Progress From Last Year

Ancipital

Was talking after the game about how we view the team under JM compared to last year.

On 26/12/2010 we drew 0-0 with Raith at Firhill and had 16 points from 16 games. This season we have 26 points from 18 games. It took us 23 games to reach 26 points last season in arguably an easier league with Stirling and Cowden (not that they were easy for us).

I do think we've come on, and when we're good, we're better than last year, but it's possibly just the amount of young players in the team that have led to the inconsistency and some shockers. I think we could do with an experienced head up front, but I don't think Dargo is the answer and judging by the fact Burns came on ahead of him today it looks like Jackie agrees.

The worry is it seems like it'll always be year 1 of a 3 year plan and that we'll never build and hold onto a squad that can take the league.

fox - despite a few early season flaps is as good as last season

paton - vast improvement in new position, passing improved and real dig in his game now

sinclair - gives more than boyle or twaddle ever did

archie - slow but still as good defender as he always was and no worse than last season

balatoni - has improved sine he arrived, will be missed (the bombscare returns!)

odonnell - shaky few games of late but gives more than paton did at rb/wing back

cairney - much improved since last season and best player to date this season

rowson - hutton freeing him up has given him a new lease of life. fittest player in the league

bannigan - has most potential of all our youths, needs to fill out a bit.

doolan - in and out the team, needs a run to return as many goals as last season

stewart - hit and miss, lacks strikers instinct, but whens the last time we has 2 real strikers?

erskine - shadow of the player we know he can be

robertson - hope he doesnt make it in to defence for balatoni, looks cumbersome at best

dargo - past it and offered little to date, not the answer

burns - no thanks

kinniburgh - inconsistent, one dimensional and tendency to be very rash

elliott - direct but much to learn

flannigan - not kicked on at all from the potential showed early last season

macbeth, lindsay, campbell etc - filling up jerseys for £ buttons £, wont improve us unfortunately

summary - more players have improved then worsened from last season and any new players seem an improvement generally.

overall a better hungrier team than last season, lead by a (better?) hungerier manager than last season

I think the league's stronger overall- Livi and Ayr are miles better than Stirling and Cowden, Falkirk, County, and Morton are all better than last year. Dundee are probably about the same based on their post-admin team. On the flipside Raith and QoS are weaker, and Hamilton have been poor compared to what I expected.

For comparison, in the McCall season where we finished 2nd we had 27 points at this stage and ended up on 55 and that was with Harkins, Twaddle, and Buchanan.

I must have a short memory because I don't remember us being as baws last season as we have been this season.

We might have more points but the other teams seem to have got a lot worse as well.

The first half of last season, or the whole of 2010 really, was bad. The good second half to the season helped us forget how poorly we started.

2010: P 34 W 10 D 5 L 19 F 24 A 41

2011: P38 W 15 D 12 L 11 F 36 A 35

Edited to add yesterday's goal.

Edited by twinny

Hungry and eager doesn't make up for lack of quality.

I've never really been impressed by him, or by Fraser. I'm willing to give them a chance, but I don't see any success sadly.

Even if I agreed with you (which I don't) I wouldn't conspire to burst a young player's bubble by criticising their quality. Give them time. Give them a chance to gain experience in the first team. Putting the boot into promising young players is what many Jags fans seem to do best unfortunately (and this is not a personal dig at anyone).

For now a hunger for the ball and a keen-ness to get in about the game is inspiring enough. Quality will follow success imvho.

Even if I agreed with you (which I don't) I wouldn't conspire to burst a young player's bubble by criticising their quality. Give them time. Give them a chance to gain experience in the first team. Putting the boot into promising young players is what many Jags fans seem to do best unfortunately (and this is not a personal dig at anyone).

For now a hunger for the ball and a keen-ness to get in about the game is inspiring enough. Quality will follow success imvho.

Like you I thought he looked very good on Saturday when he came on.

It does seem, because the lads from the U19 team have not featured much this season, they've been thrown on the scrapheap by some. These guys need time, good coaching and support. I'm confident they management team, if not some fans, are giving them that.

And why the bold writing?

never meant it! i'm not the best with computers :mad3: plus the ' preview post' bit seems to be missing since the change of site, so i cant check how it looks in advance either

Can I ask why? He looks hungry and eager to me

hungry and eager, i agree. to his credit he did also try a couple of decent passes which nearly came off, however i just dont think he is going to cut it for us. I dont really want to be on here dishing out specific criticism of a youth player, but would be happy to PM you if you're really all that interested!

Selective memory loss over the Twadfather. Good left back for us and better than Sinclair in my book.

so you agree with the other 20 comments then :thumbsup2:

I liked twaddle, our best left back in some years but i prefer sinclair, a little bit more athletic, a little bit more talent, a little bit more likeable and i think will get us more money than the £60k we got for Twaddle, in due course. At this stage his end product is a bit behind Twaddles, but im sure (hopeful) that will improve soon.

so you agree with the other 20 comments then :thumbsup2:

I liked twaddle, our best left back in some years but i prefer sinclair, a little bit more athletic, a little bit more talent, a little bit more likeable and i think will get us more money than the £60k we got for Twaddle, in due course. At this stage his end product is a bit behind Twaddles, but im sure (hopeful) that will improve soon.

I'd say both Boyle and Twaddle have been better players for us than Sinclair so far. Sinclair has plenty of potential and looks a fantastic find, but he is very raw. Twaddle was a very good player for us and Boyle was not too far away from player of the season last year.

Both Twaddle and Boyle cross the ball far better than Sinclair does just now. Both got amoungst the goals, which again Sinclair is yet to do.

Sinclair is a strong, fast runner and with further coaching can become a right good player and the signs are he could become better than both Twaddle and Boyle but he ain't there yet...not in my opinion anyway.

I'd say both Boyle and Twaddle have been better players for us than Sinclair so far. Sinclair has plenty of potential and looks a fantastic find, but he is very raw. Twaddle was a very good player for us and Boyle was not too far away from player of the season last year.

Both Twaddle and Boyle cross the ball far better than Sinclair does just now. Both got amoungst the goals, which again Sinclair is yet to do.

Sinclair is a strong, fast runner and with further coaching can become a right good player and the signs are he could become better than both Twaddle and Boyle but he ain't there yet...not in my opinion anyway.

That's a good summary.

All in all, we've done pretty well for left backs over the years.