Archie...

Vom Itorium

With the season nearing the end and rumours abound of even more budget cuts from what McCall has to play with could we be seeing the end of the road for Archie at Firhill? His contract is due to expire in June and there has been no talk of him getting an extension so far as I can see.

I think it'd be a huge loss for the club were we to lose him, especially with the talk of Robbo being offski as well as we'd then have no experience at the back at all. For all some folk don't rate Archie that highly I think he's been an absolute rock in recent months and though his distribution leaves a lot to be desired he is first and foremost a defender and his defensive duties cannot be doubted.

We should be going out our way to make sure that this Family Fun day brings in enough money to help us retain the likes of Archie at the club.

With the season nearing the end and rumours abound of even more budget cuts from what McCall has to play with could we be seeing the end of the road for Archie at Firhill? His contract is due to expire in June and there has been no talk of him getting an extension so far as I can see.

I think it'd be a huge loss for the club were we to lose him, especially with the talk of Robbo being offski as well as we'd then have no experience at the back at all. For all some folk don't rate Archie that highly I think he's been an absolute rock in recent months and though his distribution leaves a lot to be desired he is first and foremost a defender and his defensive duties cannot be doubted.

We should be going out our way to make sure that this Family Fun day brings in enough money to help us retain the likes of Archie at the club.

If it becomes a straight choice between Archie or Robbo too stay then Robbo wins hands down for me.

I thought a throwaway line in the ET last week rather suggested Archie & Rowson are in McCall's plans.

Don't think it really matters what our views on the individual merits of Robbo or Archie. McCall would probably want to keep both on but equally probably can't justify that due to financial restraint. We really have to see the bigger picture re departures of other defenders before we could guess as to which one is more likelier to be kept on. For instance if Boyle leaves and is replaced by an inexperienced left back then keeping Archie would make a lot of sense. If Paton goes then retaining Robbo, as we've seen in the last two games, could be wiser :unsure: .

Just because we're more likely to have spare right sided players than left sided I'd imagine Robertson the more likely to leave than Archie.

I think archie would be a tad ungrateful not to accept reduced terms from us. We plucked him from obscurity playing for possil Y.M. when he was goin to give it up. We made him who he is, he's had his best days at us. We've gave him a lot so to not accept the terms and finish his career at us would be a kick in the teeth, a middle finger and a bit of adultery with my wife in my eyes

I think archie would be a tad ungrateful not to accept reduced terms from us. We plucked him from obscurity playing for possil Y.M. when he was goin to give it up. We made him who he is, he's had his best days at us. We've gave him a lot so to not accept the terms and finish his career at us would be a kick in the teeth, a middle finger and a bit of adultery with my wife in my eyes

Signed as a youngster from Kilwinning Rangers.....

Priorities in my opinion are Boyle and AN Striker. Its important we get those 2 signed up first and any money from the Family Day should go first to that before we look at signing Archie and other players up

I'm sure there was comment after the last MtM that McCall hinted on Archie and Rowson getting player/coach deals next season, with the departure of Sid and Jaggy. I'd assume if so they'd both be on reduced terms but we'd pay for them to get through their coaching qualifications.

As for a forward, given budget constraints I'd be reasonably content going into next season with Doolan, Grehan, Fraser and, assuming a full recovery is made, Kieran Burns. Although it would be nice to get one experienced finisher in.

The reality is that other clubs will be competing to sign our players who are out of contract in May. Several will/could be able to offer better wages than the Jags. The players, in this tough economic climate and rising inflation, cannot be blamed for looking for the best deals available. They have bills to pay and, in some cases, families to support.

Like most members here, I want us to retain Boyle, Rowson, Robertson, Archie and (possibly) Paton and Hodge. It is likely, given the reduced budget next season, that we will lucky to hold onto two, or at a pinch, three of them. It is equally possible that we could lose all of them. McCall would have a tough job trying to rebuild a defence that has been pretty solid since the arrival of Scott Fox. He would also have to find at least one experienced and able midfield player.

It is very likely that McCall will not be given his budget until May or June. Much will depend on attendances for the last few home games of the season. The team needs to realise that they are playing for their futures as well as points.

Apologies if wrong - Always thought it was Kilwinning we had singed him from.

sorry not trying to sound like a penis, but see peter mcdonald, who used to play for celtic? was a centre half for their youth team? he had to quit because he had bones in his foot. needed surgery 2 get them removed and came back a shadow. well his dad used to help bobby dinnie and spotted archibald playing for possil Y.M. archie was totally disillusioned with his life at the time, was working as a milk boy collecting peoples milk bottles and aggressively ringing their doors to get the money back the milk man the money he was owed when he got off the back of the van. believe glaswegian had photos of him sittin on a wiseman van. Or it was a dream i had, i can't remember :P

The reality is that other clubs will be competing to sign our players who are out of contract in May. Several will/could be able to offer better wages than the Jags. The players, in this tough economic climate and rising inflation, cannot be blamed for looking for the best deals available. They have bills to pay and, in some cases, families to support.

Like most members here, I want us to retain Boyle, Rowson, Robertson, Archie and (possibly) Paton and Hodge. It is likely, given the reduced budget next season, that we will lucky to hold onto two, or at a pinch, three of them. It is equally possible that we could lose all of them. McCall would have a tough job trying to rebuild a defence that has been pretty solid since the arrival of Scott Fox. He would also have to find at least one experienced and able midfield player.

It is very likely that McCall will not be given his budget until May or June. Much will depend on attendances for the last few home games of the season. The team needs to realise that they are playing for their futures as well as points.

Unfortunately, with little left to play for, I don't see our attendances improving much, if at all. Falkirk, Dundee, Dunfermline: all have been getting much bigger crowds than us, and there have been some bumper gates for Raith Rovers too.

And yet, those clubs face the same general issues as us: the monotony of playing the same teams several times each season, weather, cancellations, midweek games etc etc. I'm afraid it has to come down to the simple fact that more of our supporters have deserted, for one reason or another.

Unfortunately, with little left to play for, I don't see our attendances improving much, if at all. Falkirk, Dundee, Dunfermline: all have been getting much bigger crowds than us, and there have been some bumper gates for Raith Rovers too.

And yet, those clubs face the same general issues as us: the monotony of playing the same teams several times each season, weather, cancellations, midweek games etc etc. I'm afraid it has to come down to the simple fact that more of our supporters have deserted, for one reason or another.

There has not been much to play for for most of the season. Until Fox joined us, the defence was shaky and we were facing relegation. To get the crowds back next season, we will have to be in the top half of the league and challenging for promotion.

There has not been much to play for for most of the season. Until Fox joined us, the defence was shaky and we were facing relegation. To get the crowds back next season, we will have to be in the top half of the league and challenging for promotion.

Personally I'd have thought that was a hell of a lot to play for.

Fair comment tho' about the crowds for next season but I'm sure even if we were challenging at the top a fair chunk of our support would still find something to complain about to justify them not attending.

Of the current squad I feel there are a few who we really should try to sign up for next season. Archie, Rowser and SuBo are 3 who should be priority signings followed by Paton and Robbo if we can afford it. After that I feel the missing piece is a striker.

Goalies: Fox and Scully

Defenders: Kinniburgh, Archie, Boyle, McGeough with either Paton and Robertson or one of them and a loanee should suffice.

Midfielders: Rowson, Cairney, Erskine, MacBeth, Campbell and Bannigan, might need 1 other for cover...or use the emergency loan option if required.

Strikers: Grehan, Doolan, Fraser and Burns (if he recovers from injury and shows the same potential) + that priority striker.

A squad of 19 with the option of a loanee midfielder if needed. Threadbare and a good mix of experience and youth...particularly if we could sign someone in the mould of McMenamin, Deuchar or Hardie up front.

See, it's easy...don't know what McCall is worried about :rolleyes:

Archie and Rowson will probably get the coaching roles. I think both will sign up again.

We are facing the prospect of other first division clubs being able to sign our players.

Think we will already have the begging bowl out to spl clubs for yearlong loans. This will give us extra cover for little money.

I hope people will make every effort to get along to home games before the end of the season. If we did not have the bad start we would be right in about this promotion battle. I think we have a chance of getting involved next year.

The young boys will start to get regular games and QofS is a perfect game for one to start with maybe 2 or 3 coming off the bench. Hope people will get along to see this.

I seem to be one of the few that isn't really impressed with Archie, I read on here he's played well a few games this year that I've missed, so i can't judge him completely, but when I've seen him I've never thought he's that great, prefer Robbo etc to stay over him

It is very likely that McCall will not be given his budget until May or June. Much will depend on attendances for the last few home games of the season.

Archie and Rowson will probably get the coaching roles. I think both will sign up again.

We are facing the prospect of other first division clubs being able to sign our players.

Think we will already have the begging bowl out to spl clubs for yearlong loans. This will give us extra cover for little money.

I hope people will make every effort to get along to home games before the end of the season. If we did not have the bad start we would be right in about this promotion battle. I think we have a chance of getting involved next year.

The young boys will start to get regular games and QofS is a perfect game for one to start with maybe 2 or 3 coming off the bench. Hope people will get along to see this.

Totally agree - the sort of season we could have next time will depend a lot on what happens in the remainder of this one!

Of the current squad I feel there are a few who we really should try to sign up for next season. Archie, Rowser and SuBo are 3 who should be priority signings followed by Paton and Robbo if we can afford it. After that I feel the missing piece is a striker.

Goalies: Fox and Scully

Defenders: Kinniburgh, Archie, Boyle, McGeough with either Paton and Robertson or one of them and a loanee should suffice.

Midfielders: Rowson, Cairney, Erskine, MacBeth, Campbell and Bannigan, might need 1 other for cover...or use the emergency loan option if required.

Strikers: Grehan, Doolan, Fraser and Burns (if he recovers from injury and shows the same potential) + that priority striker.

A squad of 19 with the option of a loanee midfielder if needed. Threadbare and a good mix of experience and youth...particularly if we could sign someone in the mould of McMenamin, Deuchar or Hardie up front.

See, it's easy...don't know what McCall is worried about :rolleyes:

Maxwell is out of contract at the end of the season. I assume that he will be retained, both as assistant manager and a player (emergency cover).

There are a few more youth players who are out of contract in May, e.g. Shepherd, Lochead, Stevenson. Do you think that McCall will be able/want to keep them?

• Members

There will be hundreds of players looking for new Clubs come the Summer and as Clubs everywhere tighten their belts, some of our players might not find it so easy to find a new Club.

The Likes of Archie, Rowson and Robertson wont get a deal with an SPL side at their age, so realistically, they will be looking for a deal with another 1st Division side unless they decide they want to go part-time. I'd guess that Raith, Cowdenbeath, Stirling, Livvy couldn't offer much better terms than Thistle. Dundee, Falkirk and Queens all have well publicised money problems which leaves Dunfermilne, Ross County and Morton. Ross County would be a major re-location for a central based player, Dunfermilne probably have better or as good as players for those positions already and that would leave Morton.

If Thistle want to keep at least two of those 3 players, I suspect it shouldn't be a problem.

Maxwell is out of contract at the end of the season. I assume that he will be retained, both as assistant manager and a player (emergency cover).

There are a few more youth players who are out of contract in May, e.g. Shepherd, Lochead, Stevenson. Do you think that McCall will be able/want to keep them?

I deliberately omitted the player/coaches because i dont have a scooby what's gona happen with them, I think all 4 are finished in a playing sense tho.

As for the out of contract youth players, if they are young enough to continue playing for the under 19s then I'd give them another year (the 3 you mention at least)...again tho, not sure what McCall is likely to do given the budget for next season.

I seem to be one of the few that isn't really impressed with Archie, I read on here he's played well a few games this year that I've missed, so i can't judge him completely, but when I've seen him I've never thought he's that great, prefer Robbo etc to stay over him

Having seen most games Robertson has had a few more poor games than Archie. Very un-Robbo like but he even went thru a bad spell earlier in the season. Magic wand time but if our finances/player budget suddenly became less severe I'd be happy if both could stay. Add Rowson and a Hardie type player (in style & experience) and we've got the makings of a decent team. Sadly we all know that's highly unlikely and we've just got to hope for added maturity from the likes of Willie K, Cairney and hopefuly Boyle.

If Robbo has to leave I'd rather hope McCall announces that soon. In this day and age he's been a loyal player for us (5 seasons?) and he looks like he's got at least one season left at an upper SFL level. That would give him an edge in finding another suitable club. It's also good PR for us. We don't pay well so anything that shows us in a good light employment wise is worthwhile.