Proposed Move Of Singing Section

ian_mac

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is a great idea and well done to all involved in getting the ball rolling on it.

I'd prefer there was no age limit on it and it was up to every person to make their own mind up as to whether they want to enter the stand or not.

If we were looking to name the stand, then The Davie Mcparland Stand would get my vote.

It seems the club are listening and maybe just maybe, we can all be part of a club to be very proud of. Lot more work required from all of us but one step at a time.

I'm genuinely quite excited by this. Thoughts:

1. Name the stand and have the person it's named after attend the first game of the season to 'launch' the new initiative.

2. Adults only, or simply charge £5 for U16's so that they can go in but only if it's worth it for them. That way those that only come because it's free will still go to the kids section in the JH.

3. Make sure the catering gets sorted out-it looked shit on the pie thread on p&b.

4. Have somewhere to store flags etc... - will look much better if these are used to cover some of the inevitable empty seats.

5. I assume it will be pay at the gate, like it is for away fans currently?

6. We have a lot of 'out of date' songs. I'm sure I can't be the only one that doesn't 100 per cent know all of the words. If we're going to encourage singing can we have some (non-cheesy) way of publicising the words? May help get more people joining in. The only really good sing song I can remember in the JH was the rendition of 'Nacho Novo you're a ******' against the h*ns in the Scottish Cup. Those words are pretty simple and don't need published.

7. I'm assuming prices will be equal for the stands and a season ticket will be valid for each?

Like I said, sounds like a great idea. I truly hope that this helps improve the Firhill atmosphere next year!

On saturday before the game, myself and another jags fan were invited to Firhill for a meeting with the new One Thistle team.

They are, like us, concerned about the lack of atmosphere in the ground recently and want to consult the fans about this.

The problems with the current location of the singing section have been discussed at length before.

1. It's too far away from the away fans

2. The noise travels out towards the pitch, but doesn't spread along the JH, making it hard for the rest of the stand to join in.

3. The recent stewarding issues, also discussed previously on here.

Now, in an ideal world we could build terracing on the bing but as we all know, we are stuck with Firhill the way it is for the considerable future. So we were discussing how we could improve things with the ground as it is.

The proposal on the table is this:

As of the start of next season, the north stand will become the new "singing section". The away fans will now be at the north end of the JH permanently. Jags fans will be able to choose so sit in either stand, no special season tickets or match tickets required. The north stand will be officially renamed as "The Shed"

The police have approved the proposal.

There will be a pro-atmosphere stewarding policy in place - none of the nonsense we have to put up with at Dens Park for example - standing will encouraged.

Fans will be encouraged to bring banners and flags to make the place as colourful as possible, there is also talk of new banners and flags being produced by the one thistle team.

Under 16s will not be allowed - the kids section wil remain in the JH beside the away fans. In the days of the old shed, I remember it being something to aspire to, something to look forward to when you were older.

I have spoke to several away fans who have said that the atmosphere in the north stand can be quite good if it's well populated, so I am in favour of the idea.

At the game on saturday I spoke to as many of the shed boys as I could about the proposal and the reaction was very positive.

The reason for starting this thread is to gauge opinion on this - it's a fans initiative.

A few points to make before we open up the discussion:

1. This will take time. It may be that only 50 odd fans move across initially, and some cynics may label us a laughing stock. But if people can see that we are trying to create an atmosphere then I am convinced that numbers will grow. In time, this could bring back lapsed fans and even NEW fans to Firhill.

2. There will of course be the usual cynicism about change. But for anyone looking to have a dig at this, are you happy for things to remain as they are?

3. This has come from the One Thistle team, which to me is a sign that they mean business, and I was extremely impressed with their attitude and commitment to the idea.

Just as I was starting to get despondent and seriously considering not renewing my season book, along comes this excellent idea from the One Thistle team. Full credit to you all. :thumbsup:

If followed through properly, this could dramatically improve the matchday experience at Firhill. Hopefully this will be the first of many initiatives designed to improve things at Thistle. :)

No under 12s would be good. I just hate screeching children which for the last few weeks has been the case. It really grates on me. Kids need to be accompanied by an adult and no under 12s would be fine - but how do you prove a kid is under 12 or over 12? You can't really.

The last thing we want is for our new singing stand to end up sounding like the front row of a JLS concert, so my criteria is this: if their baws have dropped, or they have begun to devlop breasts, then they are in (now I think about it, quite a few of the young boys I have seen in the city end fulfil both criteria). However, if they have a voice that sounds like a squirel with his happy sack trapped in a bulldog clip then they can watch the game in the kids zone (to be renamed 'The Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers Stand' ... maybe leave the Rangers part out though).

The last thing we want is for our new singing stand to end up sounding like the front row of a JLS concert, so my criteria is this: if their baws have dropped, or they have begun to devlop breasts, then they are in (now I think about it, quite a few of the young boys I have seen in the city end fulfil both criteria). However, if they have a voice that sounds like a squirel with his happy sack trapped in a bulldog clip then they can watch the game in the kids zone (to be renamed 'The Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers Stand' ... maybe leave the Rangers part out though).

:lol:

Out of interest, what do people have against under 16's?

Dont think snyone has anything against under 16s exactly.

When i was young the shed was forbidden fruit. You saw it happen, you worked your way in from the side.

Why was it like this, because the shed was 10 yards from the away fans, dplit only by a fence, some of the stuff that went on in there was mental.

Now, since the singing section moved to the south end JHS it has become diluted, just jags fans singing the same 5 songs.

You introduce a new "stand" 20 yards away from the away fans, you have the potential for language to get a bit more tasty again.

Do you want a 12 year old in the middle of that?

My dad didnt want me in it. But once i became old enough, i felt part of it and loved it.

Dont think snyone has anything against under 16s exactly.

When i was young the shed was forbidden fruit. You saw it happen, you worked your way in from the side.

Why was it like this, because the shed was 10 yards from the away fans, dplit only by a fence, some of the stuff that went on in there was mental.

Now, since the singing section moved to the south end JHS it has become diluted, just jags fans singing the same 5 songs.

You introduce a new "stand" 20 yards away from the away fans, you have the potential for language to get a bit more tasty again.

Do you want a 12 year old in the middle of that?

My dad didnt want me in it. But once i became old enough, i felt part of it and loved it.

I was in the shed from f***** age f****** 11 and the c***in ba****din language never ****** affected me.

Seriously though at age 11 and up I'm sure the kids hear worse in the playground. Should the North Stand be a kiddie-free zone? Yes in my opinion it should cos in this day and age a lot of folk are feart to utter naughty words in front of weans for fear of the polis and social workers kicking in their door.

Out of interest, what do people have against under 16's?

I like children, I do, honest!

However, I just feel that it would be nice to have an adults section, where I don't need to worry about watching my language, or have to listen to children having a melt down over something. Or cringe at some of the awful things kids say - that boy on Saturday for anyone who was in the shed will know what I am talking about.

I am all for a shed with no children. The shed would be a bit more fun imo and we might actually be a bit more creative in our song. As Potty trained said, we currently sing the same 5 songs on repeat - boring really! Shed with no kids would be best imo!!

Must say I prefer to watch a game from the side, and I think that the "nae weans" should be a suggestion rather than a rule.

Also, calling it "the Shed" jars a wee bit - there will NEVER be another shed, at least not until we reintroduce terracing.

All that aside, I think this is a brilliant idea. I guarantee to sing like a maniac and to lose my voice completely every second Saturday between August and May.

Is a great idea and well done to all involved in getting the ball rolling on it.

I'd prefer there was no age limit on it and it was up to every person to make their own mind up as to whether they want to enter the stand or not.

If we were looking to name the stand, then The Davie Mcparland Stand would get my vote.

It seems the club are listening and maybe just maybe, we can all be part of a club to be very proud of. Lot more work required from all of us but one step at a time.

Will under 16s be allowed into the stand if they are with a Guardian/Parent?

Are you sure, Will? I thought the bar takings were separate from any catering.

Part of the Warriors deal was that the club got a share of the bar's profits, or so it has been claimed. Also, if alcohol sales were allowed at football matches the contract for the catering would be worth more.

Guest fredthecheesecloth

All seems very reasonable, but it is important to ensure that it doesn't become too "processed". I will explain...

It needs to avoid looking like its being set-up purely to manufacture atmosphere (even if it is). By manufacture, I mean things like songsheets. I can't say that flags massively excite me but that might be personal. Naming the stand is a great idea, but not something 'cringe'. Naming it after a club legend such as Lambie/McParland/Slavin/Lyons (last 2 are in jest) would be sensible. We need to shoot towards our fans in the second half. It needs 'time' to grow and become something to shout about, we can't expect great results from day 1.

On a personal note, I have been to Firhill once since probably the most sickening game (bar none) of my 16 years supporting Thistle, the 1-0 loss in the cup to QOTS. That result/performance was all kinds of wrong. I dislike Firhill, preferring to go to away games in the most. This change does sound positive, and I will be there to support it in its embryonic stages.

All seems very reasonable, but it is important to ensure that it doesn't become too "processed". I will explain...

It needs to avoid looking like its being set-up purely to manufacture atmosphere (even if it is). By manufacture, I mean things like songsheets. I can't say that flags massively excite me but that might be personal. Naming the stand is a great idea, but not something 'cringe'. Naming it after a club legend such as Lambie/McParland/Slavin/Lyons (last 2 are in jest) would be sensible. We need to shoot towards our fans in the second half. It needs 'time' to grow and become something to shout about, we can't expect great results from day 1.

I'd say that's a perfect summary of my thoughts, too.

On a personal note, I have been to Firhill once since probably the most sickening game (bar none) of my 16 years supporting Thistle, the 1-0 loss in the cup to QOTS. That result/performance was all kinds of wrong. I dislike Firhill, preferring to go to away games in the most. This change does sound positive, and I will be there to support it in its embryonic stages.

There is no intention to make it processed however given our current position it has to be a joint venture to get it off the Ground after that its up to the Fans -regards banners -we wont fill the North Stand it helps the overall look in my opinion -Banners are big in Europe but less so in the UK in general -my own experience is that they can help lift the fans if done well.