been said that Paul is staying as assistant and leaving academy or combining both.

16 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Can I respectfully ask how you know this?  Dundee is a strange club for him.  He was absolutely giving it his all v Ross County.

It was reported on a Dundee fan page and other places .  If you think about it he didn’t play for us on Sunday  and then travel to Dundee on the Monday and get everything done in a day … because he is already in Miami .

6 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Big question. Is Partick Thistle FC a financially viable business moving forward ?

It seems that we have overspent our budget by around £600,000, but that was only able to assemble a squad good enough to finish 4th in the league for 2 seasons running. It has left a hole in the finances which needs to be filled by increased sustainable revenue and by cutting costs.

The only realistic way to cut cost significantly is to reduce the wage bill, which is likely to be detrimental to team performance, resulting in a lower league position and a reduction in revenue for future seasons. It is also likely to see a decline in the support pulled in from the recent run to the playoffs, further reducing the future revenues. Spending on things like ground maintenance, energy, stadium security etc are pretty much fixed and would offer only very small savings at best.

On investment and revenue, we can't rely on landing a money spinning cup tie every year. I also worry about the sustainability of any supporter donations longer term and even then how much of the hole can they plug ? It is probably optimistic, but lets say we can reduce the wage bill by £200k per year (across players and staff) it still leaves around £400k to find. I don't know how many will be willing and able to increase what they already give, but I think there are around 1,500 in TJF, and 3,000 season ticket holders. So lets be optimistic and estimate that a total of 4,000 people are willing and able to give more. That would need them to give £100 every year to support a team almost sure to be on a downwards trajectory in performance. It is asking a lot. I know that this is not the only avenue that is being explored, but finding new sponsors or revenue streams is not going to be that easy, especially if the team is not competitive.

Is it time to think about moving away from Firhill ? A purpose built smaller ground would certainly cost less to maintain, but is the current land going to generate enough to build a new stadium and how much of the fanbase would be disenfranchised by such a move ?

This feels different from STJ. That was a one-off to keep the club from going under. What we have now is a STJ every year for the foreseeable future. I have upped my monthly donation to TJF and I hope that this will buy us some time to find a sustainable model, but I do have grave concerns regarding the long term future.

I hope your information is wrong- I’d be against moving away from Firhill.

plenty of times clubs moved away from original homes and it’s all went wrong 

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

On one of your points, has it been said that Paul is staying as assistant and leaving academy or combining both.

Heard from the parent of an Academy player that Paul was planning to take the full time assistant position had we been promoted. Therefore expect him to return to Academy.

11 hours ago, Cfirejkl said:

Much better news today

i know many of you are ready to buy your season tickets to indicate your support.

Does anyone know when season passes for streaming will be available for Thistle fans out of the country.

I buy mine on a monthly basis as worked out the club received more money. If you are able, perhaps consider 

16 hours ago, Cfirejkl said:

Much better news today

i know many of you are ready to buy your season tickets to indicate your support.

Does anyone know when season passes for streaming will be available for Thistle fans out of the country.

Dunno, but I thought the monthly subscription was a good idea, which I'll almost certainly use again (as my season ticket will be lying dormant somewhere throughout the entire season). I think once or maybe twice I got only one match in a month, but for the play-offs in particular I got all the home games, 15 quid the lot (not the Ross County away game, I'm happy to report).

ETA: Yes, just as garryc wrote, above.

Edited by Jaggernaut
  • Like 1