What Was The First Thistle Game You Went To?

jagfox

I may have been to Firhill earlier but the first game I know I was definitely at was a 0-0 draw with Airdrieonians on 1st May 1982. I was also at the 2-1 defeat to Dundee United a fortnight later which saw us relegated to 10 years in the first division.

I did see Thistle famously beating the currants 2-0 at Ibrox earlier that season.....but from the wrong end. :blush: (Ach, I was only 7 at the time and under the influence of a Maryhill born and bred, Rangers supporting, Thistle and Maryhill FC sympathising faither at the time). :unsure:

My first away game, actually supporting Thistle, was a 4-1 win against Queen's Park at Hampden on 27th December 1982.

Edited by H Wragg

December 1962 - Thistle 3 (Hogan, Whitelaw, Hainey) Airdrie 0 Crowd 12,000

It was Thistle's ninth successive win in our best ever run in the top League - 15 games unbeaten. The crowd went mental at half-time when the scores were put up on the board at the City End - Rangers were losing, Thistle were top of the League. I was just a nipper and didn't know what a League was...or that this was as high as we would ever get.

The Winter of 1963 was the worst of the century and virtually no football was played in the UK from the New Year until March...Thistle never recovered their form after the break and faded to a disappointing third.

I think my first away game was at the Cliftonhill Superdome in November 1970. Davie McParland's great side was beginning to shape - 6 of the team played at Hampden less than a year later...we lost 1-0!

IIRC George Niven broke his wrist at New Year but never missed a game as they were all postponed till the thaw came in March

I remember my first game was a 2-1 defeat to Aberdeen towards the mid eighties. Pretty sure Peter Weir scored with a free kick at the away end.

Its funny that I recall this game as I was not from a Thistle background, my family still support another Glasgow team, but I have no idea what my first game watching them was.

i hate old age as i cant for the life of me remember my first match,doesnt make me a bad person,but it was just when willie thornton had taken over as manager,i went with my father, my uncle,my cousin-he was older so he got to go to the shed-,and we were in the stand,i remember it was a win,ended up being a ball-boy for a while,jackie husband found time to cure an in-grown toe-nail that i had.

The First game i went to was Partick thistle v Airdrie 23rd september 1989, the game was 2 weeks before my 6 birthday.

thistle won 2-1 with goals from alex kennedy and john flood and a crowd of 5301 were in attendance, i still have the programme from the game my dad kept if for me as a memento of my first game.

My first Thistle game was 11th April 1953 when I was five. My family had just flitted to Glasgow and some new friends thought it would be a good idea to take a wee lost laddie to see the "famous Glasgow Rangers". I liked the Thistle strip and was hooked. Jags lost 2-1 that day but finished above Rangers in the league if I remember correctly. I have followed them since and even did my bit as a ballboy in 1959. I am glad I saw some of Thistle's best days with huge crowds at Firhill every second Saturday. Despite being where we are now it still feels great after a good win.

24th April 1971 - Stranraer 3-0. My next door neighbour took me for the last game of the season. I can remember standing towards the back of the old North terrace and it was a pretty big crowd as we had wrapped up the league title the week before. I can't remember why, but 3-0 was significant as it ment we qualified for the Drybrough's Cup (or some other diddy competition).

Some good games the following season :D

24th April 1971 - Stranraer 3-0. My next door neighbour took me for the last game of the season. I can remember standing towards the back of the old North terrace and it was a pretty big crowd as we had wrapped up the league title the week before. I can't remember why, but 3-0 was significant as it ment we qualified for the Drybrough's Cup (or some other diddy competition).

Ah, that one I do remember! The team lined up with some message to the fans before the game started. Wasn't that also the game in which Frank Coulston scored a goal by crawling on his hands and knees and heading the ball over the line?

Ah, that one I do remember! The team lined up with some message to the fans before the game started. Wasn't that also the game in which Frank Coulston scored a goal by crawling on his hands and knees and heading the ball over the line?

He would probably get sent off for unsporting behaviour nowadays :red_card:

I remember that game and was at the away game that season too. I'm sure our old friend Dan McLindon was playing against us for Stranraer. Of no relevance really, but it was utterly perishing in Stranraer that day (as you'd probably expect in the middle of winter :( ).

On topic, my first ever Jags game was a midweek game at home against the Tims in January 1966. A late Bertie Auld (?) equaliser secured a point for them. :mad:

I'm really amazed at how people can remember precisely their first game. I honestly have no idea of what mine was, and I often have trouble remembering who we played last week.

Will never forget my first game..22nd September 1962.Came home to Glasgow from Canada earlier that month(we'd emigrated 6 years previously but my dad died and we had to come back home).I got interested in football and my granny pointed me in the direction of Firhill rather than Parkhead, the preference of all my uncles.

Anyway we were playing Hearts and I still remember the smell of pipe tobacco and the sound of Jimmy Shand's Bluebell Polka - I think we were beaten 4-3 but that didn't stop me from coming back week after week and I'm still here.

Anyway we were playing Hearts and I still remember the smell of pipe tobacco and the sound of Jimmy Shand's Bluebell Polka - I think we were beaten 4-3 but that didn't stop me from coming back week after week and I'm still here.

Brilliant. That should be the music that the team takes the pitch to now.

:)

Here it is:

Erza macaroonbarz n ra spearmintchewingum.

Monra Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

(gasp) eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...sell !

Edited by Jaggernaut

I'm really amazed at how people can remember precisely their first game. I honestly have no idea of what mine was, and I often have trouble remembering who we played last week.

Beats me too, I think it may have been a New Years day game against the H*ns, though for some reason I'm also thinking I may have seen them against the Bankies before then. Beats me, but was a long time ago, 40 years plus!

Now the first European game I was at was Honved, that I do remember.

Beats me too, I think it may have been a New Years day game against the H*ns, though for some reason I'm also thinking I may have seen them against the Bankies before then. Beats me, but was a long time ago, 40 years plus!

Now the first European game I was at was Honved, that I do remember.

Aye, me an'all.

And apart from Metz in Metz, that was the last one until the next one comes along.

Metz, now that was a Jags supporters' experience bettered maybe only by the League Cup Final of '71.

I actually pity the young Jags' fans of these days,...they're brilliant, and I give them my utmost respect because they still have to get to know such times. I only hope that such times will come around again sooner rather than later...!

Edited several times to correct the wine-induced typos; I think I got away with it.

Edited by Jaggernaut

[/b]

Aye, me an'all.

And apart from Metz in Metz, that was the last one until the next one comes along.

Metz, now that was a Jags supporters' experience bettered maybe only by the League Cup Final of '71.

I actually pity the young Jags' fans of these days,...they're brilliant, and I give them my utmost respect because they still have to get to know such times. I only hope that such times will come around again sooner rather than later...!

Edited several times to correct the wine-induced typos; I think I got away with it.

Slightly different, but Peterhead away was a brilliant day too and one I know my boy will never forget. They may not come along very often but always cherished when they do!

Slightly different, but Peterhead away was a brilliant day too and one I know my boy will never forget. They may not come along very often but always cherished when they do!

Yep, total respect for that one. I phoned my old man afterwards to tell him about it, and I was gibbering like a drunken monkey. Great memory.

First game - Aberdeen at Hampden for a cup game - we lost 4-2. I'd just arrived in Glasgow and was swithering what team to go and see. Thanks to Lewis Morrison for rescuing me and starting my long relationship with Thistle.

First game I took my son to - 2-2 against Hibs. I remember Mickey Weir coming on and getting sent off fairly quickly. My son was hooked.

First game - Aberdeen at Hampden for a cup game - we lost 4-2. I'd just arrived in Glasgow and was swithering what team to go and see. Thanks to Lewis Morrison for rescuing me and starting my long relationship with Thistle.

First game I took my son to - 2-2 against Hibs. I remember Mickey Weir coming on and getting sent off fairly quickly. My son was hooked.

For stamping on Rod McDonald. Wayne Foster scored two that day.

My Dad can't remember what my first game was. The only description of the game was that it was that boring that I spent the whole game watching two ball boys kick a can behind the goals.

Looking at the History book, it might have Dundee Utd at home - a 0v1 loss in August 1992.

Don't know for sure, which is frustrating.

For stamping on Rod McDonald. Wayne Foster scored two that day.

My Dad can't remember what my first game was. The only description of the game was that it was that boring that I spent the whole game watching two ball boys kick a can behind the goals.

Looking at the History book, it might have Dundee Utd at home - a 0v1 loss in August 1992.

Don't know for sure, which is frustrating.

Paddy Connolly scored the goal. And I can confirm that game was an absolute bore.

Unlike the next time Paddy Connolly hit the net at Firhill...................