Match Highlights 10/11

Yellow & Redneck

Earlier on this season the club said that next season we would have to pay for match highlights. Does anyone know if this is still the case, after all I'm no paying the club a penny for highlights if they dont put them on the site till about 2weeks after the match.

I'd only pay on the understanding that highlights would be put up on the Monday/Tuesday after the game :thumbsup2:

If they are wanting me to pay the poor quality highlights that they have just now, they are best off sticking them up their ass, Frankly.

Unless they make some super cool members bit of the website for the CF members, But that sounds way to complicated for the club.

Airdrie don't have highlights

Ayr charge around £30 a year

Dundee have "Club Dundee" which is £120 a year and includes highlights, access to a lounge, monthly draws and discounts at club shop and on hospitality

Dunfermline offer highlights for free (and riddled with technical problems if the one Pars fan I know is to be believed)

Inverness offer highlights for free which are about 2 or 3 minutes normally

Morton seem to be trialing some Webcast for £1 a game where they offer commentary for home games but no free highlights

Queen of the South don't have highlights (that I can see on their website)

Raith Rovers offer highlights for free

Ross County don't offer highlights

We're one of only 4 Division 1 clubs who offer highlights for free on our website, going up to the SPL it's even less.

If there was to be interviews and some extras, perhaps the highlights up within a few days of the match too then I would be happy enough to pay for it.

Airdrie don't have highlights

Ayr charge around £30 a year

Dundee have "Club Dundee" which is £120 a year and includes highlights, access to a lounge, monthly draws and discounts at club shop and on hospitality

Dunfermline offer highlights for free (and riddled with technical problems if the one Pars fan I know is to be believed)

Inverness offer highlights for free which are about 2 or 3 minutes normally

Morton seem to be trialing some Webcast for £1 a game where they offer commentary for home games but no free highlights

Queen of the South don't have highlights (that I can see on their website)

Raith Rovers offer highlights for free

Ross County don't offer highlights

We're one of only 4 Division 1 clubs who offer highlights for free on our website, going up to the SPL it's even less.

If there was to be interviews and some extras, perhaps the highlights up within a few days of the match too then I would be happy enough to pay for it.

Most of the clubs you mention who charge, usually have their highlights up within 24 hours. It's usually 5 days before Thistle get them on ptfc, so if they were to even consider charging a penny, they would have to seriously get their act together and run any such service much more professionally (sound familiar?).

If they are wanting me to pay the poor quality highlights that they have just now, they are best off sticking them up their ass, Frankly.

Unless they make some super cool members bit of the website for the CF members, But that sounds way to complicated for the club.

I agree with this post, I'd be happy to pay for a highlights package on the proviso that the quality improves. If it were to be, as said above, included as membership of the centenary fund, I'd hope that there could perhaps be other camera angles (i.e. behind the goals) and even something as simple as the score in the top corner with the names of players scoring or being sent off/booked along the bottom - and regular player/management/BoD interviews of course.

If we were to charge for highlights, what would stop someone ripping them and placing them on youtube?

You wouldnt be able to prevent it, I've got FlashGot on my Firefox browser and I can save the highlights on my hardrive then put them on YouTube. How about if you pay money to watch highlights you also get access to like a members only page with exclusive interviews etc etc :thinking:

If we were to charge for highlights, what would stop someone ripping them and placing them on youtube?

You wouldnt be able to prevent it, I've got FlashGot on my Firefox browser and I can save the highlights on my hardrive then put them on YouTube. How about if you pay money to watch highlights you also get access to like a members only page with exclusive interviews etc etc :thinking:

I'm sure it can be protected, the same way that you can get programs that stop people from saving photos/pictures you put up on web pages you create.

I have to wonder why anyone would want to rip the highlights from the site and host them elsewhere. It's one thing downloading films and music and taking money away from big music and film producers but stealing from Thistle is a step too far for me.

I quite like Morton's idea of having live commentary from the game for £1. There's games I miss for various reasons where I'd chip in £1 for commentary if the club could find someone willing to do it. It might not make the club millions but it would show the club providing a valuable service to fans unable to make it to Firhill and make the club a bit extra at the same time.

I have to wonder why anyone would want to rip the highlights from the site and host them elsewhere. It's one thing downloading films and music and taking money away from big music and film producers but stealing from Thistle is a step too far for me.

I quite like Morton's idea of having live commentary from the game for £1. There's games I miss for various reasons where I'd chip in £1 for commentary if the club could find someone willing to do it. It might not make the club millions but it would show the club providing a valuable service to fans unable to make it to Firhill and make the club a bit extra at the same time.

I think it would be a good idea. I nominate jags365 as a commentator, as having sat beside 2 or 3 of the Nomads' Harry Wraggs, he's the only one who actually seems to be decent at it.

No offense Twinny or WJ :P

This is something the nomads have been arguing the case of for a while now, though we have been quiet recently as we seem to have got the hint the club don't want to do it. As you say Morton do it, I'm sure Queen's Park do something similar, and we should have the ability. There are text updates available which is a start, and the fact they get an internet connection to do that shows that a commentary could be broadcast. The clubs stance has always been that they don't want to do anything that discourages fans from actually attending games - is there anyone here who would rather sit at their computer listening to the game for £1 when they could be at it for £16... wait, don't answer that.

I think it would be a good idea. I nominate jags365 as a commentator, as having sat beside 2 or 3 of the Nomads' Harry Wraggs, he's the only one who actually seems to be decent at it.

No offense Twinny or WJ :P

More than happy to charge £1 per listener!

Would perhaps even mean I can afford to go to all the away games too!

I think getting the balance right between keeping people who can’t get to the games engaged with the Club and providing a disincentive to go to the game is actually quite tricky.

Football supporting is becoming an increasingly passive thing in any case.

Remember too that the Live Text Commentary hasn’t been without its’ problems this season. That can be tolerated while the service is free but not if people are paying for something.

I was asked a while back to give what I thought would be reasonable costs and what numbers I expected would take the new services up , ive tried for a few days to find the document but I think I deleted it after I had had enough of the JT stuff :)

Roughly it was

£45 a year for highlights or £3 a game , with season ticket holders getting them for £30

£25 a year for a .pdf programme , £20 for season ticket holder. This is all profit for the club and I dont think it would affect any match day sales

ST holders get them cheaper , but its still additional income for the club but the reduced price should act as an incentive for more people to subscribe (plus its an additional benefit for people to consider when taking out a ST).

As for numbers I suggested the club base this on 200 for each and then see if its workable. At that it would prob give about a net £10k a year to the club. DFCTV has around 400 people paying £120 a year for it , we should be aiming to provide something similar to that.

There are a ton of other things the club can look at to take advantage of the website , things like Google ads (or something similar) in a wee block on the bottom of each page. Something like that on the text commentary when people are refreshing it all the time could get a decent amount from it. If you take the figures the JT site made it could be as much as $5000 a year from that alone.

Where every penny counts at the moment we really need to be taking advantage of these schemes more than we do.

There are a ton of other things the club can look at to take advantage of the website , things like Google ads (or something similar) in a wee block on the bottom of each page. Something like that on the text commentary when people are refreshing it all the time could get a decent amount from it. If you take the figures the JT site made it could be as much as $5000 a year from that alone.

Could you PM/e-mail me with details on how you would do that? Thanks.

£25 for pdf subscription for the programme. :shocked::P

I would be happy to pay for highlights assuming that they were slightly longer, put up a bit more swiftly, and were perhaps better quality. You would think, given the amount of nomads alone, that this might be a nice little earner for a small amount of effort.

Well if there's a quality problem why dont you just put in

suggestions as far as i can see the quality is ok what more

do people want. As for the time scale only 3 mins can be put

on. Just now there's 3 mins plus. As they say you cant

please all the people all the time suggestions is the ANSWER