Boozers Of Yesteryear

Chicofan

I saw The Rose of Avalanche in Rooftops/Nightmoves. Maybe Christian Death as well, although that might have been cancelled (saw them about a dozen times so it's a bit blurry). The basement bars of both Lymburns and the Corn Exchange were good on saturdays. Alas I'm old enough to remember Hurricanes as well.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's now a Chinese restaurant, not sure when it was shut down. Looks like another old school music venue lost forever.

I reckon that Chinese restaurant has always been there, I vaguely remember always passing it in the stairs on the way up (the bouncers used to throw people back down those stairs!). There's a reasonable chance that the old venue, balconies included, is still there and just mothballed.

I reckon that Chinese restaurant has always been there, I vaguely remember always passing it in the stairs on the way up (the bouncers used to throw people back down those stairs!). There's a reasonable chance that the old venue, balconies included, is still there and just mothballed.

Correct about the Chinese restaurant - and probably so about the hall as well.

There used to be a dancing on top of the old Apollo as well,playhouse maybe,cant remember but mind going to see Toyah at the Apollo in suit and tie before going to it and the bouncers in the Apollo absolutly wetting themselves on the choice of tie.It had a scary lift up to it as well.

Nightmoves was a cracking venue. Saw REM play there, and the Eurythmics on the very week that "Sweet Dreams" kick-started their rise to stardom. As to the dancing above the Apollo and the Edinburgh Playhouse, they did exist (saw the Au Pairs in Edinburgh after Siouxsie and the Banshees played downstairs!) and they had the same name, but as usual I can't remember what it was.

Nightmoves was a cracking venue. Saw REM play there, and the Eurythmics on the very week that "Sweet Dreams" kick-started their rise to stardom. As to the dancing above the Apollo and the Edinburgh Playhouse, they did exist (saw the Au Pairs in Edinburgh after Siouxsie and the Banshees played downstairs!) and they had the same name, but as usual I can't remember what it was.

The dancing above the Apollo was called Clouds. The name is etched in my memory because back in the day when I was a roadie for Focus we had to take two artics worth of gear up the stairs and back down again because the lift was gubbed!

The dancing above the Apollo was called Clouds. The name is etched in my memory because back in the day when I was a roadie for Focus we had to take two artics worth of gear up the stairs and back down again because the lift was gubbed!

Was it not called Penthouse? At least it was, iirc, when I wen't to a Spear of Destiny gig in 1983.

Penthouse

Edit to add this

Clouds => Satellite City => Penthouse

Edited by German Jag

must've seen over a hundred bands at nitemoves as a callow youth. a few standouts and a lot of duffers but mostly forgotten because of too much watery lager (mcewans if i remember).

the venue above the playhouse was imaginatively called the niteclub. it's on the awesome edinburgh gig archive. it's a pity there's no equivalent for glasgow, the guy who runs it should be recognised for services to the music industry.

I saw The Cocteau Twins, Jonathan Richman, The Alarm, Win, King Kurt, The Meteors, Billy Bragg, The Redskins, X-Mal Deutchland, Alien Sex Fiend, Sex Gang Children and lots of other rubbish at Nightmoves/Rooftops.

Edited by i@n

My personal favourite was the Rock Garden.... Many a Friday was spent there awaiting the spin the wheel to come up 'half price bottled beer' ..... Stella @ ten bob a bottle.... Gies 20!!!

remember being in there one friday when the infamous cat fight on dynasty happened on the tv joan collins and linda evans (in think) drew a bigger crowd than a bruno fight and louder cheers

Used to do a lot of my younger drinking in the Griffen, was in the other week and all i am saying it was clear that G1 now owned the pub.

Also the Beresford in Sauchiehall street , which wa snow capitol, used to have apint in there while someone else waited in the queue for the garage, only for us all to jump in when he neared the front

Plenty pubs have changed name that often in the town i am unsure what they were called in the first place to start with.

Used to do a lot of my younger drinking in the Griffen, was in the other week and all i am saying it was clear that G1 now owned the pub.

Also the Beresford in Sauchiehall street , which wa snow capitol, used to have apint in there while someone else waited in the queue for the garage, only for us all to jump in when he neared the front

Plenty pubs have changed name that often in the town i am unsure what they were called in the first place to start with.

They don't. :thumbsup2:

Am I right in thinking that nobody yet has mentioned the Firhill Tavern?

I was never in there. How was it?

I was only ever in it once, before a midweek game in the 90's, not long before it shut. It was tiny and devoid of any Thistle fans. Never ventured in again.

I was only ever in it once, before a midweek game in the 90's, not long before it shut. It was tiny and devoid of any Thistle fans. Never ventured in again.

From your avatar I thought you'd had your own tankard behind the bar a la P. Beale :lol: .

I'm the same Mr G. - only in it once - before a game v Celtic many moons ago.

Would love to have gone to the Old Eagle Inn in Howard Street but it was pulled down (along with St. Enoch railway station) when I was still at primary school. Heard it was a cracking shop - sold real ale in the '70s, which was very rare for Glasgow back then.

Edited by Charlie Endell

About the Firhill Tavern, just to be exactly sure did it stand on the very bottom of Firhill Road, continuing onto Hinshaw Street and right beside Garscube Road?

Aye.

I remember my dad taking me in there a couple of times post-game to see the scores come in (on the BBC vidiprinter, Jeff Stelling hadn't been invented yet)for me, and for him to get a quick pint before dropping me off with my maw- was pretty spartan decor inside, spit and sawdust type place.

Sort of place I would have loved these days for that purpose, actually :lol:

Back in the mid eighties, The Islay and The Goat both had different names, one was The Patter Merchant but I cant remember which one it was, or what the other on was called. I also think the Indian on the same side as The Islay may also have been a pub back then as well.

The Goat, at one time, was Murphy's Pakora Bar.

Made the mistake of having the cabbage pakora... :puke:

Before that. He also had Murphys Barrelhouse round the corner in Kelvinhaugh St., Pakora Bar used to do a cracking Scottish breakfast, all pakorafied including scrambled eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!