The North Stand

northernsoul

The loss of the Rugby income next season is a setback to our finances and the Club will have ideas on how to overcome this.

They can start by closing the North Stand, unless the support from the away team merits it being open. Livingston must of brought about 84 people yesterday and the opening of the stand was unjustified and a waste of money.

Culter brought more fans last week and they were in the JHS.

Time for the Club to start communicating with the other clubs and gathering a rough estimate on how many supporters will make the journey to Firhill on match days. This way the Club can assess what games the North Stand should be open for and, consequently save money on stewarding on games such as yesterday.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The loss of the Rugby income next season is a setback to our finances and the Club will have ideas on how to overcome this.

They can start by closing the North Stand, unless the support from the away team merits it being open. Livingston must of brought about 84 people yesterday and the opening of the stand was unjustified and a waste of money.

Time for the Club to start communicating with the other clubs and gathering a rough estimate on how many supporters will make the journey to Firhill on match days. This way the Club can assess what games the North Stand should be open for and, consequently save money on stewarding on games such as yesterday.

I agree livi brought 111 fans with them couldnt believe we opened the stand for them,,,, i counted them all by the way,,,,

we could have saved money and put them in the j h stand far end and saved money............

I agree livi brought 111 fans with them couldnt believe we opened the stand for them,,,, i counted them all by the way,,,,

we could have saved money and put them in the j h stand far end and saved money............

I remember being at firhill for a midweek game vs livi, they brought 42 fans there're away support is a joke.

They can start by closing the North Stand, unless the support from the away team merits it being open.

That would be what, 4, maybe 5 times in about 5 years? Morton's relegation decider, the h*ns twice, Dundee United once and then the Celtic friendly.

Even when Dundee brought title chasing crowds they could have been accommodated in the Jackie Husband stand if we put up some sort of barrier to separate the support. I know at Pittodrie they used to have a barrier they could move so that normally one section of a stand was set aside for most away supports, occasionally increasing to two sections if the Old Firm were in town.

That would be what, 4, maybe 5 times in about 5 years? Morton's relegation decider, the h*ns twice, Dundee United once and then the Celtic friendly.

Even when Dundee brought title chasing crowds they could have been accommodated in the Jackie Husband stand if we put up some sort of barrier to separate the support. I know at Pittodrie they used to have a barrier they could move so that normally one section of a stand was set aside for most away supports, occasionally increasing to two sections if the Old Firm were in town.

Depends on what figure you believe is the cut off point to determine whether it should be open or not. Personally, I'd say 500/600 or more merits the stand being open and in that respect there's been a good amount of games where that has occurred.

Games like yesterday though, there's just no logic for the stand being open.

Edited by northernsoul

Depends on what figure you believe is the cut off point to determine whether it should be open or not. Personally, I'd say 500/600 or more merits the stand being open and in that respect there's been a good amount of games where that has occurred.

Games like yesterday though, there's just no logic for the stand being open.

For me if we start going down the road of when should it be open, the answer's a simple one: when the Jackie Husband stand is full.

Anytime anyone suggests moving the singing section up to the north end of the JHS there appears to be convincing enough arguments against such a move. Are those same arguments not then equally valid against putting an away support in the same place? :unsure:

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there's a threshold figure where anything above warrants use of the North Stand as cost of additional stewarding in the JHS would exceed the cost of opening the North Stand. I'd also be unsurprised knowing what a health & safety society we now live in to hear that the threshold figure is ridiculously low.

Just another thought but there is plenty of bloody room in the JH even if the awy support was bigger say 1500.

Totally agree it`s time the away fans were put in the JHS this saves money and would hopefully generate an atmosphere,at a time when ever penny is a prisoner this is a no brainer

Totally agree it`s time the away fans were put in the JHS this saves money and would hopefully generate an atmosphere,at a time when ever penny is a prisoner this is a no brainer

The problem (probably) is that by putting the fans at the north end of the JH stand they are right beside the directors' box, and the so-called kids zone. The kids zone could be moved at no expense, say to the middle of the stand, down near the front (though in winter I doubt if that would be looked upon favourably by parents), but the chances are that there are also a lot of season-ticket holders with their chosen seats in that area. So any move would probably need to wait for next season.

As for directors etc., get them back across in the main stand! Along with those of us who'd happily pay to get back in there!

(Saddles up the old hobby horse.) Knock the North Stand down and sell the land. It's the way ahead.

FFS dont give them idea's :P in fact this will be the next bit of firhill to go..already flats behind it so makes perfect sense to punt it...just build a big wall behind the goals and paint wee faces on it :thumbsup2:

Sorry, disagree, we already have two sides of the ground 'empty' so to have a third empty to me makes for a worse atmosphere!

We have had some good away supports this season, Celtic, Dundee and Falkirk all brought good numbers although Livi certainly did not

Think if we want kids and families to continue to come along etc think the present set up is the best way. Kids get their own area and away from any away fans and any issues that possibly brings with it.

Finances are important but should we not be looking at ways to attract more fans and boost revenue rather than looking just at cost-cutting all the time??

Sorry, disagree, we already have two sides of the ground 'empty' so to have a third empty to me makes for a worse atmosphere!

We have had some good away supports this season, Celtic, Dundee and Falkirk all brought good numbers although Livi certainly did not

Think if we want kids and families to continue to come along etc think the present set up is the best way. Kids get their own area and away from any away fans and any issues that possibly brings with it.

Finances are important but should we not be looking at ways to attract more fans and boost revenue rather than looking just at cost-cutting all the time??

All correct.

Its time for Jags to vacate Firhill and get a new ground that suits our size and ambition!! Been said a zillion times before, but we keep coming back to it!!

Au Revoir Firhill!!!

Thought our ambition was to get back into the SPL??!! If we do we would need a ground the size of Firhill.

Where would you suggest we build a new ground not that its is going to happen?!

Totally agree. It's completely pointless opening the stand for the rest of the season, as even when teams challenging for the title roll into town, they will bring a maxium of 1500, probably way less if it's Ross County. Away fans would get a better view and there may even be a better atmosphere as fans might be able to hear each other singing. Don't see it happening

Would be wary though in taking estimates from other clubs boards. Did Inverness Caley not ask our board how many fans we would take to a cup game a few years back(3-0 defeat), and they were given the answer of 600. I think it was more like half that, and Inverness weren't too pleased. I may be wrong on this, but I'm sure it happened.