'firhill Transfer Frenzy'

Firhillista

Interesting article in The Glaswegian. Here. http://www.theglaswegian.co.uk/football/partick-thistle-fc/partick-thistle-news/2010/12/23/partick-thistle-keeper-bryn-halliwell-is-the-first-to-go-in-firhill-transfer-frenzy-102692-22802475/

Anyone know who's jaiket's on a shoogly peg? And who might be joining us? Hardie coming back, maybe?

Edited by Firhillista

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm struggling to think who else McCall is referring to "Bryn has been advised to find a new club and he is just one of a few guys who are in that position. There are two or three others who will be advised their future lies elsewhere." There's a couple of players I'd like it to be but it seems that pretty much all of the squad have played at some point over the last few months.

Balatoni's loan runs out in January does it not? I sincerely hope that Stewart Greacen leaving Morton yesterday isn't related to this.

Interesting article in The Glaswegian. Here. http://www.theglaswegian.co.uk/football/partick-thistle-fc/partick-thistle-news/2010/12/23/partick-thistle-keeper-bryn-halliwell-is-the-first-to-go-in-firhill-transfer-frenzy-102692-22802475/

Anyone know who's jaiket's on a shoogly peg? And who might be joining us? Hardie coming back, maybe?

robertson, buchanan, halliwell, grehan, cairney and poss hodge who may have been given a chance to prove he is worth keeping on in the last few games.

just a guess but there you go :thinking:

Who could we get out the door tho? Maxwell possibly, but he's on low wages and takes the training I believe. Hodge possibly, but there have been definate signs of improvement from him recently. Grehan and Cairney are contracted to the end of next season, Buchanan will get to at least the end of the season before a decision is made. One of either Wullie K or Robertson? Flannigan? Ah don't know if there are better players out there who we could get with our budget.

if balatoni is away in january i highly doubt it will be robbo or wullie k. why would we want to let robbo go anyways?

aye cairney hasnt been playing great but id rather see hodge and flannigan go before him. Ive got a feeling it will be hinchcliffe and maybe grehan, he probably cost us next to nothing so we wont lose much if we free him. who knows. time for burns to get a shot in the first team upfront.

if balatoni is away in january i highly doubt it will be robbo or wullie k. why would we want to let robbo go anyways?

aye cairney hasnt been playing great but id rather see hodge and flannigan go before him. Ive got a feeling it will be hinchcliffe and maybe grehan, he probably cost us next to nothing so we wont lose much if we free him. who knows. time for burns to get a shot in the first team upfront.

Hinchcliffe, Maxwell, McNamara & Donnelly are I believe on a pittance. Anyway McCall's wording that the players he has in mind have a "future elsewhere" suggests they'd be younger. I guess one will be a forward (Buchanan, Doolan or Grehan) and the other(s) from the midfield. Strange tho' it is (to me anyway) I can neither think of an obvious choice nor will I be surprised no matter who he has in mind.

Apart from Grehan and the youngsters I can't actually think of any fringe players. :unsure:

I think this all depends on who McCall's got his eye on bringing in.

If we can keep Fox that would be a bonus. The defence is pretty solid at the moment so i'd imagine we'd be looking to offload/replace some of the midfield and forwards. Flannigan, Cairney and Grehan could go, along with Balatoni and Maxwell.

Hodge and Kinniburgh may just have improved enough to save them until the end of the season at least.

McNamara and Donnelley haven't featured much recently - but they've got their coaching roll at the club as well.

From reading the article, we will get rid of 3, with the sole purpose of bringing in 2 loans til the end of the season. Just freeing up wages to do so.

Halliwell out.

None of the coaching staff, Hinchy included, will leave. They are on buttons and pretty much doing it as a favour. I mean buttons.

Mccall would be a fool to let go of any of the youth set up. First off, they earn hee haw, secondly, he preaches continually about how they are the future.

That leaves Greahan. He will be away. Maybe Buchanan, I'd get rid and plough my faith in Doolan, who has proved himself to be a better "all round" forward.

This statement does worry me:

Hopefully we will be able to keep the team together and hold on to the boys who will be attracting attention from other clubs as we have a side who can make a challenge in the second half of this season.

To make a profit? I thought all mccall's bluster was that the youth's were the way forward. Not a profit making feeder scheme. :wall:

Edited by potty trained

From reading the article, we will get rid of 3, with the sole purpose of bringing in 2 loans til the end of the season. Just freeing up wages to do so.

Halliwell out.

None of the coaching staff, Hinchy included, will leave. They are on buttons and pretty much doing it as a favour. I mean buttons.

Mccall would be a fool to let go of any of the youth set up. First off, they earn hee haw, secondly, he preaches continually about how they are the future.

That leaves Greahan. He will be away. Maybe Buchanan, I'd get rid and plough my faith in Doolan, who has proved himself to be a better "all round" forward.

This statement does worry me:

Hopefully we will be able to keep the team together and hold on to the boys who will be attracting attention from other clubs as we have a side who can make a challenge in the second half of this season.

To make a profit? I thought all mccall's bluster was that the youth's were the way forward. Not a profit making feeder scheme. :wall:

It doesnt say anything there about making a profit. A lot of their contracts run out at the end of the season which to me means other clubs will be sniffing around trying to get them who can afford far more than us. Therefore I am under the impression he wants to get them signed up on new deals to pre empt them leaving

he's the player/assitant manager so I can't see him leaving

I know, just thinking we have a fair few players who can play centre back and one might be offloaded...of them Maxwell would be the one with Jaggy taking on the assistant role. Anyway the point I was making is I can't see any fringe players never mind those who could be let go and replaced with better.

Am I the only one who is shocked to see Flannigan name being touted as one to be booted?

Grehan and Halliwell I can see, but I can see potential in Flannigan.

Although saying that I did think Hodge would become a footballing sensation at Firhill :unsure:

My preference would be to punt Hodge before Flannigan. Hodge takes too long on the ball, and in this division that means he gets caught in possession, while Flannigan is one of the few that can take a man on and beat him. However, it may be that Flannigan is viewed as surplus to requirements once Bannigan returns. I just hope that choosing players doesn't depend on how they're named, as in the era of multiple Gibsons. :D

I can see Cairney (after his reported/alleged personal issues) being punted but his contract will be a problem. He will be under pressure to retain his place when McBeth regains his fitness or Jamie Campbell is promoted. I also agree that Flannigan is a possible candidate too, especially if McCall has identified an alternative.

Apart from being injured, I can't see what John Robertson could've done to warrant his jotters.

Could be an age thingy, BJ :unsure: . Even without Balatoni there's still cover at centreback. There's Kinniburgh, Archie, McNamara & McGeough. Even if it's three at the back if an injury occurs Rowson or Lochhead can cover.

Loyal players are often released early so if Robbo is not in McCall's plans for next season he could be one to go. That said the gist of the article imo hints at younger players leaving.

For the reasons generally already stated, I expect the revolving door to be relatively motionless. Two out - one in, maybe, but any activity will be around that level.

Apart from being injured, I can't see what John Robertson could've done to warrant his jotters.

i think it is a mix of age, drop in form and starting to make some basic mistakes, but mostly the ijuries which at his age take longer and longer to heal.