Mccall Green Light

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So your saying its acceptable for a striker to only score 10 goals a season which wont be a championship winning team hmmm?

I don't think he was viewed second or third choice by McCall after playing him basically all season.

We do need a big tall striker!

We've needed a 'big' striker for years. We got one last season and he was gash.

In answer to your question regarding an acceptable goal return, would you, or anyone else for that matter, care to list the number of goals the strikers at our rival First Division clubs scored last season? I'm pretty sure Sid's tally of 10 wouldn't look out of place.

I'm not sure what your last point's getting at. I think McCall was forced to play him "basically all season" due to circumstance. In that respect, I don't think his goal return was anything to be sniffed at.

In answer to your question regarding an acceptable goal return, would you, or anyone else for that matter, care to list the number of goals the strikers at our rival First Division clubs scored last season? I'm pretty sure Sid's tally of 10 wouldn't look out of place.

I'm not sure what your last point's getting at. I think McCall was forced to play him "basically all season" due to circumstance. In that respect, I don't think his goal return was anything to be sniffed at.

Martin Grehan is supposed to be the tall striker that we need. He and Doolan must deliver.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_div_1/div_1_scorers/default.stm

He finished with 8 league goals according to the BBC, good for equal 12th in the league, only 2 goals/5 places behind Buchanan. I know Buchanan was injured for parts of the season, but Donnelly is supposed to create chances for others rather than finish goals off and his tally compares well to other strikers that have previously been suggested as signing targets on this and other forums.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_div_1/div_1_scorers/default.stm

He finished with 8 league goals according to the BBC, good for equal 12th in the league, only 2 goals/5 places behind Buchanan. I know Buchanan was injured for parts of the season, but Donnelly is supposed to create chances for others rather than finish goals off and his tally compares well to other strikers that have previously been suggested as signing targets on this and other forums.

Just as many goals as a Mark Roberts, though he was Ayr's main threat. Slagging off Donnelly's goals based on last season is daft - based on his thistle career then maybe, but he has shown he has it in him now.

I handed my season ticket cheque in 3weeks ago and still it is yet to be cashed, they are obviously not that desperate for the money or they would have cashed it weeks ago.

The directors obviously haven't decided whose "area of responsibility" is paying in at the bank.

Why do we need a big tall striker?

Has the long ball game become the accepted football of choice for the thistle fan?

:o

I hope not, infact I would hope that McCall has a liitle bit of something in him to realise that football should be played on that green stuff...

Am i right in saying, Gerree aside, Toastie and Grady were probably two of the best headers of a ball, the Thistle strike force has seen in the 21st century?

Why do we need a big tall striker?

Has the long ball game become the accepted football of choice for the thistle fan?

:o

I hope not, infact I would hope that McCall has a liitle bit of something in him to realise that football should be played on that green stuff...

Am i right in saying, Gerree aside, Toastie and Grady were probably two of the best headers of a ball, the Thistle strike force has seen in the 21st century?

You've got a point till you remember the deteriorating state of the pitch each season and that kinda nullifies it. You're spot on though re Toastie & Grady. Imo Grady was the best header of a ball we've had in the last 10 years.

The big forward that so many of us are always going on about doesn't have to be that proficient in the goal scoring department, just someone to shake defences up and who wins balls in the air. All our recent attempts at getting hold of this breed of player have been abject. One, Akins, Ritchie, Keogh Mooc, Keegan couldn't even do the basics. The likes of Russell, Lovell, di Giacomo could but didn't. I don't believe there's many that didn't think highly of Gerry B but just in case there is that rogues gallery of his successors would surely change their opinion. I can't believe any other rival club has had such a continuous run of duds. :(

Obviously the jury's out on Grehan but from what I've seen I've been mildly impressed. :thinking: Gotta believe in the law of averages.

Here we go again say something about Simon Donnolly and you have to hate the guy or its the routine bashing of a so called one of the best players to play at Firhill. My god how rotten must we have become if Simon Donnolly is one of the better players here at Firhill. If he was that good and if he was such an integral part of a good team then he wouldnt be here. He would be at another promotion chasing team with a better budget.

My main point is that he does not bring enough to the team over the season to justify the small bits that we do see. If you are genuine title challengers then he is a luxury that you cant afford. As for the quote about Rowson get a grip totally different player and the last time I looked played by McCall in a holding defensive midfield roll.

Its pace that the team needs in abundance and Donnolly will never give you that and as for 8 goals in a season if he was that speacial and ahead of his time he would be in those dangerous areas or leaving defenders behind with all that guile and talent he obviously has.

My main point is that he does not bring enough to the team over the season to justify the small bits that we do see. If you are genuine title challengers then he is a luxury that you cant afford.

Its pace that the team needs in abundance and Donnolly will never give you that and as for 8 goals in a season if he was that speacial and ahead of his time he would be in those dangerous areas or leaving defenders behind with all that guile and talent he obviously has.

I'd hate to think where we'd have finished last season had Donnelly not chipped in with those goals.

Look at the striking options we currently have. What's missing? Experience. If someone like Donnelly can help bring on those players while contributing goals and assists thewn he's more than welcome at Firhill, imo.

I'd hate to think where we'd have finished last season had Donnelly not chipped in with those goals.

Look at the striking options we currently have. What's missing? Experience. If someone like Donnelly can help bring on those players while contributing goals and assists thewn he's more than welcome at Firhill, imo.

Maybe another player given the same playing time would have scored more? Doolan perhaps?