Aston Villa

thistledome

Just wondering if anyone else watched the Villa v QPR game last week on t.v.

It was terrible to watch especially if you were a Villa fan.

Villa had 2 former Rangers players and 2 former Celtic players in their line up

as well as a former Rangers manager and a former Celtic Player as coach.

The players were Hutton & Coullier (Rangers) Keane & Petrov (Celtic)

Mcleish and Grant at the helm. Both teams had Irish goalies in Paddy Kenny (QPR)

and Shay Given (Villa).If this is the standard of the EPL then it is no wonder that only the same

top 6 sides compete for the title each season as the rest are rubbish!

Good post. The product is hyped up beyond belief, and people swallow it as if it's a fantastic product.

Just like the X Factor, all flashy and a couple of celebs, but mostly rubbish.

Have b een at a cple of epl games and really it wasnt much better than SPL. Seriously!!

Agreed. It produces some great games but the majority are garbage and the hype machine continues with all the money from Asia and elsewhere. Liverpool v Tottenham on Monday was quite simply gash.

I would say the same for Champions League as well. You get the odd highlight like Basle knocking Man Utd out the league but the group stages are usually mediocre and then it's often the same teams in knock out stages.

It's not the premier league that's rubbish, its negative Alex McCleish football that's rubbish. How can the EPL be a bad league comparable with the spl when not top 6? Anyone who is any good in the SPL goes to those clubs, so they logically have to be better. The fact is, very good footballers can play as bad as anyone else when they: (a) cant be bothered, or; (B) have a shite manager. Any of these teams in the bottom 14 of the EPL would absolutely destroy SPL teams because they have better technical ability. It's just harder to express it when they're matche up with similar quality teams who have McCleish tactics attempting to carve out a stalemate.

Edit: turns out you can't put a B in a bracket without making a smiley these days...

It has been the same on every forum, just untick the 'Enable emoticons?' box in the post options in the full editor.

Edited by twinny

Strange post. Villa are indeed in a state of utter turmoil, a situation that McLeish has largely inherited. The fans are totally pissed off, partly because McLeish has done little or nothing to improve the situation, but mainly because of his Brimingham City connection. I have to say though that the QPR match in question was a cracking game of football, involving some some comical defending from Villa and a stirring comeback. I don't really feel the need to defend EPL, but there can't be many footballing countries that don't have an elite in terms of club sides. It strikes me that 6 is better than 2.

always enjoy a wee day out down south - last year i saw the newcastle 4-4 game v the arsenal and the everton v aston villa 2-2 draw

this season i've been down to liverpool/man city and am up early doors saturdayfor the everton/chelsea game - looking forward to a beer at the game and a decent wee (sociable) swally at the brick before and after the game