North Glasgow 5k

The Earl of Hathaway

Is this a regular occurrence? I'm trying to start training for 10k/half marathon, but finding motivation difficult to come by, surprisingly!

Are you doing it on your own or with friends? The first 10K I did I found it difficult to motivate myself, but found some friends to go running with at lunchtimes a couple of times a week and have done a couple more 10Ks and a half marathon now. Been struggling with knee problems recently, but want to have a go at the Edinburgh Marathon in a year or two.

I'm running in the BUPA 10k run in Edinburgh this Sunday. Apparently, it's going to be shown live on Channel 5 with highlights on BBC2.

Just listen out for the commentator saying "There's a poor, unfortunate soul being helped out by the St. Andrew's First Aiders" and if there's a bloke in his 40's wearing a red t-shirt, that'll be me.

Are you doing it on your own or with friends? The first 10K I did I found it difficult to motivate myself, but found some friends to go running with at lunchtimes a couple of times a week and have done a couple more 10Ks and a half marathon now. Been struggling with knee problems recently, but want to have a go at the Edinburgh Marathon in a year or two.

Theres a bunch of us doing it from work, for a couple of really good causes, so I don't doubt that I'll be up for it on the day. Training though, I'll be mostly doing myself, but if there's a regular 5k it might give me something to set mini-targets for.

Edited - Good luck Norman, report back with your success story!

Edited by Paulo

Theres a bunch of us doing it from work, for a couple of really good causes, so I don't doubt that I'll be up for it on the day. Training though, I'll be mostly doing myself, but if there's a regular 5k it might give me something to set mini-targets for.

Edited - Good luck Norman, report back with your success story!

I meant training at the start of my post rather than the 10K its self. I just re-read my post and see that it doesn't come across that way!

If you're wanting to keep it up after your big run, you could maybe join a running club to find folk to run with regularly.

I used to do lots of running---marathons 10ks etc and i would never recommend anyone run a marathon in the middle of summer, even if it isnt sunny it will still be warm and uncomfortable. Lots of better alternatives with spring and autumn marathons. This is only my personal opinion as i found anything over 14 or 15 degrees a bit much