Phoenix

The old super fan crap. Everyone has a tipping point that will make them walk away from the club (or anything in life). It appears for the majority of people being complicit in allowing Zombie Rangers into SFL1 is it. You must have one as well, what if we had an Adolf Hitler stand, if we sent guns to child soldiers in Africa rather than strips?

:happy2:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two points to expand on in the general consensus:

Firstly, if Zombie Rangers are to rise from the undead to life in the First Division, they should bring with them the penalties that would have been imposed for dual contracts and non-payment of sums due to other clubs. A transfer embargo and points deduction would be just and appropriate. They might be relegated...shame.

Alternatively, if they are to be cleansed and return as a genuine New Club, this should be in the Third Division preferably after a year suspension or however long it takes to resolve the legal issues surrounding old Rangers.

Secondly, I suspect that the proposals to allow them into the First Division are really to help the remaining SPL Clubs...that's the Clubs who have failed for years to make any meaningful changes to the League structure...and the Clubs who made up rules to force Thistle to comply with Stadia Criteria and then vote us out. Motherwell went into Administration, signed two of our best players, avoided relegation because of Stadia Criteria then voted to relegate us the following season. We have spend years in the wilderness and they are in the Champions League...Why should we help them out?

This might be the only opportunity the Club ever has to redress the balance - I hope that our Board are brave enough to do the right thing...even if we are the only Club voting against a carve-up.

And as an afterthought...Peter Lawell of Celtic is usually keen to let us know his opinions but has been very quiet recently...maybe he is dumbstruck at the loss of his business partners <_<

Partick Thistle have arguably borne the brunt of the OF duopoly situation of Scottish Football, by being in the same city. Scottish Football clubs as a generality do not have the opportunity to expand their market share due to the OF duopoly. We are entering a situation where, perhaps in the mid to long term this market could be shaken up somewhat and a club like partick thistle would have an opportunity to gain a greater market share, by virtue of the fact of being placed in a city with the largest population with one of the biggest players in that market being destroyed.

The main threat to that opportunity is the return of rangers in a new guise at a level where normal service could be resumed, without the debt burdon they have just shed with the creation of newco, with the commintant market share they already possess. It would be madness therefore for the club to be facilitating that process. From a buisness perspective they would absolutly be going against the basic interests of the shareholders where it is taken as a given that their interests lies in the development of the buisness to have a bigger market share, greater turnover etc.

From a supporters perspective of people brought up in Glasgow, all of us who have experienced what it is like to live in the shadow of the OF with all the derision it entails, it would go against our basic life experience to actually be at the forefront of allowing such a situation to evolve.

The only leverage we have as supporters and customers is to demonstrate that such a course of action would have very real, very immediate consequences. It would go beyond the basic logic of being a supporter of partick thistle to contemplate otherwise. OP i think it is you that ought to reflect upon your uncle tom like perspective....

Edited by mrD

Bit harsh with the Uncle Tom comment Damo - the guy was making a fair point that PTFC are larger than a vote on Newco - I understand peoples views and sympathise as to the level of feeling -its a shite state of affairs which is dragging the whole of Scottish Football into it ,however he has made a reasoned case - argue against it BUT its certainly not an Uncle Tom stance IMO.

There are a number of concerns here and the greatest of these for me is that the decision in regard of the team formerly known as Rangers (TTFKAR) is that the decision may be removed from the control of the individual clubs. To wit. The SFA as the body who control football in Scotland (they are the ones recognised by UEFA and FIFA) may intervene and, in their wisdom, create the situation where TTFKAR are invited with twenty one other clubs to form a reconstructed league set up consisting of, conveniently, those clubs who are already in the current SPL and SFL 1. This reconstruction will be done in the name of saving/safeguarding football in Scotland. Since the SFA control the agenda they decide who gets in, based on the notion it's ooor baw....

So while we are piling the pressure on our own unfortunate Chairmen and BODs, perhaps we should also be firing a warning shot across the bows of the Powers at Hampden along the lines of... if you jury rig decisions to the obvious advantage of TTFKAR then your national team will be playing in front of empty seats.

My other real problem is that everyone is talking about the 57 different re-incarnations of TTFKAR. Let's get this absolutely straight. They may be called whatever you like, but they will play in the same colours, they will play in the same place, they will be cheered on by the same people as cheered them on before and the attitudes and expectations will be the same as they have always been. And others of the same insane attitudes will continue to aspire to "challenge" them and their ugly Green Cousins. In short before we know it business as usual will have been resumed.

And ultimately The End will have been only postponed.

Scottish Football as it is now is unsustainable. It requires radical action, which may entail great pain for many, not just TTFKAR, but for the Motherwells and the Kilmarnocks too.

If people opt for the convenient option - to get back to business as usual as soon as possible - then the professional game in this country does not have a future.

Except in the bankruptcy courts.

Thats a very good point I wonder if many fans of teams who are also in the Tartan army could be using this point

Secondly, I suspect that the proposals to allow them into the First Division are really to help the remaining SPL Clubs...that's the Clubs who have failed for years to make any meaningful changes to the League structure...and the Clubs who made up rules to force Thistle to comply with Stadia Criteria and then vote us out. Motherwell went into Administration, signed two of our best players, avoided relegation because of Stadia Criteria then voted to relegate us the following season. We have spend years in the wilderness and they are in the Champions League...Why should we help them out?

Thank you for saying the above. Much of my faith in our game died when Motherwell did that. Were able to. It's never been the same since. Look at Motherwell since, and us. I've longed for their relegation since but never dreamed that Rangers would crash and burn first.

Pity is, I still don't care as much as I once would have. It's not a sport any more, to me.