Aussie A-League

B.C.G. JAG

Can any of the Nomad tribe shed some light on the ins and outs of the A-League for me. With an Aussie wife I feel like I should have a Melbourne team to support but I'm not really sure of the sketch down there. I was reading in the Herald that Melbourne Victory have a Shettleston born manager which counts in their favour, but I get the feeling they're the big corporate team in town and that doesn't really suit my Thistle sensibilities. Besides, my father-in-law has decreed it mandatory to support Collingwood in the AFL, so that's one 'big' team already. I guess I'm just asking if anyone knows the lay of the land down there, what the differences are between Melbourne Victory and Melbourne Heart the history / fans / rivalries etc. Any knowledge would be much appreciated.

Can any of the Nomad tribe shed some light on the ins and outs of the A-League for me. With an Aussie wife I feel like I should have a Melbourne team to support but I'm not really sure of the sketch down there. I was reading in the Herald that Melbourne Victory have a Shettleston born manager which counts in their favour, but I get the feeling they're the big corporate team in town and that doesn't really suit my Thistle sensibilities. Besides, my father-in-law has decreed it mandatory to support Collingwood in the AFL, so that's one 'big' team already. I guess I'm just asking if anyone knows the lay of the land down there, what the differences are between Melbourne Victory and Melbourne Heart the history / fans / rivalries etc. Any knowledge would be much appreciated.

I go to very few A league games, but when it replaced the old NSL a few years ago, teams, as franchises, were created to have a fan following from the area, rather than the ethnic groups that most nsl teams drew their fan base from at the time. Melbourne Victory was the first of the Victorian teams, with Melbourne Heart coming into the league at the start of this season. Prior to that in Melbourne, the two major nsl clubs were South melbourne (previously known as South Melbourne Hellas), which drew it's support from the Greek Community, and Melbourne Knights (previously known as Melbourne Croatia) which drew it's support from the Croatian Community. there were also a few others but they had been relegated a few years before.

The A-league has no relegation, but the winners of the minor premiership (home and away), and the grand final (play offs at the end of the season), both qualify for the asian champions league. A couple of years ago Adelaide Utd made it all the way to the final.

Victory's coach is Ernie Merrick, originally a p.e. teacher from Glasgow, but has played and coached here for years. He has also lead Melbourne Victory to 2 premierships.

The club song is to the tune of 'Scotland the Brave', and there are Jags supporters among the supporter base for Victory. (Also Simon Storey played in a premiership side with them)

One of the down sides (in my opinion) was this which resulted in an 8 week suspension

Edited by Exiled AusJag

I'm a Melbourne Victory foundation member and I love going to see them. Victory is the chosen team for all the Scots here in Melbourne. Too many ugly sister shirts go however, although there are Hearts, Hibs, Dundee Utd, Kilmarnock, Aberdeen shirts as well. Not to mention the Jags tops in the South End. The club song is certainly sung to the tune of Scotland The Brave. It is true that Victory is the biggest club in the A League, but I think that is good as the rivalry is mostly built around cities. Heart is new and of no consequences at all. Next to the Jags I would prefer to watch Victory than any other team. By the way Collingwood's President is a TV personality here named Eddie McGuire. His folks are from Glasgow, but unfortunately he dotes on the Celtic. My avator shows the Victory support at the North end of our ground. Note also they play in Scotland's colours.

Edited by ausjag

Not to mention the Jags tops in the South End.

That'll do it. If my family were to emigrate I would obviously be keeping an eye on Thistle but it would be impossible to get to games. Victory wouldn't replace, but might well do as substitute on the odd saturday afternoon. I'll be sure to wear my Jags top to the South End :thumbsup2:

• 1 month later...

I know who they belong to!!!!! and so does ausjag (Imagine plagerising half of my name) and I'm sure if the grammar or spelling is incorrect I'll be receiving a phone call from the aforementioned ausjag, a fellow glasguvian!!

My dearest friend, how was I to know you would have an avator similar to mine? By the way when are you and mrs you coming over for dinner again. I've got some excellent new recipes I want to try out. My mrs me sends her regards. Mon the Jags and of course Victory.

Can you believe they have sacked the most succedsful coach in the A League History. Because he was from Glasgow and sort of supported the Jags.

All very interesting.

As a new exile, I made my way along to the last Victory vs Heart match (that Muscat tackle match) wearing my Thistle blue centenary top. I went to support Heart as they were the new boys on the block and Victory seemed to be the big bad boys. At the pub before the match the Victory fans I talked to were shocked I was supporting Heart, especially wearing the top I was and they regaled me with the Scottish ancestry of the Victory. I must admit if it wasn't for Mr Muscat I am sure I would have supported the Victory.

On the subject of standard, that particular game was a good one (its the only one I've seen) and it was at least comparable to SPL on a good day! There was a decent crowd also, about 32,000! I will certainly go again but who to support.......

PS Just how many Jags fans are there in Melbourne, we could have a fans convention!

• 1 month later...

PS Just how many Jags fans are there in Melbourne, we could have a fans convention!

As of October, there will be a few more as me and the family are coming over for a bit whilst the wife's got mat leave and I've blagged a sabbatical from work. We'll be residing in Venus Bay at first but I imagine I'll be heading into Melbourne looking for work. Hopefully see you Aus guys for a game.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...