Today's Game

Martin

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll tell you what, I'm prepared to cut a deal here!

I'll stop singing this song when the OF both stop singing songs that actually ARE sectarian, unlike ours!

How does that sound?

Until then, we shouldn't be pandering to anyone who is simply trying to point the finger at us to divert attention away from themselves!

Complete disgrace that taxpayers money was spent sending these officers up to Dingwall. Why could they not have waited a week and come to Firhill?

Good point. What exactly is it that people find offensive? Is it the F*** word? What if it became "Forget yer Pope and Forget yer Queen?" That would be seen as a direct form advice to the neanderthals, and could not be considered racist, sectarian, or political by anybody with two neurons to rub together.

a.k.a. The Cee Lo Green solution ;)

I used to sing the song, but find it hard to justify now.

The only people outside our club that seem to pay any attention to it do so to either justify their own bigotry or to point accusing fingers in our direction.

I am C of E and have Her Britannic Majesty as the head of my church. I do not find this great song to be sectarian. Indeed, I have always known it to be a comment against the filth and bigoted bile that I associate with, mainly, the Old Firm - although we all know supporters of other teams also indulge in what I have heard some describe as "party songs".

However, I am not a lawyer and do not know how it would stand up in court.

I'll tell you what, I'm prepared to cut a deal here!

I'll stop singing this song when the OF both stop singing songs that actually ARE sectarian, unlike ours!

How does that sound?

Until then, we shouldn't be pandering to anyone who is simply trying to point the finger at us to divert attention away from themselves!

Complete disgrace that taxpayers money was spent sending these officers up to Dingwall. Why could they not have waited a week and come to Firhill?

People should be able to sing whatever they want to sing, old firm fans included, unless it is a direct incitement to cause harm or perpetuate violence.

I would add that it would also be absurd wasting police time investigating "sectarian offenses" at Firhill.

Love the way some people on here love to argue the finer points of law when the closest they ever get to the law is watching repeats of Ironside on BBC.

Ironside was a special investigator for the Police - anyone looking for legal guidance would learn far more from re-runs of ace attorney Perry Mason...he never lost a case. Raymond Burr played both parts in these ancient TV Series.

Yours

A pedantic Lawyer

Ironside was a special investigator for the Police - anyone looking for legal guidance would learn far more from re-runs of ace attorney Perry Mason...he never lost a case. Raymond Burr played both parts in these ancient TV Series.

Yours

A pedantic Lawyer

:doh::shocked:

Are you seriously suggesting a Mason for legal guidance on a potential charge of singing sectarian songs????

I'll tell you what, I'm prepared to cut a deal here!I'll stop singing this song when the OF both stop singing songs that actually ARE sectarian, unlike ours!How does that sound?Until then, we shouldn't be pandering to anyone who is simply trying to point the finger at us to divert attention away from themselves!Complete disgrace that taxpayers money was spent sending these officers up to Dingwall. Why could they not have waited a week and come to Firhill?

If any of our fans ever ended up in court for singing the said song, i'm not sure your idea of a defense of 'I'll only stop singing after everyone else has' will stand up.

This isn't about the rights or wrongs of singing the song, whether we sing it for sectarian or political reasons, or however long we've sang it for, it's about protecting our club from any potential harm that any negative publicity surrounding this will cause. Times have changed, and we must too.

You are right that any fake furore will be to divert attention, but that's what they are good at and the shit will stick to us.

Yours

A pedantic Lawyer

There was actually one episode where his client turned out to be guilty. Of course it turned out the client wasn't really who he said he was (and PM revealed this himself at the end) so techically he didn't lose the case as he wasn't really his client - in a sense.

Yours

An even more pedantic viewer of DVDs of ancient TV series.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I love the song. It gets right to the fundamental point of the issue. Something that these fascist new laws banning freedom of speech fail to. To put it crudely, that stuff has absolutely no revlevance to good football!

Partick Thistle is a football club. The only senior, professional football club in Glasgow without any, definite or confirmed, historical or current, institutional association with any one religious, political or social movement or persuasion. That is what makes us special.

On many occasions I have stood next to Protestant Unionists and Roman Catholic Republicans wearing red and yellow and singing all the words to the song with gusto. Walking through the turnstiles we join in one agenda, LONG LIVE THE JAGS! Regardless of who might be in government, which church is "the people", an absolute mixing of the races, or Zenu the transglactic warlord taking over the planet.

The song that really twists ma melon when "Jags fans" sing it is "Flower of Scotland". Keep your saltires for Hampden. Thistle's colours have been red, black and yellow since the 1930s. The only reason I can beleive for people bringing Countries' flags and singing national anthems at club football matches is to push and promote their political beleifs and desires.

Yes, we are a Scottish team, but we are not the Scottish team. Rangers fans can justifiably argue they are a Brittish team, as can Celtic make a case for their Irish heritage. Attaching ourselves to Scottish nationalism makes us just as dangerously exclusive as them.

Hello hello!

How do you do?

:fan:

I agree with 99% of this post. The only bit I have a slight issue with is the bit about saltires. There is nothing wrong with Scots flying their country's flag at a football game, IMO. The St George's cross is regularly waved at English grounds and I am not aware of any football fans in England insisting their flag is only given an airing at international games. Plus, the red and yellow saltire looks cool.

I am only aware of FOS being sung to wind up Rangers fans but I agree that it is misappropriating Scotland's anthem by using it as a taunt during a domestic football match (I thought that "the union's over" song at the cup game a few seasons ago was funnier anyway!).

Edited by Guy Incognito