We'Ve Ad Some Bad Yins

The optimist

Was just thinking that about signings that could improve our squad this summer, then I remembered that in last years pre season, we signed Jim Hamilton. Who was arguably one of the worst signings in recent times.

It got me thinking that actually, we have had some stickers in the last 10 or so years. So whos your worst player of the decade.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The list certainly is a long one that's for sure.

I think Stevie Lovell has to go down as the most disappointing signing of my 20 years, for hype/expectation/etc V effort/product/etc anyway.

That big fella Cameron(Ian?)we had a good few seasons back, who I believed was in the mould of a young Drunken Ferguson, every week I thought that guy had something to offer and it was just a matter of him finding his way,settling in so to speak, he never did though and was gash throughout his spell with us, I think I gave that guy the benefit of the doubt right to the very end and after he left still couldn't believe he had produced nothing worth mentioning.

Was just thinking that about signings that could improve our squad this summer, then I remembered that in last years pre season, we signed Jim Hamilton. Who was arguably one of the worst signings in recent times.

It got me thinking that actually, we have had some stickers in the last 10 or so years. So whos your worst player of the decade.

You might have inadvertently hit on something there. Hadn't really thought about it before but worst signings and worst players needn't necessarily be the same.

Mooc, Pronevych, Tom English etc might have been out and out duds but they didn't do us that much harm.

It's players signed with big things expected of them, previously highly thought of somewhere or other that got to me :( . But as jags on tour says the list is endless.

That said I'd like to make a special case for Ricky Gillies, a guy who hadn't turned 30 and despite having played over 150 games in higher leagues found the rigours of Div 2 football too much for him.

"I'm so grateful to have this opportunity to resurrect my career" :censor::puke:

Jimmy Gibson. The defenition of the word dire.

McCall gave Jimmy Gibson a new contract and it cost a fair bit to cancel it. McStay, Keegan, Hamilton, Mooc and Boyle were poor signings too.

:thumbdown:

Edited by kni

The list certainly is a long one that's for sure.

I think Stevie Lovell has to go down as the most disappointing signing of my 20 years, for hype/expectation/etc V effort/product/etc anyway.

That big fella Cameron(Ian?)we had a good few seasons back, who I believed was in the mould of a young Drunken Ferguson, every week I thought that guy had something to offer and it was just a matter of him finding his way,settling in so to speak, he never did though and was gash throughout his spell with us, I think I gave that guy the benefit of the doubt right to the very end and after he left still couldn't believe he had produced nothing worth mentioning.

Martin Cameron. To be fair to the guy, he did score at Clyde, and had an absolutely thunderous 30 yards off the underside of the bar at Love Street when we went up. He has, inrecent times, been working his way down the East Region Juniors. He was at Bonnyrigg Rose, then down a division to my local side Penicuik (I don't live there, I live in a field 15 minutes away) and has washed up a Tranent Juniors in the 3rd tier of the East. Apparently, when at Penicuik, he headbutted his own team-mate.

I think the Alan Russel and Stevie Nicholas mentions are unfair. Definately Vitislav Mooc - he was truly rubbish. Didn't touch the ball in his 2/3 appearances. I mean that literally. He didn't touch the ball in that game at Dunfermline. Paul Ritchie also. Jorge Cadette and Stevie Bones were truly terrible.

Martin Cameron. To be fair to the guy, he did score at Clyde, and had an absolutely thunderous 30 yards off the underside of the bar at Love Street when we went up. He has, inrecent times, been working his way down the East Region Juniors. He was at Bonnyrigg Rose, then down a division to my local side Penicuik (I don't live there, I live in a field 15 minutes away) and has washed up a Tranent Juniors in the 3rd tier of the East. Apparently, when at Penicuik, he headbutted his own team-mate.

Martin!, that's the guy, I do remember flashes of what I wanted/expected but they never led to him being anything the player I had in my imagination, having seen what I did of him with Thistle the rest of your post is of no great surprise.

I think the Alan Russel and Stevie Nicholas mentions are unfair. Definately Vitislav Mooc - he was truly rubbish. Didn't touch the ball in his 2/3 appearances. I mean that literally. He didn't touch the ball in that game at Dunfermline. Paul Ritchie also. Jorge Cadette and Stevie Bones were truly terrible.

i take it you mean stephane bonnes there aye?

alan russel was pure pish man

Guest Argus

i take it you mean stephane bonnes there aye?

alan russel was pure pish man

If I remember correctly Russell did score one peach of a goal at New Broomfield or the Shyberry Excelsior, whatever its called.

Wasn't there an Irish full back, the bunnet signed, who was truly awful and had to go off in a game due to the bizarre reason of breathing in some mud?

Could Jim Slavin not be called one of the poorest signings ever? Amusing maybe, but speedy not!

If I remember correctly Russell did score one peach of a goal at New Broomfield or the Shyberry Excelsior, whatever its called.

Wasn't there an Irish full back, the bunnet signed, who was truly awful and had to go off in a game due to the bizarre reason of breathing in some mud?

Could Jim Slavin not be called one of the poorest signings ever? Amusing maybe, but speedy not!

did he not only score once for us at livi? 14 games and 1 goal according to wikipedia

McCall gave Jimmy Gibson a new contract and it cost a fair bit to cancel it. McStay, Keegan, Hamilton, Mooc and Boyle were poor signings too.

:thumbdown:

And so your tiresome anti McCall crusade continues. <_<

Compared to a lot of the other Thistle Managers we have had over the last 25 years or so his signings have not been that bad.

Edited by Third Lanark

I'm starting to have serious doubts about this website :thumbdown: . Can folk not lighten up a fraction or so? The original post was fine but does it have to be taken so f***in' literally?

Could maybe somebody add something even slightly interesting on why so and so was so bad? :unsure: Just naming players that did hee haw for us is kinda pointless.

I'm starting to have serious doubts about this website :thumbdown: . Can folk not lighten up a fraction or so? The original post was fine but does it have to be taken so f***in' literally?

Could maybe somebody add something even slightly interesting on why so and so was so bad? :unsure: Just naming players that did hee haw for us is kinda pointless.

i dont think people will have to explain why some of those guys were so bad!

all of they signings have been torture, its hardly an anti mccall crusade

Plenty of signings over the last 25 years have been torture by any Thistle Manager with the exception of Lambie, its strange how kni never mentions any of these. In terms of bad signings McCall has made some decent ones as well while some have been admittedly cr@p.

However he has brought in 200k in fees by the selling of 2 of his players, theres a chance that a lot more may be brought in from guys like Cairney, McBeth in the future yet McCall was the only Manager that Kni had a go at with regards to bad signings, that coupled with his generally moaning at him on most posts he makes would indicate in my opinion that he is desperate to see the guy sacked.

i dont think people will have to explain why some of those guys were so bad!

so what's the point? Is it beyond folk to maybe say why they think so and so a player was a "bad yin"?

Don't get me wrong I'm grateful that we have a new website. I just feel it could with developing the plot somewhat and that's entirely up to the posters.

so what's the point? Is it beyond folk to maybe say why they think so and so a player was a "bad yin"?

Don't get me wrong I'm grateful that we have a new website. I just feel it could with developing the plot somewhat and that's entirely up to the posters.

just hearing some of these guys names sends enough shudders down my spine never mind trying to explain what they did, or probably didnt do!

alan russell - full time model, part time footballer, nuff said

i think the least said about some of the afore mentioned the better

Haud the bus!!!!!!

This post I created was meant to be a lighthearted look back at some of the less gifted players we have had. I was hoping it might even bring out some humourous anecdotes about what made these players so bad. However, it seems to have turned into internal infighting.

Personally, i think some people need to remember that the forum is meant to be fun medium for us jags fans to stay in touch and communicate.

so please play nice