Worst Fans In Scotland?

Ultras Thistle

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite my initial enthusiaism for the notion of replicating ultras groups in this country id have to say that now i feel different.

Ultras grew up in a particular context as a response to particular concerns permeating fan culture within that context. The concerns here id say would be different. Thats not to say that I do not believe that some things can influences from other football cultures can be a bad thing for instance ultras in italy got a lot of their practice such as standing up from english fans.

The concern against 'no to moderno calcio' probably does not resonate with a small first division team that is very much financed upon a very old school and decaying model of management. So i can't really see that spirit taking off on our fanbase. It's far more likely to resonate with supporters of bigger teams where they have made the transfer to being a brand and that football is more driven by influences such as sponsorship and tv etc...

For all me being an edgit that admires the green brigade - the fact that they have just gone into negotations with lawwel and co at celtic park and gained an entire section that they can run as they please shows how being organised as a group can be of benefit.

The problems that make our football a crap atmosphere needs to be thourghly anaylised before entering into a programme of action. What is right for juventas, man u, celtic, stirling albion etc is going to be different for our context.

There are of course far more important things to be worried about that how good an atmosphere is at a football ground but still nonetheless has some relevance for supporters.

I have been criticised in the past for arguing along the lines that there needs to be more homage paid within football for the wider political currrents affecting our society. Often, i was hit with the argument that politics should be left to the old firm and that thistle was bi contrast an apolitcal zone.

Within the last year we have witnessed the rise of the EDL which draws in the main from football casual ranks. This rise corresponds incidentaly to the to the rise of the BNP in former labour areas when the new labour project abandoned the working class. The point is that if you make an area seemingly aploitical then someone will fill that vaccume.

I have heard rumours that some of our own NGE were involved in the SDL marches. I genuinely hope this is not true. But if this is true, and if this is a trend that is gaining momentum,then the neccessity of left minded people becoming organised amongst any football supporting ranks becomes all the more apparent - in the same way that the left needs to reengage in working class communities to combat facsism.

Edited by mrD

What a "manufactured atmosphere" is and why there's nothing worse than it.

For a contrived attempt at creating an atmosphere look no further than last season's 'Let's fill Firhill' campaign. A valiant, but ill-advised, ill-judged and ill-timed project which ended in failure. A situation that's arisen almost every time the club has attempted to manipulate the support. It's quite embarrasing and painful to see a three-quarter full Jackie Husband stand make a half-arsed go of raising their scarves "for the JAAAAAAAAAAAGS!"

We've already covered the Rangers games, but take December's match against Dundee as another example of when there's been a genuine buzz about the place. Was that down to the club branding it 'Glasgow's Big Game'? No. It was a chance to put the division's big spenders in their place while demonstrating we were capable of mounting a serious title challenge. No ultras style jiggery-pokery required.

Edited by The Incredible Adam Spark

For a contrived attempt at creating an atmosphere look no further than last season's 'Let's fill Firhill' campaign. A valiant, but ill-advised, ill-judged and ill-timed project which ended in failure. A situation that's arisen almost every time th e club has attempted to manipulate the support. It's quite embarrasing and painful to see a three-quarter full Jackie Husband stand make a half-arsed go of raising their scarves "for the JAAAAAAAAAAAGS!"

We've already covered the Rangers games, but take December's macth against Dundee as another example of when there's been a genuine buzz about the place. Was that down to the club branding it 'Galsgow's Big Game'? No. It was a chance to put the division's big spenders in there place while demonstrating we were capable of mounting a serious title challenge. No ultras style jiggery-pokery required.

I take your point. Up to a point. I think there's a difference between the club trying to generate an atmosphere and the fans trying to generate an atmosphere. I'd go with the fans every time.

My own view, for what it's worth, is that you cannot generate an atmosphere in a stadium where there is emptiness behind one of the goals and an emptiness in the Main Stand. But I do support those who would try...

I think there's a difference between the club trying to generate an atmosphere and the fans trying to generate an atmosphere.

No, you're right. I was blurring the boundries between the two. How would you define the Shed Boys? A genuine fans group, even though they appeared to be the brainchild of one of the directors?

Edited by The Incredible Adam Spark

I am all for boys trying to make the atmosphere better at Firhill, because everyone knows it could do with a lift. Fair enough if a few groups of guys stand together and form a bigger group, but why does it need to have a name??? Can you not just be a big group of Jags fans that stand together and sing?? That's all that's needed, home and away.

Couple of requests though if this does take off;

1. Please, please, please don't involve a drum in any way at all.

2. Stick to the tried and tested songs!!

3. Don't try and make it 'family friendly', if guys don't want their weans involved then they will have to wait till they are older.

All the best with it.

The atmosphere at Firhill totally died in the last half of the season. The reason for this was that the players chucked it, they gave up and so did the fans. You won’t be able to change that. Just promise not to use a drum and promise not to make a bebo website about it.

For a contrived attempt at creating an atmosphere look no further than last season's 'Let's fill Firhill' campaign. A valiant, but ill-advised, ill-judged and ill-timed project which ended in failure. A situation that's arisen almost every time the club has attempted to manipulate the support. It's quite embarrasing and painful to see a three-quarter full Jackie Husband stand make a half-arsed go of raising their scarves "for the JAAAAAAAAAAAGS!"

We've already covered the Rangers games, but take December's match against Dundee as another example of when there's been a genuine buzz about the place. Was that down to the club branding it 'Glasgow's Big Game'? No. It was a chance to put the division's big spenders in their place while demonstrating we were capable of mounting a serious title challenge. No ultras style jiggery-pokery required.

Excellent post.

My own view, for what it's worth, is that you cannot generate an atmosphere in a stadium where there is emptiness behind one of the goals and an emptiness in the Main Stand. But I do support those who would try...

I couldn't agree more.

I couldn't agree more.

In relation to crazy davie's post, I couldn't agree less, or at least i'd be looking for a better definition of the word atmosphere, i've been to plenty games(more away than home right enough)where around 20 fans out of 4 or 5 hundred make a go of it for 90 minutes, and at best it permiated out to reach a couple of hundred once or twice during the game. I've even been to such matches and heard those fans in the thick of it saying "that was brilliant today,great atmosphere" and others at the game claiming "it was like a morgue" .

I'm presuming that the definition of atmosphere being discussed here is an all over buzz that every fan in the ground can feel? Fair enough, but if that's the definition of atmosphere then 'match experience' is something you make for yourself.

You don't need big crowds at all, 20 people can create an atmosphere, but you do need to be enjoying yourself in some way or another.

I'm presuming that the definition of atmosphere being discussed here is an all over buzz that every fan in the ground can feel?

You don't need big crowds at all, 20 people can create an atmosphere, but you do need to be enjoying yourself in some way or another.

I'm posting on the understanding of an "all over buzz" atmosphere.

I totally agree with your other point - you can create a local atmosphere amongst yourselves.

I've got to take my hat off to the shed boys, uberteeb's right, the atmosphere died when the players chucked it, so you can't blame the fans for doing the same.

At the away days you got a crowd of train dwellers, the ian mac's, dave.j's, honk honk's, all those guys who made the atmosphere at an away game, they met up with other folk at the game and had a great day out. From what i saw of ayr, dingwall and dundee, they were the atmosphere.

It was all based around fun, the pleasure of being a jags fan, getting out of the city and singing it loud.

All this ultra **** is a waste of time, it stereotypes and locks people into a certain genre, one which is not welcome in scottish football, unless you're a celtic fan.

What do i say? Well, take a look at this forum, do these lads post on here? Not many if a few. They've moved on and they're on their own forum, joining forces with the boys from the City Centre Bus... They're starting up 5 a side teams, playing each other every week. Organising train trips to annan... Fact is, come the end of july, it'll be these guys we look to, to get their tops off in rain soaked dingwall etc.

These guys are the away day face of the Thistle terrace, and we should be proud of them, join them, and live it! ;)

ultra's?

not welcome at firhill.

Edited by potty trained

I've got to take my hat off to the shed boys, uberteeb's right, the atmosphere died when the players chucked it, so you can't blame the fans for doing the same.

At the away days you got a crowd of train dwellers, the ian mac's, dave.j's, honk honk's, all those guys who made the atmosphere at an away game, they met up with other folk at the game and had a great day out. From what i saw of ayr, dingwall and dundee, they were the atmosphere.

It was all based around fun, the pleasure of being a jags fan, getting out of the city and singing it loud.

All this ultra **** is a waste of time, it stereotypes and locks people into a certain genre, one which is not welcome in scottish football, unless you're a celtic fan.

What do i say? Well, take a look at this forum, do these lads post on here? Not many if a few. They've moved on and they're on their own forum, joining forces with the boys from the City Centre Bus... They're starting up 5 a side teams, playing each other every week. Organising train trips to annan... Fact is, come the end of july, it'll be these guys we look to, to get their tops off in rain soaked dingwall etc.

These guys are the away day face of the Thistle terrace, and we should be proud of them, join them, and live it! ;)

ultra's?

not welcome at firhill.

I had noticed a considerable amount of absentees on this forum and wondered where they were, this post has just unclogged my (drunk) memory bank and I now recall speaking to a City Centre guy at the POTY night about this other forum.

Great post, and what I was getting at in my initial post on this thread :thumbsup2:

From what i saw of ayr, dingwall and dundee, they were the atmosphere.

Rubbish. With regards to Ayr and Dundee, these were two destinations where we took a sizeable and vocal support. Dingwall, with its terrace, is a ground where atmosphere can be pretty much guaranteed.

Sure, these guys should be commended for regularly attending away games, but let's not put them on a pedestal here or paint them as super fans. What we don't need is divisions among the support, which the creation of seperate forums and the highlighting of individuals is sure to create.

Neither should we ignore the fact that some of these guys can also be some of the players' most spiteful critics, as guys like Paul Paton and Stevie Lennon can attest. Or that getting pissed and flashing your sagging man tits isn't everyone's idea of a good atmosphere.

Shouldn't the people who belittle the atmosphere at Firhill, and "love" the atmosphere on away days / train days, not just start drinking at 9:00 am prior to heading up to Firhill!

It's the same sh!te football with the same punters in the ground, only difference is level of sobriety!

These guys are the away day face of the Thistle terrace, and we should be proud of them,

No we shouldn't. A shower of daft, pished boys staggering about with their tops off isn't creating an atmosphere. It's the kind of cringworthy crap that you would expect from the Tartan Army.

Why not stick to singing our songs loudly? We have many original songs to be proud of.

Also, who are you to say ultras are not welcome at Firhill? Are you the spokesman for the Thistle support, because you certainly don't speak for me or my mates.

Edited by Tom Stronach

We may not be able to do anything about the quality on the pitch but we can help to improve the atmosphere and make firhill a great place to watch football again.

Thistle Ultras/ Ultras Thistle, I commend your enthusiasm and commitment in making this happen. I'm actually glad someone like this cropped up on the forum, what with the constant negativity surrounding the Club. Theres many folk, who share the same opinion, so I'm glad there is someone bringing it to the forefront of the fans attention.

The name or proposed first name - ultras. Ditch it. Just stand in the Shed End. With the size of the JHS, the more singers the better.

Like Uberteeb mentioned, when the players chucked it last season, so did the fans and myself, from a singing point of view. The product on the park didn't help either. But the games againt Dundee and Dundee United at home, were great. A game to look forward to in the week and a good amount of folk creating an atmosphere.

Just make sure yous get the words right in the songs.

I like the idea of 'The Firhill Aggro' but maybe the use of Aggro might come across as a bit casual-esque.

It's tradition, is it not? So lets keep it that way, in my opinion.

Agree with everything you said.

3. Don't try and make it 'family friendly', if guys don't want their weans involved then they will have to wait till they are older.

All of this. Especially point number two.

Rubbish. With regards to Ayr and Dundee, these were two destinations where we took a sizeable and vocal support. Dingwall, with its terrace, is a ground where atmosphere can be pretty much guaranteed.

Sure, these guys should be commended for regularly attending away games, but let's not put them on a pedestal here or paint them as super fans. What we don't need is divisions among the support, which the creation of seperate forums and the highlighting of individuals is sure to create.

Neither should we ignore the fact that some of these guys can also be some of the players' most spiteful critics, as guys like Paul Paton and Stevie Lennon can attest. Or that getting pissed and flashing your sagging man tits isn't everyone's idea of a good atmosphere.

Theres already divisions in the support, whether that is regarding to opinions on Propco, the Board, McCall etc, etc. As long as the constant negativity surrounding the Club continues, I can't see this changing. I can only see it getting worse.

Just the sort of comment that will unite the fan.

Yeh it's a regular occurence now, not noticed?

No we shouldn't. A shower of daft, pished boys staggering about with their tops off isn't creating an atmosphere. It's the kind of cringworthy crap that you would expect from the Tartan Army.

The sort of stuff the admin on jagsforum.net got sick of, so eventually chucked it. Nice to see it's still cropping up.

A shower of daft, pished boys staggering about with their tops off isn't creating an atmosphere. It's the kind of cringworthy crap that you would expect from the Tartan Army.

Were you there?

Edited by northernsoul

Anyway it isnt the name that matters its the atmosphere that this group will be able to generate. The regular fans are already going to games so we just need to try and get those who are willing to participate in singing etc to sit together and raise the noise level.

We may not be able to do anything about the quality on the pitch but we can help to improve the atmosphere and make firhill a great place to watch football again.

Thistle Ultras/ Ultras Thistle, I commend your enthusiasm and commitment in making this happen. I'm actually glad someone like this cropped up on the forum, what with the constant negativity surrounding the Club. Theres many folk, who share the same opinion, so I'm glad there is someone bringing it to the forefront of the fans attention.

The name or proposed first name - ultras. Ditch it. Just stand in the Shed End. With the size of the JHS, the more singers the better.

Like Uberteeb mentioned, when the players chucked it last season, so did the fans and myself, from a singing point of view. The product on the park didn't help either. But the games againt Dundee and Dundee United at home, were great. A game to look forward to in the week and a good amount of folk creating an atmosphere.

Just make sure yous get the words right in the songs.

I like the idea of 'The Firhill Aggro' but maybe the use of Aggro might come across as a bit casual-esque.

It's tradition, is it not? So lets keep it that way, in my opinion.

Completely agree.

I am all for boys trying to make the atmosphere better at Firhill, because everyone knows it could do with a lift. Fair enough if a few groups of guys stand together and form a bigger group, but why does it need to have a name??? Can you not just be a big group of Jags fans that stand together and sing?? That's all that's needed, home and away.

All the best with it.

All of this. Especially point number two.

Theres already divisions in the support, whether that is regarding to opinions on Propco, the Board, McCall etc, etc. As long as the constant negativity surrounding the Club continues, I can't see this changing. I can only see it getting worse.

Just the sort of comment that will unite the fans.

Yeh it's a regular occurence now, not noticed?

Were you there?

Just the sort of stuff the admin on jagsforum.net got sick of, so eventually chucked it. Nice to see it's still cropping up.

Edited by northernsoul