Dismantling The Squad

TartanC4

47 minutes ago, TartanC4 said:

And so three day after that game it begins. I've always found it amazing how quickly I can go from praise and admiration of a player to disgust and despise. I'm sure this is just the start of the End of this team.

Screenshot_20230607-101824_Facebook.jpg

I have nothing but respect for Tiff - was brilliant for us and a huge reason we got out of League 1. I’m surprised an English club didn’t fancy a punt on him but I wish him all the very best and thanks for some great moments and superb football. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Players for Thistle are not on mega bucks so for me i understand them leaving. They have to think about themselves and their families. I will wish them all the best unless it affects Thistle in away.

My only regret is if we would have got promotion we might have held on to some or most of them and we could have had a really good shot at having a decent season in the premier league.

The League 1 win was hugely down to signing Tiff, we would not have went on that run if we'd hadn't got him on loan.

But overall a frustratingly streaky player, either ripping teams to shreds, or poor, with no in between it seems. Thought it was his 2 worst games back to back for us vs Ross County, very wasteful, and can't strike a ball well, I'd loved to have kept him but won't lose any sleep over it either.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Good luck to all of them who move on to try to "better" their earnings and their career.

Although they all deserve praise for the past couple of months, the truth is that for one reason or another they pretty much all did too little too late for us.

Still think we only had 5 players in that team that could play Premier League, McMillan, Milne , Turner , Lawless and Holt 

So undoubtedly it would have been a struggle but financially it might have got us out of a hole 

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Still think we only had 5 players in that team that could play Premier League, McMillan, Milne , Turner , Lawless and Holt 

So undoubtedly it would have been a struggle but financially it might have got us out of a hole 

Agree with you there. But I’d now add Fitzpatrick to that list. 

1 minute ago, sandy said:

Agree with you there. But I’d now add Fitzpatrick to that list. 

Ability not in doubt but couldn’t play Premier League due to his work ethic , on Sunday the left hand side was Ross County’s target as they knew Aiden wouldn’t track back and that is where they saw our weakness .

There is not a chance Aiden would have even lasted 90 mins let alone an extra half hour , shouldn’t be for a 22yr old .

8 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Ability not in doubt but couldn’t play Premier League due to his work ethic , on Sunday the left hand side was Ross County’s target as they knew Aiden wouldn’t track back and that is where they saw our weakness .

There is not a chance Aiden would have even lasted 90 mins let alone an extra half hour , shouldn’t be for a 22yr old .

He’s improving under Doolan, I’d give him the benefit of the doubt

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sandy said:

He’s improving under Doolan, I’d give him the benefit of the doubt

Definitely improved under Dools especially in the play off games ,before that he had only started 13 games in the league campaign, the rest of his appearances were from the subs bench.

He’s got a great chance to establish himself now that Tiff has gone .

"Dismantling" the squad I think is too benign a term, as it suggests a planned, methodical intervention (from within) for a reason. "Demolishing" might be better, as it suggests outside forces acting with no concern about the destruction!

Edited by Jaggernaut
  • Thanks 1

It's perhaps worth remembering that those who may be signing elsewhere are no longer Partick Thistle players. They are free agents, a consequence of the club not having the resources to offer them contract extensions that they might have found attractive.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

It is likely that most of the out of contract players would have left anyway(without promotion) even if the finances were in a good state.

Is it likely?  I’m not convinced it was.  They didn’t in 2012/13 when like now a lot of other clubs could have offered higher wages too

36 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Is it likely?  I’m not convinced it was.  They didn’t in 2012/13 when like now a lot of other clubs could have offered higher wages too

I think Tiffoney, Turner, Docherty are all looking for premiership football. And I thought Holt was away back to Cyprus.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Tiffoney agreed terms with Dundee three weeks before it was announced and when it was announce he was in Las Vegas …..he was leaving even if we were promoted.