We'Ve Ad Some Bad Yins

The optimist

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One for the older posters here but surprised no one has mentioned Billy Paxton yet. We paid Cowdenbeath £8K for him as well. Shudder.

How far do you have to go back to be considered an older poster? Paxton was the late(ish) 80s. That dosn't mame me an older poster does it? :-)

One for the older posters here but surprised no one has mentioned Billy Paxton yet. We paid Cowdenbeath £8K for him as well. Shudder.

I remember at the time - and possibly still true now - thinking he was the only professional footballer I'd ever seen that I could say I was as good as. Yeah, I'm pretty crap even for just works team/pub team football so that shows you what I thought of him.

How far do you have to go back to be considered an older poster? Paxton was the late(ish) 80s. That dosn't mame me an older poster does it? :-)

Since most of the posts had been about Gerry Collins / Whyte & Britton / DC signings, I thought I'd throw one in from Billy Lamont's time.

It makes me as old as you (possibly older) I reckon.

On the subject of rubbish signings, Ian Jardine (2nd time) springs to mind as being particularly bad.

I remember at the time - and possibly still true now - thinking he was the only professional footballer I'd ever seen that I could say I was as good as. Yeah, I'm pretty crap even for just works team/pub team football so that shows you what I thought of him.

Described by our management team of the time of his signing as 'a real ball-winner.' A transfer fee (it was quoted as £5,000) was unbelievable. Took only half a dozen games to find him out - well only one to be honest. Whatever happened to Paxton? He surely didn't continue as a pro. footballer.

Described by our management team of the time of his signing as 'a real ball-winner.' A transfer fee (it was quoted as £5,000) was unbelievable. Took only half a dozen games to find him out - well only one to be honest. Whatever happened to Paxton? He surely didn't continue as a pro. footballer.

Alloa, briefly, after leaving Firhill.

One that springs to mind is Stephen Watson, ex rangers and st mirren. He only played one game for us during the first dvision of 2001. Two reason for this, he took the biggest divet i've ever seem out of a pitch during a crazy slide tackle in that game. I bet the St mirren groundsman was raging at him. And no 2, he won the ball in the midfield, totally free in space, looked up and layed the ball perfectly off for a saints player. I remember thinking at the time he musta forgot wot team he was playing for that day. That was his only game but it lives long in my memory.

To be fair, he probally wasnt a bad player, but he was shocking that day.

Another funny story I remember about a dud, was up at starks park (possibly somewhere else, maybe up at dunfermline) when stevie fulton was tackled at the touch line trying to cross the ball, fell into the advertising hoarding and you heard it crack in two. Probally the highlight of his jags days.

Edited by The optimist

I know that it's a long time before the 10 years stipulated, but my worst all-time signing is Brendan McIntyre that Bertie signed in 85/86(?). How he lasted two seasons is a mystery. Don't remember him ever finding a Jags player with a pass.

He's now living and coaching here in New Zealand. Nice fella, speaks highly of his time at Firhill. Can't honestly remember seeing him playing for us though, so can't comment on how pish he was! :thinking:

Edited by NZ Jag

A lot of welcome nitty-gritty talk on respective fuds' 'techniques' now coming into the discussion. And in the spirit of things, I raise you all the "we're gonnae win 5-4" game at Palmerston 3 or 4 years back:

Tuffey rolls the ball out to right back, Barry Smith. He has no opponent within 30-odd yards of him. He looks up for an eternity and with a clamour of shouts for the ball he launches it deep into the stand to the derision of all. Three or four minutes later he takes a free kick from a very similar position. He slices it deep into the same stand. And, a few minutes later repeats this remarkable feat.

For my money, the King of fuds beyond any reasonable doubt.

For my money, the King of fuds beyond any reasonable doubt.

Almost as fuddish as the clown who signed the overweight vastly out of condition lump who was effectively using us for pre season training. :(

Not trying to trump you, BJ, but on the subject of out of condition lumps Stuart Noble's 30mins up at Peterhead would take some beating. He made our Paul Ritchie, who joined us later that season, seem like a cross between Samuel Eto and Usain Bolt.

:D Impossible!

Meant to post earlier, re the 80s would it not be easier just to mention the guys that weren't fuds or duds? I'll kick it off with Kenny Watson and :thinking: Kenny Watson plus Kenny.....

Gerry McCoy, who was at Love Street that night? I think that was still the 80s wasnt it?

Will also throw in Kenny McDowell, Jamie Doyle and Alex O'Hara :thumbsup2:

Edited by Steven H

:D Impossible!

Meant to post earlier, re the 80s would it not be easier just to mention the guys that weren't fuds or duds? I'll kick it off with Kenny Watson and :thinking: Kenny Watson plus Kenny.....

Kenny Watson the best jags captain ever and a gentleman to the last :clapping:

Edited by nohidingplace

Two 'players' I remember with absolute horror (apart from Billy Paxton) were Billy Abercombie and Tony Sheppard, both of whom may only have played one game.

Wasn't Abercrombie the one who crippled (almost literally) an opposition player on his debut? I think we got rid of him after that. Some fans are all for a player who sticks the boot in** a bit but that tackle was so bad I don't recall anyone making an excuse for him and most were glad to see the back of him.

**Edited to remove unintentional Frankie Howardism (can you guess what it was?

Wasn't Abercrombie the one who crippled (almost literally) an opposition player on his debut?

Gordon Wylde of Kilmarnock. Without checking, I think Abercormbie lingered around until the end of the season and played a handful of matches. He and Brian Gallagher were John Lambie's first signings as Thistle manager.

Gerry McCoy, who was at Love Street that night? I think that was still the 80s wasnt it?

Will also throw in Kenny McDowell, Jamie Doyle and Alex O'Hara :thumbsup2:

Mo Johnston, John Buckley, Dave MacKinnon and Andy Murdoch for starters.

Edited by kni

Scott McCulloch. Complete waste of a wage and effort.

This has GOT to be a wind-up, right? About the only player in that Bunnet team that actually played for the jersey. He might have been past it, but I wouldn't have wanted to be on the end of one of his free kicks. The rampaging left wing run against Alloa (I think) lives in my memory too....

One that springs to mind is Stephen Watson, ex rangers and st mirren. He only played one game for us during the first dvision of 2001. Two reason for this, he took the biggest divet i've ever seem out of a pitch during a crazy slide tackle in that game. I bet the St mirren groundsman was raging at him. And no 2, he won the ball in the midfield, totally free in space, looked up and layed the ball perfectly off for a saints player. I remember thinking at the time he musta forgot wot team he was playing for that day. That was his only game but it lives long in my memory.

To be fair, he probally wasnt a bad player, but he was shocking that day.

Watson scored an absolute ripper against us at Firhill for St M. Only bettered by Billy Davies of Motherwell. Goals like that mess with your head - as a lover of the beautiful game and a lover of the beautiful Jags.