No Signings For A While Yet It Seems...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to commend his attitude, but he'll be gone by the start of the season...won't he :thinking: ?

Boyle will go to Dumbarton, possibly on loan with Corcoran, which is becoming a team of Firhill rejects.

Edited by kni

Boyle will go to Dumbarton, possibly on loan with Corcoran, which is becoming a team of Firhill rejects.

Becoming?

Dumbarton has been our player graveyard for a good few seasons now.

As for us, we'll be getting reaquainted with the likes of Dumbarton if the board's penny pinching carries on.

Only a few of the current squad are 1st Division standard - Robertson, Rowson, Cairney, Buchanan and, depending on his recovery, Archie. The rest (including the proposed player coaches) are past their best, unproven or simply not good enough.

Frankly, we are going to struggle this season and McCall must take most of the blame. He handed out two and three year deals to ageing and unproven players. There is little or no scope to improve this squad, especially if he brings back Hinchcliffe, Maxwell and Donnelly.

Blaming the Board for not investing is to avoid the big issue - McCall's judgement. He has wasted a lot of money on dud signings like Hamilton, Boyle and Hodge.

And whose fault is that?

Exactly!!! Who are the 2 main guys in the boardroom? I would still say Cowpat and Hugh Jarse. The 2 guys that when they took control during STJ stated that they would NEVER let the club get into such debt ever again. Dear oh dear...fast forward 12 years!!!!

And whose fault is that?

Lots of people are to blame, not just 2 board members, but what's the point in going on about it? It is what it is and pointing the finger is not going to help. Fact is we are skint and criticising the board for penny pinching in one post then blaming them (or suggesting blame on them) for our financial mess in another is hypocritical.

Only a few of the current squad are 1st Division standard - Robertson, Rowson, Cairney, Buchanan and, depending on his recovery, Archie. The rest (including the proposed player coaches) are past their best, unproven or simply not good enough.

Frankly, we are going to struggle this season and McCall must take most of the blame. He handed out two and three year deals to ageing and unproven players. There is little or no scope to improve this squad, especially if he brings back Hinchcliffe, Maxwell and Donnelly.

Blaming the Board for not investing is to avoid the big issue - McCall's judgement. He has wasted a lot of money on dud signings like Hamilton, Boyle and Hodge.

When are you going to get real. Last season the board left it pretty much till July to allow McCall to sign funds by that time a lot of the better players had gone and we were left with dross. Yes he has to take the blame for signing Corcoran, Hamilton etc etc. However its always one sided with you I dont recall you praising any of his good signings. 200k for Harkins and Twaddle that pretty much kept this team in existence. Perhaps if the board had given him the money before last July we may not have had to rely on signing the likes of Hamilton, Boyle etc.

But then again you were calling for him to be sacked, yes lets waste 100k on sacking him and bankrupt the club. As for this season well its not McCall who is asking not to make signings till July its the board.

Have you been following this club for the last 20 years? You will find that at least half the palyers that have palyed for this club in 20 years have not turned out to be great, we are a first divison mid table club we are not an SPL club. In fact before McCall took over we were more becoming a second division club.

As for the proposed player coaches -Donnely who I was a critic in the past scored 10 goals last season, McNamara - was the standout player in the 3 games he played. Their main responsibility will eb training up the young lads you know McBeth etc who already has Bolton interested and might get some money in for the club or turn out to be one hell of a player for us, plus theres a few others Burns etc who might just amke it.

But then again what wuould you know you never go to any games you are always sitting on your computer and then calling for McCall to be sacked online when it is finished. Maybe you would be better following the Old Firm with that attitude.

I can see what you're trying to say but are you not over egging things a tad? How many of a squad of 1st Division standard players do we require? I'd suggest well into double figures. If we've only 4/5 are you suggesting the other sides in the division will have three times as many?

Myself, I'm of the opinion our signed squad for next season is about as average as it gets. There'll be better, there'll be worse amongst our opponents.

When McCall has had extra use of his budget he has wasted it on duds like Lovell and Lennon.

Stirling and Cowdenbeath are what will keep us up. Two part-time teams. Maybe Morton too if they sign the players its been said they want to sign. The player coaches, Archibald, Boyle, Paton, Kinniburgh, Hodge, Erskine, Doolan, Corcoran to me are squad players at best at this level. (Boyle is 3rd division guff). Jury is out on Grehan. Anyone who thinks we'll do well next season is incredibly deluded.

Edited by MWM

And whose fault is that?

The board past and present, not to mentioned various managers. Now, if we break all these people into little pieces in front of the Thistle support then allow you to pound their remains with a baseball bat then mince the resulting mush and force feed it to their kids, will you be satisfied and give it a rest?

The board past and present, not to mentioned various managers. Now, if we break all these people into little pieces in front of the Thistle support then allow you to pound their remains with a baseball bat then mince the resulting mush and force feed it to their kids, will you be satisfied and give it a rest?

I think that's what they call closure.

I can see what you're trying to say but are you not over egging things a tad? How many of a squad of 1st Division standard players do we require? I'd suggest well into double figures. If we've only 4/5 are you suggesting the other sides in the division will have three times as many?

Myself, I'm of the opinion our signed squad for next season is about as average as it gets. There'll be better, there'll be worse amongst our opponents.

Falkirk, Dundee, Dunfermline, Ross County, QoS plus (possibly) Raith Rovers and Morton will have better squads than us.

Mid-table mediocrity is the best we can hope for with the likely squad. In reality, we will probably struggle the bottom half of the table, possibly in a relegation scrap.

Hopefully, St Mirren will secure Lennon as the Blue Brazil under his management could be a threat to us.

I am not looking forward to the new season with most of last season's squad. That miserable lot were the worst team in the division in 2010.

When McCall has had extra use of his budget he has wasted it on duds like Lovell and Lennon.

Stirling and Cowdenbeath are what will keep us up. Two part-time teams. Maybe Morton too if they sign the players its been said they want to sign. The player coaches, Archibald, Boyle, Paton, Kinniburgh, Hodge, Erskine, Doolan, Corcoran to me are squad players at best at this level. (Boyle is 3rd division guff). Jury is out on Grehan. Anyone who thinks we'll do well next season is incredibly deluded.

Spot on. And we will not have Tuffey to save us from a relegation battle. Our 2010 form, i.e. from January, was abysmal, by the far the worst in the 1st division. :thumbdown:

Spot on. And we will not have Tuffey to save us from a relegation battle. Our 2010 form, i.e. from January, was abysmal, by the far the worst in the 1st division. :thumbdown:

I think you will find by Tuffey's standards he had a very mediocre performance in a coupl eof games ie Dundee away it was his blunder which cost us the one goal which resulted in us losing, against Morton when they scored the one goal in extra time he put his hand up(after the game and fair play for him doing so) to admit he ws to blame. So this year he didnt save us from a relegation battle as we were not involved in one. Again you didnt go to any games so how would you have known how well Tuffey played?

We were atrocious since January completely agree, statistically Raith ROvers and maybe someone else were even worse than us in the league

Falkirk, Dundee, Dunfermline, Ross County, QoS plus (possibly) Raith Rovers and Morton will have better squads than us. All will have far more money which makes a difference.

Mid-table mediocrity is the best we can hope for with the likely squad. In reality, we will probably struggle the bottom half of the table, possibly in a relegation scrap.

Hopefully, St Mirren will secure Lennon as the Blue Brazil under his management could be a threat to us.

I am not looking forward to the new season with most of last season's squad.You never You never go to the games anyway so dont really know why you will be that bothered That miserable lot were the worst team in the division in 2010.

Falkirk, Dundee, Dunfermline, Ross County, QoS plus (possibly) Raith Rovers and Morton will have better squads than us.

Too early to tell. Fair enough, it's clear Dundee still have money to spend, but while they have a few standouts, their pool of decent players was exposed as shallow in the run up to the end of last season. With regards to Queens, Kenny Brannigan was bemoaning the fact he'll be operating with a squad of 18 next season - two goalkeepers and 16 outfield players - one which will surely be ravaged as injuries and suspensions kick in.

Falkirk are currently going through a cost-cutting exercise at the moment, with two Celtic youngsters the only players being mooted at the moment. Dunfermline too are working to a reduced budget with squad depth being a major worry among their fans.

Ross County's 'heroics' in the Scottish Cup overshadowed their poor end to the season, while Morton's new manager seems to be spending money of players previously deemed not good enough for this division. And we finished above Raith Rovers last season, despite our failure to beat them in any of the four games played.

I assume you're comment regarding Cowdenbeath was tongue-in-cheek. There's no way they'll challenge us this season, even with Lennon at the helm.

I'll be happy enough with some resignations. And the McMaster shares being returned as his role in the mess we are in cannot be forgotten.

I am not looking forward to the new season with most of last season's squad. That miserable lot were the worst team in the division in 2010.

I am looking forward to the new season. And yes we were the worst team in 2010. Maybe that's what Jag supporting is all about :unsure: . Last season we were kinda fancied to do well and we felt let down next season we're probably expected to be 7th or 8th. Finish 6th again and we might be quite chuffed.

Being serious for a moment if we continue to see the youngsters break through and McGeogh, MacBeth and Burns make progress then I'll be happy with any finish clear of the play offs.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I'll be happy enough with some resignations. And the McMaster shares being returned as his role in the mess we are in cannot be forgotten.

Resignations are one thing. The point would be to replace those folk with someone better, would they not. The sad thing is, the club's future won't be dictated by the Jags board but by the property company board and there's a tale.

Guest Argus

Hmm. :thinking: Maybe not quite radical enough for me :unsure:

Where's the cement mixer and the concrete overcoats?