Film Thread

Alan Murray

We have one for books and music so it’s about time we have one for films.

Here are the films I have seen recently.

War horse 7/10 Great story but don’t think it Spielberg’s finest hour to be honest. Don’t think it has much chance at the Oscars.

Descendants 7/10 Well acted drama, slow burning but not sure there is enough there to take best film at the Oscars.

Real steel 6/10 Entertaining film with an excellent performance Hugh Jackman. Predictable and cliché ridden however it pleasantly passes a few hours.

The thing 6/10 A Pre-sequel to one my favourite films and does a decent job. The poor acting does let it down though.

Moneyball 8/10 Excellent brad pit movie about baseball.

Edited by Alan Murray

Super 8 (7/10) JJ Abrams sort of unnofficial Cloverfield sequel, decent enough. Sort of mix of The Goonies, Stand by Me and, well, Cloverfield.

Quite nostalgic-set in the 80s, about a group of teenagers whose town becomes the site of strange goings on after a train crash.

Green Hornet (2/10) possibly worst superhero movie I've ever seen (and I've seen Batman & Robin), with Seth as funny as a boot in the balls Rogen hugely unconvincing in a leading man role.

Edited by chunky jag

• 6 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, I'll answer my own question. Saw it last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Attempts to portray the members of Queen could have been disastrous, especially onstage, but the director and actors pulled it off as well as anybody could, I reckon. The film accurately illustrates Freddie's traincrash lifestyle and the contrast with the three "sensible" others. The live scenes were pretty brilliant, though whenever I see live 70s/80s rock band concerts these days I can't prevent intruding memories of Spinal Tap! 

• 5 months later...

Went last night to see "Stan and Ollie," and really came away feeling good, having watched a nice, non-violent, non-sexy, non-deafening, gentle account of the last months of the career of the great Laurel and Hardy. It also raised a few chuckles. John C. Reilly and Steve Coogan both excellent in their roles as Ollie and Stan. And I got to learn a bit more about their history.

Edited by Jaggernaut

• 1 month later...

Godzilla: King of Monsters.

Tons of explosions, earth tremors as the monsters' feet stomp the ground and knock over skyscrapers, aircraft and submarines (and everyone inside them) incredibly surviving after being picked up and spun or thrown around by monsters, cheesy dialogue throughout, and some useless sub-plots.

But the monsters are great!