And After All That Fuss

Vom Itorium

Adding play offs is all that is needed if you ask me. The same people will mump and moan when teams have nothing to play for come christmas if we had bigger leagues. It dilutes the quality too when you make the field bigger. Sure playing each team four sometimes is not fun, but thats Scotland, we're a small country and its one of the cons that comes with it that we just have to deal with.

What else would I do? Shut the league down the whole of January and play until the end of May. Means no complete change to summer football, but also take advantage of the better weather and the fact people are skint after Christmas.

Adding play offs is all that is needed if you ask me. The same people will mump and moan when teams have nothing to play for come christmas if we had bigger leagues. It dilutes the quality too when you make the field bigger. Sure playing each team four sometimes is not fun, but thats Scotland, we're a small country and its one of the cons that comes with it that we just have to deal with.

What else would I do? Shut the league down the whole of January and play until the end of May. Means no complete change to summer football, but also take advantage of the better weather and the fact people are skint after Christmas.

I'm serious about the idea of matches only every fortnight, meaning that teams only play each other twice a season. It would also allow players to recover from injury, and teams could play in the European matches or friendlies all they wanted.

How to deal with the 50% reduction in income? Easy, double the price of admission. It works out the same, and each game would be more meaningful, more of an event, as they were all less frequent.

Edited by Jaggernaut

I'm serious about the idea of matches only every fortnight, meaning that teams only play each other twice a season. It would also allow players to recover from injury, and teams could play in the European matches or friendlies all they wanted.

How to deal with the 50% reduction in income? Easy, double the price of admission. It works out the same, and each game would be more meaningful, more of an event, as they were all less frequent.

BBC radio seemed quite confident that they`d introduce a play off as part of the package and it would in all probability start at the end of the coming season. This let`s them seem radical and throws the SFL a bone. Good result for us.

That would have a hefty impact on patg, fairweather fans as well as neutrals. The temptation to say f**k it, can't be @rsed etc. because it's raining or whatever becomes much higher when the sum of money gets close to 40 quid.

I was walking around in the pishing rain in May and June laughing at the idea that we could make any change to the regular season that would mean we could guarantee less call offs/disruption etc. If we played in May/June this year, there would have been as many call offs for waterlogged pitches as there were for frozen ones in December/January. A professional game would never have gone ahead in the conditions we all played the Firhill Cup for instance. Then when do the outstanding fixtures get played - June/July when people are on holiday?

IMO the only way we could minimise disruption is for the clubs to be given money from a central pot, in order that they spend it on pitch covers/protection etc, to at least try and minimise the impact of the weather. We can't guarantee what the weather is going to be like at any time of year so theres no real point in taking a punt on it being any less severe.

Edited by MerryHell

I'd go along with that particularly extending into May. Personally I'd rather see some Saturday fixtures in January remain (maybe two and the Cup game) but any canceled/postponed league games rescheduled for later in the season. In other words put an end to midweek league games being played December/January/February. I feel more folk would buy season tickets if they knew beforehand they'd not be subjected to turning up at Firhill on some miserable freezing Tuesday night. Also as MWM points out folk are skint after Xmas.

btw I've always thought that the introduction of play offs involving 2nd, 3rd & 4th would open the way for league extension. I don't subscribe to the meaningless games theory as in a league of 16 clubs there would be fewer league games than at present and thus unlikely to be any increase in nothing to play for mid table games.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I don't subscribe to the meaningless games theory as in a league of 16 clubs there would be fewer league games than at present and thus unlikely to be any increase in nothing to play for mid table games.

Neither do I. The league would be tighter as a result, top teams wouldn't win any more points than currently and bottom teams wouldn't win less, with more teams packed in between there would surely be more competition at the tail end of the season, except for maybe a few clubs in the middle, but that is no different to what we have now. On top of that, Teams like Hearts and Dundee Utd would lose extra games against Rangers and Celtic and gain games against us, Hamilton, Dundee etc, and would therefore be more likely to challenge.

Only in Scotland would you have all this fuss over what is essentially a return to the pre-SPL set up, with one or two minor tweaks. As for play offs I do agree that they generate excitement, but equally they negate the whole concept of league football. So I'm against them in principle but I'm enough of a realist to accept them in practise. As for numbers its surely got to be a 14/16 team top flight, I can see no reasonable argument against this.

I hope you're joking.

A play-off between the SPL and the First Division is what I wanted. I hope this goes ahead.

Well that is a different one, but only two game a month, no thanks.

• Members

I was walking around in the pishing rain in May and June laughing at the idea that we could make any change to the regular season that would mean we could guarantee less call offs/disruption etc. If we played in May/June this year, there would have been as many call offs for waterlogged pitches as there were for frozen ones in December/January.

Indeed, the Hibs game was called off on Saturday due to their ground flooding before their friendly with Barnsley.

No to doubling admission price and halfing number of games. Thats classic siguesiguespunknik material.

Only in Scotland would you have all this fuss over what is essentially a return to the pre-SPL set up, with one or two minor tweaks. As for play offs I do agree that they generate excitement, but equally they negate the whole concept of league football. So I'm against them in principle but I'm enough of a realist to accept them in practise. As for numbers its surely got to be a 14/16 team top flight, I can see no reasonable argument against this.

14 would be a slight improvement, but 16 or 18 team league is way forward. Automatic 2 up, 2 down, with playoff spot for 3rd bottom and 3rd top.

Regional mini-leagues of 4 or 5, for opening round of League Cup, home and away.

No to doubling admission price and halfing number of games. Thats classic siguesiguespunknik material.

14 would be a slight improvement, but 16 or 18 team league is way forward. Automatic 2 up, 2 down, with playoff spot for 3rd bottom and 3rd top.

Regional mini-leagues of 4 or 5, for opening round of League Cup, home and away.

:thumbsup2: singing from the same hymn sheet.

Currently we are assured of 18 home games and a 50/50 split of one league cup game. A league of 16 clubs results in 15 home league matches and a mini league of of 5 clubs in the League Cup a further assured 4 home games.

Furthermore that sort of template would guarantee we play at least 18 different clubs within the league and league cup as opposed to only 10 different clubs today.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

:thumbsup2: singing from the same hymn sheet.

Currently we are assured of 18 home games and a 50/50 split of one league cup game. A league of 16 clubs results in 15 home league matches and a mini league of of 5 clubs in the League Cup a further assured 4 home games.

Furthermore that sort of template would guarantee we play at least 18 different clubs within the league and league cup as opposed to only 10 different clubs today.

You don't play against yourself :P

Otherwise, in complete agreement :thumbsup2:

Around the same time next year the new ideas for league reconstruction will be announced. A ten team SPL with more compensation for teams being relegated. As this will be the only way for Scottish football to survive so all SPL clubs will have to vote for it.

Deja Vue anyone?