Spanish Referee

Tam

This refereeing performance has been typical of the World Cup so far. Every foul warrants a booking no matter how trivial, meaning serveral players will be suspended for key matches. The sending off of Tim Cahill was a travesty. The referees are really spoiling the tournament in my opinion.

This refereeing performance has been typical of the World Cup so far. Every foul warrants a booking no matter how trivial, meaning serveral players will be suspended for key matches. The sending off of Tim Cahill was a travesty. The referees are really spoiling the tournament in my opinion.

From most of the games I've seen I actually thought most of the refs had been pretty good.

From most of the games I've seen I actually thought most of the refs had been pretty good.

I'd agree. Those of you complaining about his preformance how many are also in the camp that the standard of referreing in this country is significantly worse than that of others? Generally I think that referees do a reasonable job

Indirectly I feel it's those that referee the referees that are really at fault. From what I've seen a lot of decisions have been technically correct but lack commonsense and the latitude you usually expect refs to use. I wouldn't be the least surprised if it's the fear of the supervisor that's making them so pernickety.

While Klose's first yellow was harsh, Klose was a bloody idiot for tackling from behind when on a booking and with a card happy ref. There was no need for the challenge in midfield and deserved the red card for bloody stupidity if not for the challenge.

In general I think that the referees have been pretty good and consistent within a game.

I thought that the refs had been doing OK until this bloke today. He made life very difficult for himself by issuing so many cards early on, if he had been in any way consistent there would have been nobody left on the pitch by the end - well no Germans anyway!

It has in my opinion got to the stage where we can't have common sense, everybody knows what Mr Ferguson thinks if every foul isn't acted upon (at least if its against Man Utd) and from Neil Lennons comments I will be expecting the same from Celtic. Managers demand every action has an effect but only if in their favour, they want all free kicks, off-sides, corners, throw ins and if the ref doesn't give the decision they want then its inconsistent, we want common sense etc. Well you can't have the level of consistency applying all the rules as if they are black and white (they're not) and still have common sense!

We now get referees applying the standards of Messers Ferguson, Wenger and when it doesn't suit then they cry foul. Football was always supposed to be a human game, errors get made, least of all by refs but the constant whinning about referee errors costing money results in the type of officiating we are getting now!

Rant over!

PS Thought the Argentina vs Korea match was the first decent game of the tournament!

Indirectly I feel it's those that referee the referees that are really at fault. From what I've seen a lot of decisions have been technically correct but lack commonsense and the latitude you usually expect refs to use. I wouldn't be the least surprised if it's the fear of the supervisor that's making them so pernickety.

Fair point.

Speaking of clown referees> The bloke from Mali in charge of the USA v Sovenia match had 1 absolute shocking decision.If someone can tell me what the infringment was that chalked if USA's 3rd goal i will be amazed. Yes there was a lot of shoving in the box as there always is but on slo mo it looked like slovenians doin all the fouling. Spoiled a magnificent fight back by the yanks

Where is Graham Poll when you need him?

He's working on Jazeera sports in the Middle East for the world cup & he's actually quite good, very honest about ref's performances. He also takes a bit of stick from all the ex-players and managers who are on the various panels about the 3 yellow card fiasco. Ray Wilkins is a panellist as well & he takes a bit of abuse every time a team gets a man sent off!!! Craig Brown is also involved

Worse than crap refs (like the Spanish and Malian blokes mentioned) are divers. Plenty of fouls and cards are given when the player claiming to be fouled just falls over. The job is hard enough for referees without players trying to cheat them into giving a free kick. I don't know how the Scots feel about it but here in NZ, in particular at club level, anyone who takes a dive, or even milks a tackle that may have even been a foul, is considered a f**king twat.

Nearly all teams at this world cup have at least a couple of these cheating ********. That's what ruins the beautiful game more than crap referees. Sadly, it is also one of the reasons rugby is big in NZ (not as big as you'd be led to believe though - there are more registered footballers than rugby players here) as any act such as diving or something even vaguely comparable in any other sport is considered bad sportsmanship and perpetrators are not welcome on most teams. It's a part of our sporting culture that I agree with. Just get back up straight away and go for the ball! You might get it and score if the ref doesn't call it!

Crap referees and unsportsmanlike behaviour are both unfortunate and unavoidable.

He's working on Jazeera sports in the Middle East for the world cup & he's actually quite good, very honest about ref's performances. He also takes a bit of stick from all the ex-players and managers who are on the various panels about the 3 yellow card fiasco. Ray Wilkins is a panellist as well & he takes a bit of abuse every time a team gets a man sent off!!! Craig Brown is also involved

Ah yes , the 3 yellow card trick! How can us Aussies forget that? I've never seen a ref lose his bottle like he did that night in 2006. And where is Croatia for this World Cup? Redemption is almost upon us.

Ah yes , the 3 yellow card trick! How can us Aussies forget that? I've never seen a ref lose his bottle like he did that night in 2006. And where is Croatia for this World Cup? Redemption is almost upon us.

you've had some pretty bad decisions this time as well though!!

Worse than crap refs (like the Spanish and Malian blokes mentioned) are divers. Plenty of fouls and cards are given when the player claiming to be fouled just falls over. The job is hard enough for referees without players trying to cheat them into giving a free kick. I don't know how the Scots feel about it but here in NZ, in particular at club level, anyone who takes a dive, or even milks a tackle that may have even been a foul, is considered a f**king twat.

Nearly all teams at this world cup have at least a couple of these cheating ********. That's what ruins the beautiful game more than crap referees. Sadly, it is also one of the reasons rugby is big in NZ (not as big as you'd be led to believe though - there are more registered footballers than rugby players here) as any act such as diving or something even vaguely comparable in any other sport is considered bad sportsmanship and perpetrators are not welcome on most teams. It's a part of our sporting culture that I agree with. Just get back up straight away and go for the ball! You might get it and score if the ref doesn't call it!

Crap referees and unsportsmanlike behaviour are both unfortunate and unavoidable.

Speaking of which, during the Nigeria v Greece match, a nigerian player was (admittedly correctly) sent-off after hitting out with his foot at a greek player on the touchline. Now, this wasn't what annoyed me, but what happened next did, and no commentator or pundit picked up on it or even seemed to notice it! The "victim" who has been brushed on the leg by the Nigerian paused for a split-second, noticed the referee approach and then collapsed on to the floor holding his face and rolling around as if he had been brutally assaulted. He should have walked aswell in my opinion! :angry:

Speaking of which, during the Nigeria v Greece match, a nigerian player was (admittedly correctly) sent-off after hitting out with his foot at a greek player on the touchline. Now, this wasn't what annoyed me, but what happened next did, and no commentator or pundit picked up on it or even seemed to notice it! The "victim" who has been brushed on the leg by the Nigerian paused for a split-second, noticed the referee approach and then collapsed on to the floor holding his face and rolling around as if he had been brutally assaulted. He should have walked aswell in my opinion! :angry:

Case and point. The Guatemalan ref in the NZ v Italy game was crap too. Their goal came from a dive that Michael Phelps would be proud of. Sure, there was a little bit of a shirt tug in there, but when he decided to fall over there was nobody touching him.

I liked this quote from the Sydney Morning Herald reporter Dan Silkstone - "Italian football can defy the laws of physics; only here does a small pull backwards on the shirt send a grown man tumbling forwards."

I liked this quote from the Sydney Morning Herald reporter Dan Silkstone - "Italian football can defy the laws of physics; only here does a small pull backwards on the shirt send a grown man tumbling forwards."

I saw that with the sound down at a mate's house. That was a full-on drag the fellow back proper shirt hold. Totally cheating. Players should walk for shirt pulling as well. I hate Italian cheating and I'm really bitter and prejudiced against the toerags, but even I would concede that the ref was right.

I saw that with the sound down at a mate's house. That was a full-on drag the fellow back proper shirt hold. Totally cheating. Players should walk for shirt pulling as well. I hate Italian cheating and I'm really bitter and prejudiced against the toerags, but even I would concede that the ref was right.

I agree. In fact I'd say that, more than anything, spoils football as a spectactle. You only need to take a look at the sets of photos of the matches that we enjoy after the games to see how much of it goes on without getting punished. I've stated before, and I mean it seriously, that it's such a problem that all players except goalies should have to wear thick mittens.

Not denying that there was a foul there, but the way he fully milked it and threw himself to the ground like he'd been assaulted was disgusting. Don't agree that it was a "full-on drag the fellow back shirt hold" though, no worse than the 1000 other times it has happened in this tournament without punishment and even if it was, that doesn't make someone fall forwards. Hence that quote.