100 Golas Keeper

Mr Bunny

Why not? A couple of wayward kicks on Saturday due to bobbles, but his kicking is generally excellent. And seriously, when is the last time we had somebody who was really likely to score from free-kicks. Boab McCulloch?

Simon Donnelly's effort on Saturday was, well,... like a Simon Donnelly effort.

see that first penalty, that infuriated me. see when a goalie falls the wrong way? why not watch the penalty taker, read his body language and save it. even if he has a poker body, see where the ball is going and try and try save it. if your reflexes are worth anything then u have a chance of saving i. all this flopping on your side the wrong way is pittiful. do these goalies have no self pride?

Edited by Gimp

see that first penalty, that infuriated me. see when a goalie falls the wrong way? why not watch the penalty taker, read his body language and save it. even if he has a poker body, see where the ball is going and try and try save it. if your reflexes are worth anything then u have a chance of saving i. all this flopping on your side the wrong way is pittiful. do these goalies have no self pride?

They are reading the penalty takers' body language. The thing is the takers know that and try to mask their body language or trick the keeper by making it look like they're shooting the other way. The keepers aren't just guessing.

For example, Oliver Kahn used to use the penalty takers non-kicking foot as an indicator which way the shot would go, that wouldn't work so well now because players often know keepers use that, and either point their foot straight or point it the opposite way (which makes the shot a little more awkward though).

They are reading the penalty takers' body language. The thing is the takers know that and try to mask their body language or trick the keeper by making it look like they're shooting the other way. The keepers aren't just guessing.

For example, Oliver Kahn used to use the penalty takers non-kicking foot as an indicator which way the shot would go, that wouldn't work so well now because players often know keepers use that, and either point their foot straight or point it the opposite way (which makes the shot a little more awkward though).

That's pretty much what Chris Erskine does to try to beat a defender. He points one foot straight, and the other one the opposite way. Or is it both the opposite way? No, wait a minute, he points one foot to the left and the other to the right. I mean both to the left. Ach feck it, you all saw the end result on Saturday.

All that's true but it's still true that a lot of keepers dive well before the kicker is about to hit the ball ... which means even if he intended to shoot the same way as the keeper guessed, he can easily change ... sometimes he can just pass it into the middle of the goal.

Keepers are on a hiding to nothing of course but I tend to think they do dive too soon too often .. they'd be better waiting as long as they can and try to move as the kicking foot starts to move forward. If the kicker hits a perfect penalty or somehow still deceives the keeper then he's beat but if he doesn't then the keeper's got a decent chance to save as the kicker doesn't have an 'open goal'.

I sometimes think that some keepers dive so soon either because they're nervous or because they figure if they do that they'll be seen as making an attempt and will have covered their a'ses.

I enjoyed the video a few years back that showed the Goalkeeper scoring from a penalty. He then spent so much time celebrating that when he crossed the halfway line the ref blew to restart the game and the ball was punted into his net.

Should have made sure some of his mates were still in the opposition half till he got back in goal. :lol: