Boozers Of Yesteryear

Chicofan

Back in the mid eighties, The Islay and The Goat both had different names, one was The Patter Merchant but I cant remember which one it was, or what the other on was called. I also think the Indian on the same side as The Islay may also have been a pub back then as well.

Islay Inn in the early 1980's was the Outside Inn. At that time it was a four storey building; punters having to evacuate the pub one eveining as the building started to collapse round about them. It was reopened as Monty's in the late 80's/early 90's.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw tons of bands in Nightmoves/Rooftops including REM, Stone Roses, The Gobetweens, and Sonic Youth. There wasn't any other mid-sized venue to touch it apart from maybe Daddy Warbucks (Splash One era) until King Tuts came along.

On pubs - The Apollo up near where The Flying Duck is was good for a wee while until it had to close because of water damage. Then the original 13th Note on Glassford Street run by the same guys was good for a while - lots of great gigs and club nights downstairs.

On pubs - The Apollo up near where The Flying Duck is was good for a wee while until it had to close because of water damage. Then the original 13th Note on Glassford Street run by the same guys was good for a while - lots of great gigs and club nights downstairs.

Genius but simple formula; put on 2 or 3 unknown bands on a quiet night, each band member invites 4 or 5 mates, place packed out.

It's all coming back. Also saw, Happy Mondays, Marc Riley and the Creepers and Win (ex Fire Engine Davy Henderson, Tennents Lager advert etc) at Nightmoves/Rooftops

Anyone remember when fans of Win pochled the Radio Clyde single of the year phone in? Richard Park was a bit non plussed when "You've got the Power" swept the board.

It's all coming back. Also saw, Happy Mondays, Marc Riley and the Creepers and Win (ex Fire Engine Davy Henderson, Tennents Lager advert etc) at Nightmoves/Rooftops

It was McEwans lager. Went to Nightmoves when I was about 15 and the bouncer apologised for having to charge us £2 to get in, because there was a live band. Turned out to be King, who were also on Swapshop the next morning. I had to watch it with mummy homerjag kidding on my head wasn't thumping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was McEwans lager. Went to Nightmoves when I was about 15 and the bouncer apologised for having to charge us £2 to get in, because there was a live band. Turned out to be King, who were also on Swapshop the next morning. I had to watch it with mummy homerjag kidding on my head wasn't thumping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday I walked past the bar, that's closed again, where Brahms & Lizt used to be. I used to really like that bar. They used to have a big barrel of peanuts in the middle of the floor. That's just reminded me of that wacky theme bar in Cambridge Street called 'Alice Underground'. It had a swimming pool area and an upside down piano and stuff like that.

Edited by alx