Today's Game

Martin

If County had still had 11 men on the pitch, then we wouldn't have taken anything from the game. County weren't very impressive, again and to me a draw was a fair result.

However, it's game changing incidents, like the penalty/sending off which are finally going in our favour.

5/9 from our last three matches, a decent bit of momentum going into the Ayr game, which we really need to win.

It's only looking at both sets of the match photos that I remembered how better our strip looks with red shorts and socks.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If County had still had 11 men on the pitch, then we wouldn't have taken anything from the game. County weren't very impressive, again and to me a draw was a fair result.

However, it's game changing incidents, like the penalty/sending off which are finally going in our favour.

5/9 from our last three matches, a decent bit of momentum going into the Ayr game, which we really need to win.

It's only looking at both sets of the match photos that I remembered how better our strip looks with red shorts and socks.

Agreed, red shorts n socks are much better.

Quite an enjoyable end, not had a proper good late goal for ages, and to get it before a long journey home like that was great.

With a day to reflect though, I still don't think we are upto much. Can't argue with the sending off, was clear cut, but against 11 men we offered nothing.

The Policing was a bit of a joke to be honest. Thanks to ***** like Graham Spiers going to football matches in Scotland will soon be like a visit to the Big Brother house.

I'm hearing that 2 of strathclydes finest were in amongst the jags fans yesterday and that there were a couple of arrests----anyone know if there is any truth in the rumours?

I'm hearing that...that there were a couple of arrests----anyone know if there is any truth in the rumours?

No truth in those rumours, whatsoever.

The entire Thistle canon was given an airing yesterday. One particluar song - I doubt I have to name it - prompted the local police to warn some of the singers that there's the possibility it could be considered sectarian under new laws. They were also told that two officers from the new anti-sectarian unit, identifiable by their skip caps, were monitoring the crowd. Those officers did not interact with our support.

A little later, the local officers returned to take the names of a few of the singers at the request of the match commander. A genial discussion ensued where the police informed the fans that the lawmakers were unlikely to recognise the subtleties of the song. They confirmed that Rangers and Celtic had made the police and government aware of the song, the presence of the anti-sectarian unit being the consequence of that.

The song wasn't repeated and the fans departed the ground on good terms.

This song has been debated on here and on previous forums on numerous occasions. What is now clear is that the police are taking a dim view of it in light of the events following March's OF 'shame game'. Singing it could result in arrest and adverse publicity for the club at a time when it is cultivating a 'family friendly' atmosphere.

Let me get this straight, our support are being monitored by an anti sectarian unit at the request of the 2 bastions of sectarianism in this country because we sing a song that encourages not using religion as a basis for following a football team.

I'd LOVE to see that one stand up in court. The world has finally gone mad.

I'd LOVE to see that one stand up in court.

The thing is, Grant, there's every chance it could.

I was under the impression that the emphasis on the words "your pope" and "your queen" was universally recognised by our supporters. However, some of the posts I've seen on various sites in the last few hours would suggest that isn't the case. How is anyone supposed to present a credible defence of the song when we can't even agree on the wording among ourselves?

As I said, the song has been hotly debated for a number of years. Perhaps now is the time to discard it.

We were absolutely pish for most of that game, sprung into life when Erskine came on. Hutton looked good in the second half, ran the show, but he doesn't venture far beyond half way line, so more attacking responsibility will lie with Rowser.

Last 2 games, we've been awful, and took 4 points. I don't know whether to be raging with performances, or pleased we've taken points in spite of them.

The thing is, Grant, there's every chance it could.

I was under the impression that the emphasis on the words "your pope" and "your queen" was universally recognised by our supporters. However, some of the posts I've seen on various sites in the last few hours would suggest that isn't the case. How is anyone supposed to present a credible defence of the song when we can't even agree on the wording among ourselves?

As I said, the song has been hotly debated for a number of years. Perhaps now is the time to discard it.

I think there has never been a time when the song has been more relevant. I and, however, very concerned by the fact that names are being taken by the poils for singing it. If they ask me, I'll refuse to give them my real name, they can jail me if they like.

I totally agree that the words should be 'your Pope' and 'your Queen'. That's the way I've always sang it and always will. Also agree that no one should sing 'the Pope' and 'the Queen' so there can be no doubt as to the true meaning of the song.

Let me get this straight, our support are being monitored by an anti sectarian unit at the request of the 2 bastions of sectarianism in this country because we sing a song that encourages not using religion as a basis for following a football team.

I think I love you

I'm hearing that 2 of strathclydes finest were in amongst the jags fans yesterday and that there were a couple of arrests----anyone know if there is any truth in the rumours?

I'd advise you to get your hearing checked.

BTW just as a matter of interest do your rumours stretch further than Victoria Pk or Dingwall for that matter?

I'd be willing to bet if you admitted in court that you had sung fyp and fyq you would be found guilty wouldnt make an iota of a difference claiming thats not what the words meant

Poor play in general. Second to the ball for most of the game. Failing to close down players with the ball, allowing them to spray around long passes and catch our slow defence on the hop. Failing to defend high balls into the box, in particular, led to this becoming the preferred option for County. Among other penalty-box incidents, this led to the handball which won County a penalty.

Erskine saved a point for us, and it was a joy to see the obvious pleasure he took in scoring. (If his shot had not been handled in the box previous to that, he would have scored earlier.) He is the only player who is creative enough to turn a game for us in midfield.

Hutton was anonymous, and added another defensive midfielder to Rowson and Cairney, to no great effect.

Stewart was incapable of seeing where to position himself: at one point he checked himself as the play went past him - among the other Jags players. Either he needs to be trained to position himself, or he needs to be dropped.

Against ten men, we just scraped a draw. Oh, dear! :(

Edited by Fearchar

I am more than a little concerned that Partick Thistle songs are being caught up in a catch all sectarian sweep.

You may think this is a bit rude of me, but I have said this on Bella Caledonia:

bella,

But what are you saying?

Is it OK for Partick Thistle supporters to sing:

‘f**k the Pope and f**k the Queen, we are the Partick Thistle’

or to take that relatively trivial but clearly political point and have it re-defined as ‘hate speech’?

It is clearly oppositional to the mainstream(s) but, I, personally, do not see it as ‘hate speech’. I think it is free speech.

But the big guns are out for us. If they are not allowed their prejudices, then free speech by others must be suppressed too. For that is what a majority does, isn’t it?

It is all very well to allow all national identities, as you say.

It is completely not OK to assume that identities that see themselves as other than nationalist should be caught up in that nonsense.

I am more than a tad cheesed off that my non-nationalist identity – as a Partick Thistle supporter – has become the subject of a nationalist debate.

The discussion can be found here:

http://www.wearethistle.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/4441-todays-game/

Starting around page 3.

Perhaps this is wrong of me, but I completely disagree with Dark Passenger. And I disagree with the Police even attempting to say that one of our songs should be reported to the PF.

The idea that replacing 'the' with 'your' makes any sort of sense whatsoever is beyond me.