Hope Everyone is Well

admin

• Administrators

Hi, 

Just a quick message. 

Firstly, I hope everyone is okay after Sunday's events. 

Shankly was wrong, football isn't more important than life and death. It is still a big part of all our lives though and  I can't have been the only person to have been left absolutely drained by what happened on Sunday. 

Personally I can't face reading about Sunday, no interest in reviewing all the VAR calls (I've seen the Doc penalty incident - how that isn't a pen I don't know - but none of the others) and certainly won't be watching the highlights. It took me over 10 years to watch highlights from that game at Tannadice. I imagine it will be at least that again before I watch anything from Sunday. It happened. It hurts, but it can't be changed. 

I'll likely watch the Scotland games later this month but those aside I'm going to try and forget about football for the rest of the month. 

That means I won't be checking on here, or reading other football forums, and won't be answering any messages or dealing with what little Admin this site generally requires. 

If you message about anything then and don't receive a response It's nothing personal. I'm just gubbed and need a rest from football for a bit. Please play nice, I know you will, and see you all in July. 

OTIG

19 minutes ago, admin said:

Hi, 

Just a quick message. 

Firstly, I hope everyone is okay after Sunday's events. 

Shankly was wrong, football isn't more important than life and death. It is still a big part of all our lives though and  I can't have been the only person to have been left absolutely drained by what happened on Sunday. 

Personally I can't face reading about Sunday, no interest in reviewing all the VAR calls (I've seen the Doc penalty incident - how that isn't a pen I don't know - but none of the others) and certainly won't be watching the highlights. It took me over 10 years to watch highlights from that game at Tannadice. I imagine it will be at least that again before I watch anything from Sunday. It happened. It hurts, but it can't be changed. 

I'll likely watch the Scotland games later this month but those aside I'm going to try and forget about football for the rest of the month. 

That means I won't be checking on here, or reading other football forums, and won't be answering any messages or dealing with what little Admin this site generally requires. 

If you message about anything then and don't receive a response It's nothing personal. I'm just gubbed and need a rest from football for a bit. Please play nice, I know you will, and see you all in July. 

OTIG

Have a great summer.

Thanks for the kind message! Personally I'm surprised at how badly I have taken the result, perhaps compounded by the 8 hour drive up the M6 to Glasgow, then 3 and a half more to Dingwall, and back again! We were riding a wave of optimism and momentum that frankly does not come along very often, and given our financial plight, is unlikely to happen again in the near future.  The overriding sadness comes from knowing this was a massive, scarce, future changing opportunity blown, with unknown repercussions.   

I've always been in the 'it's only football' camp, but Sunday had much the same effect on me. Made worse by knowing that that team was about to be dismantled. Taking a break is probably a good idea for quite a few of us. I feel sorry for Doolan and the management staff, because he's obviously not going to get much of a holiday... Can't be good for him.

Will anybody at the SFA or among the refereeing community question why Sunday's referee thought it was correct not to award Thistle what was without any doubt a stonewall penalty? Will any of them ask why the referee was instructed to thought it best to change from a red to a yellow card when all the fouled Thistle player had to do for an almost certain goal was the simplest of passes to another player already in position to receive the ball? Will anybody question why the Dingwall police were simply allowed to give Ross County an undoubted advantage by dictating that the penalty shoot out would be as far away from the Thistle support as possible? No journalists interested in these anomalies? Maybe not, as the so-called OF is not sufficiently involved

Corrupt as sport is, some people wouldn't be at all surprised if something like a vaguely justified "consultancy fee" (from a business that is nothing to do with football, because I'm now talking in general terms, not about Scottish football, of course!) appears in one or more people's bank accounts before too long. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Will anybody at the SFA or among the refereeing community question why Sunday's referee thought it was correct not to award Thistle what was without any doubt a stonewall penalty? Will any of them ask why the referee was instructed to thought it best to change from a red to a yellow card when all the fouled Thistle player had to do for an almost certain goal was the simplest of passes to another player already in position to receive the ball? Will anybody question why the Dingwall police were simply allowed to give Ross County an undoubted advantage by dictating that the penalty shoot out would be as far away from the Thistle support as possible? No journalists interested in these anomalies? Maybe not, as the so-called OF is not sufficiently involved

Corrupt as sport is, some people wouldn't be at all surprised if something like a vaguely justified "consultancy fee" (from a business that is nothing to do with football, because I'm now talking in general terms, not about Scottish football, of course!) appears in one or more people's bank accounts before too long. 

You can add Roy McGregor sitting next to Neil Doncaster as well to your points

Strange going ons indeed

Best wishes to everyone. I've heard from quite a lot of people taking it quite badly, and I felt pretty terrible on Sunday night and through Monday. Starting to ease but it still hurts.

In the end it is just a game. There are more important things. Rationally it shouldn't really matter. But rationality and football don't go together. 

It will ease, and whatever transpires we'll still all be glad we're Thistle fans.

• Like 2

Can't remember where, but i once heard football being described as 'the most important thing of the less important things in life'. That sums it up for me. 

Good summer to everybody and it won't be long until i am back at my usual spot in the John Lambie stand and chatting to @partickthedog and others. :fan:

Edited by Auld Jag

Nice to know I'm not the only one. Been going since 1992 and never took a defeat like this, even Tannadice or other relegations, Sunday was just pure stress, didn't enjoy it at all, was a bag of nerves all week and felt the poor finishing at Firhill on Thurs would come back to haunt us.

But the weird almost extreme grief reaction I had is beyond anything every caused by a football match before. I think the brain chemistry of it all probably plays a part - being 20 mins or so away from a dream outcome, full of adrenaline waiting on/expecting a lifetime moment watching thistle win an unexpected promotion, and to have it all taken away in blink of an eye, just a massive come down!

I would have went home on 90 mins if i was on my own - i got a lift, but had i drove up myself I'd have went home on the 90, wasn't enjoying it and knew it was over, felt so exhausted that I don't think I'd have made it to the pitch invasion even if we'd won.

If you weren't shattered by Sunday you're not a football supporter. 

A massive opportunity in the bin. Their penalty was a joke but if Brownlie doesn't switch off immediately after and we survive another 5 minutes we'd have been ok I think. The second goal turned us into a panic stricken shambles hence the guy scoring the 3rd surrounded by absolutely nobody.

More important things but Kris probably hasn't slept properly yet.

6 hours ago, thebiglemon said:

If you weren't shattered by Sunday you're not a football supporter. 

A massive opportunity in the bin. Their penalty was a joke but if Brownlie doesn't switch off immediately after and we survive another 5 minutes we'd have been ok I think. The second goal turned us into a panic stricken shambles hence the guy scoring the 3rd surrounded by absolutely nobody.

More important things but Kris probably hasn't slept properly yet.

Their penalty might have been joke (though a sick one), but the denial of our penalty, which on video is completely a stonewaller, should be investigated.

Maybe the Ross County chairman was able to receive some reassurance about the impending VAR decision from Doncaster, sitting beside him in the stand. 

Thanks for all of your hard work.

Echo what's been said above and haven't been able to talk about last Sunday yet.

Still in shock but will add this;

It was not in Walsh's gift to keep the game alive, or whatever else he thought he was doing.

A penalty is a penalty and that most certainly was one.

VAR should not have got involved with the sending off decision or the non-award of their penalty. Mostly because Graham was being fouled at the time his arm came out. 

It was not in the gift of the Policeman to decide it was dangerous to have penalties taken at the Thistle end. For all we know, he was a County fan.

The fact that they were able to get away with such a decision, shows there was no chance of trouble. They could enforce this without worrying about any consequences from the fans. That tells you all you need to know.

They would never dare to pull that one at an OF game or any other where there would be a riot.

Scottish Football is shameful at times but I've never been so thankful to support a team like Thistle.

Up The Jags.

4 minutes ago, CotterJag said:

Thanks for all of your hard work.

Echo what's been said above and haven't been able to talk about last Sunday yet.

Still in shock but will add this;

It was not in Walsh's gift to keep the game alive, or whatever else he thought he was doing.

A penalty is a penalty and that most certainly was one.

VAR should not have got involved with the sending off decision or the non-award of their penalty. Mostly because Graham was being fouled at the time his arm came out. 

It was not in the gift of the Policeman to decide it was dangerous to have penalties taken at the Thistle end. For all we know, he was a County fan.

The fact that they were able to get away with such a decision, shows there was no chance of trouble. They could enforce this without worrying about any consequences from the fans. That tells you all you need to know.

They would never dare to pull that one at an OF game or any other where there would be a riot.

Scottish Football is shameful at times but I've never been so thankful to support a team like Thistle.

Up The Jags.

Scottish football is utterly corrupt.

While it cannot be denied that all the things that has been listed above happened. It cannot also be denied we were 3 goals up with 20 minutes to go. Even after their dodgy penalty we were still 2 goals ahead. Why we seemed to panic after the penalty is what has to be looked at by our management team, to try and prevent it happening again.

I know that this is not a popular viewpoint and although decisions made by ref and or VAR did not help, imo we blew it. We have some if not all the best stats in the playoffs, but we also have the worst and that is the one that cost us a place in next season's premier league. The first team to lose a premier league playoff final after being 3 goals ahead.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

While it cannot be denied that all the things that has been listed above happened. It cannot also be denied we were 3 goals up with 20 minutes to go. Even after their dodgy penalty we were still 2 goals ahead. Why we seemed to panic after the penalty is what has to be looked at by our management team, to try and prevent it happening again.

I know that this is not a popular viewpoint and although decisions made by ref and or VAR did not help, imo we blew it. We have some if not all the best stats in the playoffs, but we also have the worst and that is the one that cost us a place in next season's premier league. The first team to lose a premier league playoff final after being 3 goals ahead.

There's no denying our own failings and I mentioned to my Brother, that we were struggling to pass and control the ball all game. We also seemed to be slipping on the surface quite a lot. No idea why. Maybe we were tired.

In any case, if the blatant cheating had not occurred, we would be in the Prem, having played badly for 45 minutes or so in 6 games. I doubt anyone would have begrudged us promotion had we gone up. 

1 hour ago, CotterJag said:

There's no denying our own failings and I mentioned to my Brother, that we were struggling to pass and control the ball all game. We also seemed to be slipping on the surface quite a lot. No idea why. Maybe we were tired.

In any case, if the blatant cheating had not occurred, we would be in the Prem, having played badly for 45 minutes or so in 6 games. I doubt anyone would have begrudged us promotion had we gone up. 

I didn't watch the game live, listening to commentary. We got a lot of deserved plaudits for our performances in the playoffs and as others have already mentioned a few off our players have put themselves in the shop window, so to speak. I am not sure it was even a bad 45 minutes, as i have said we seemed to fall apart after their penalty. They don't get that, for me we probably end up winning 1-0 on the day and the conversations on this forum are completely different. Anyway let's hope if we put ourselves in such a good position for promotion again we have learned our lesson from Sunday.

All the best to you and i hope you have a good summer, before we start the roller coaster ride we call supporting Partick Thistle. :fan:

Edited by Auld Jag

7 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I didn't watch the game live, listening to commentary. We got a lot of deserved plaudits for our performances in the playoffs and as others have already mentioned a few off our players have put themselves in the shop window, so to speak. I am not sure it was even a bad 45 minutes, as i have said we seemed to fall apart after their penalty. They don't get that, for me we probably end up winning 1-0 on the day and the conversations on this forum are completely different. Anyway let's hope if we put ourselves in such a good position for promotion again we have learned our lesson from Sunday.

All the best to you and i hope you have a good summer, before we start the roller coaster ride we call supporting Partick Thistle. :fan:

All the best AJ.

It's some ride supporting The Jags and crazy as it sounds, I'd rather follow a team playing football in our league, than one like County and their brand of hoof ball in the league above.

I would like us to continue to play good football, win or lose, in the coming season and know we'll be back in the Prem before long.

Just one more thing, can we not just get to a Cup Final for once...

It’s almost a week later and if I’m being honest I still haven’t got over Dingwall deep. As others have said probably better than I’m able to ‘it’s only a game’. However, what that simple statement  of fact fails to capture is the degree of emotional capital you invest in your team and how it provides at the very least the background to so much of the really important things in life e.g. family, relationships etc. and probably most importantly of al memory and remembering. So Sunday’s game won’t forever occasion great weeping and gnashing of teeth, but it will always leave a deep imprint on the soul of every Jags fan particularly those who were there.

• Like 1

I don't believe we blew the opportunity of winning promotion I believe it was taken away from us.

The reason we didn't score more goals in the secod half at Firhill was down to a number of factors.

Some resolute defending by RC, some poor finishing and bad luck for our strikers and tiredness. Yes tiredness! I could see some of our players were starting to flag as early as midway through the second half and I thought this was evident, for example, the clumsy first touches of Graham and Tiffoney when a goal chance was on! Also on a couple of occasions the ball just did not run for us at the crucial moment. I think in all of this tiredness was a big factor.

I looked at the team sheets at around 4.00pm on Sunday and  saw who the referee was and thought that's it we have no chance today. I didn't watch or listen to the gamevon TV or radio.

I was right as well - a stonewall penalty not given, a red card recinded and a penalty give to RC that was not a penalty.

This game was a fix from start to finish and there should be an inquiry. With McLennan and Doncaster at the helm we all know that, even if we had media support, this won't happen.

I would like to think that the next time Nick Walsh comes to Firhill we don't forget his performance at Dingwall and give him the treatment he so richly deserves. It won't serve any real purpose but it will be satisfying to at least let him know how we feel. At best he was incompetent but I thing we all know there is more to it than that.

I wonder who will be given next seasons Cup Final (s) to referee and other big games, perhaps in Europe.

Thanks for the admin post. I have had my phone switched off since. Im totally scunnered, heartbroken and I just cant watch any more football. I have watched Jags since 1959 and like all of you watched as we have been built up...dared to be confident and once again had it ripped from us. I cant see a time where I can ever be confident again of holding on to a lead. This is the worst I have ever felt after a game. And believe me that is saying something. Like a mug I even went into the graveyard on Sunday morning and up to Lambie's grave and asked him to give us good luck.  I cant believe so many people have bought season tickets already after that. Good on you folks. 

Edited by whitburnjag

7 hours ago, whitburnjag said:

Thanks for the admin post. I have had my phone switched off since. Im totally scunnered, heartbroken and I just cant watch any more football. I have watched Jags since 1959 and like all of you watched as we have been built up...dared to be confident and once again had it ripped from us. I cant see a time where I can ever be confident again of holding on to a lead. This is the worst I have ever felt after a game. And believe me that is saying something. Like a mug I even went into the graveyard on Sunday morning and up to Lambie's grave and asked him to give us good luck.  I cant believe so many people have bought season tickets already after that. Good on you folks. 

Yep, agree, definitely the worst I’ve felt after a game too. One thing being beaten, but for so many decisions to go against us really is quite remarkable.

I know it won’t do any good, but I hope the club asked the SPFL or whomever to explain the decisions - our penalty claim was a stick on, Graham’s was never a pen, the red card reversal plain ridiculous & the penalties end being decided by the Police beggars belief.

May sound like sour grapes, but at least make them explain themselves. 

• admin unpinned this topic