Phoenix

We let Rangers into the 1st division - We become a turkey voting for Christmas.

Scottish football is a sham as it is. I am certainly not going to spend my hard earned cash watching a game that has been rigged, just so we can scrabble around in the mud for the foetid leftovers that are so generously left to the 40 clubs in Scotland that are the shit on the shoe of the old firm.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post DJ, just one point:

They have not apologised.They have not shown contrition. So far ,they have not even been punished. To do anything other than send them to the bottom of the pile to work their way back up is toshow them a leniency - even favouritism - that calls into question the whole sport. It would wrong. It would be unfair. It would be unjust. It would be more than I can stomach, I'm afraid.

There is no-one left to apologise. Who should do it now? Would David Murray or Craig White saying sorry make it easier for the new club to get into the 1st Division? (of course not and I agree with the sentiment of your post entirely). Rangers have paid, or will soon pay, the ultimate punishment in being liquidated. No more, gone, wiped away, Third Lanark, Airdire, defunct.

There should be no talk of punishing the newco, none at all. Just an application of the rules applied to all other clubs wishing to join the league.

Celtic have said for years that Rangers get special treatment and everyone has said they are paranoid. Now we are expected to accept special treatment for a new club, just because they play at Ibrox?

Anything other than application to Division 3, even at that I doubt they fulfil the entry criteria, is simply league fixing on a national scale.

As a Thistle fan I want no part in fixing Scottish football for 1 team, regardless of who it is. I would never question anyone for never returning to watch a fixed game. What is the point? Will decisions go their way to ensure promotion next year? Take a long hard look in the mirror - away and have a word with yourself.

The argument that this is a chance to get the league reconstructed is, not to put too fine a point on it, utter baws. We are 5 or 6 weeks away from our first cup game - the whole of Scottish Football, despite years or arguing and non commitment to change, can be fixed in just over a month. As we used to say at school, 'yer maw'.

Rangers are soon to be gone for good. Welcome to the newco's application to the 3rd Division of the SFL. If the rules are applied, expect competition from Spartans, Pollock or any other team that meets the entry requirements.

Excellent post. The newco may buy over Spartans and Pollock, to create something like Govan Spartock.

My real fear is that newco grab a takeover of Cowdenbeath; after all, a certain Donald Findlay is involved there.

No to newco gatecrashing Division 1. They van apply to start at the bottom. I hope Spartans challenge for the spare place in Div3

For all of those threatening to boycott Firhill next year over the Rangers/Newco issue please take a long hard look at yourselves. All you will be doing is harming the club that you claim to love. By boycotting your own club all you will be doing is helping us on the way to following Rangers into liquidation.

Partick Thistle Football Club is not David Beattie, nor is it the current board or any of the previous boards, managers or players. Partick Thistle belongs to the fans and if the fans care so little about the club that they are prepared to walk away from it as a protest against the actions of outside organisations then maybe the club deserves to die.

I for one will still support the club that I love no matter what happens. I dont base my support on what the SPL/SFL/SFA do, on what Rangers/ Newco/A.N Other club do or even what the present Partick Thistle Chairman says or does, I support my team because its the team I grew up supporting, because of the friends I made following the club and because simply of the enjoyment I have gained over the years watching Thistle.

For the record in case of any doubt. I believe that the Newco should start in Div 3. I'm just not willing to risk damaging my own club if they dont.

Personally I will not be back at Firhill if we willingly allow or facilitate this Newco to be dropped into Division 1, under any circumstances.

Partick Thistle does belong to the fans, and with that in mind the current directors would do well to remember that. Nobody that I have seen is advocating walking away from Thistle in the event that Newco's admission to Division 1 is put upon us. The reason there has been such an uproar is the insinuation from Beattie that we'd be more than happy to accept them as long as we get a benefit from it. That goes against the views on almost all of the supporters of the club.

It appears as though Beattie has grossly underestimated the feelings of the fans on this issue and has made moves to try and assure us that he understands our position, although I am disappointed that the club cannot just be completely clear that under no circumstances will they allow a Newco into Division 1. If the SFA/SFL or whoever imposes them on us and we as a club have no choice then I doubt anyone will blame the club, I certainly wouldn't.

For all of those threatening to boycott Firhill next year over the Rangers/Newco issue please take a long hard look at yourselves. All you will be doing is harming the club that you claim to love. By boycotting your own club all you will be doing is helping us on the way to following Rangers into liquidation.

Partick Thistle Football Club is not David Beattie, nor is it the current board or any of the previous boards, managers or players. Partick Thistle belongs to the fans and if the fans care so little about the club that they are prepared to walk away from it as a protest against the actions of outside organisations then maybe the club deserves to die.

I for one will still support the club that I love no matter what happens. I dont base my support on what the SPL/SFL/SFA do, on what Rangers/ Newco/A.N Other club do or even what the present Partick Thistle Chairman says or does, I support my team because its the team I grew up supporting, because of the friends I made following the club and because simply of the enjoyment I have gained over the years watching Thistle.

It appears that someone at the club has been swayed by exactly the type of post you're intent on taking a pop at and will take those views into account (although that remains to be seen) should it be required to vote on restructuring.

Unlucky.

What must not get lost in all of this is that even relegation to the third (although it is not relegation, it's re-application to the SFL since they have no right to be in any league next season other than through that process) is not any sort of punishment, it's consequences of their liquidation. They should be eternally grateful if that is the only result of their years of systematic cheating, and be delighted to be in senior Scottish football at all.

My real fear is that newco grab a takeover of Cowdenbeath; after all, a certain Donald Findlay is involved there.

No to newco gatecrashing Division 1. They van apply to start at the bottom. I hope Spartans challenge for the spare place in Div3

I don't particularly see a problem in Rangers buying another club. It has been done before and is an option for any side. Elgin City are perfectly entitled to buy an SPL side if they had the money and one was for sale. What I object to is preferential treatment for one club and the rewriting of rules purely for their benefit. For the good of scottish football, that must not happen.

Sent an email to Beattie today saying I want a refund on my season ticket if he/board endorse newco into Div1 next season. Can't understand any Thistle supporter being less than disgusted by the prospect but I respect individual decisions.

All his claptrap about balancing integrity and financial benefits... There is no balance, they are mutually exclusive. If he backs newco into div1 then after 42 years at Firhill I will retire. I can't understand any Thistle fan who would allow us to be used as a vehicle for newco a fast return to SPL after years of cheating but as I say I respect individual decisions.

I don't particularly see a problem in Rangers buying another club.

Perhaps apart from the fact that old Rangers have £70m debt and new Rangers don't exist yet? Morally it would be corrupt if newco bought another club just to get into Div1.

The newco should follow existing rules, take their medicine, and start from the bottom.

Any other outcome will bring the Scottish game to it's knees.

Dont see why anyone outside the o/f should support the Newco in any division other than Div 3, if they had their own way they'd already be playing in England or some North Atlantic league. Their concern for the health of Scottish football now is touching but smacks of pure desperation. Same rules to all clubs - no exceptions.

After posting on another thread that i would be in favour of newco being in div1 after listening to what the Peterhead manager had to say. I have to admit after taking some time to read some of the facts and arguments I find myself thinking that the newco should be nowhere else other than div 3. If they are to be granted div1 status then they should start at -30 points. With regards to what I would do if this didn't happen, prob nothing, Sat without football kills me and I would not allow this situ to do that.

There is no-one left to apologise. Who should do it now? Would David Murray or Craig White saying sorry make it easier for the new club to get into the 1st Division? (of course not and I agree with the sentiment of your post entirely). Rangers have paid, or will soon pay, the ultimate punishment in being liquidated. No more, gone, wiped away, Third Lanark, Airdire, defunct.

Here's a suggestion for you, Lionel. There are groups of people, most of them throwing borrowed money around, who want to take the Rangers 'brand', its colours, heritage, history and all the other horsesh*t that seems to make money and milk it to death.

They want to leave the nasty stuff, the £9m, the £134m, the administration, the liquidation, and send the oldco scapegoat off to die in the wilderness.

Does any Jags fan here think that's sound? I think the newco should apologise for the misdeeds of the oldco if there's to be any chance of a club from Glasgow called Rangers playing in the senior ranks.

Dont see why anyone outside the o/f should support the Newco in any division other than Div 3, if they had their own way they'd already be playing in England or some North Atlantic league. Their concern for the health of Scottish football now is touching but smacks of pure desperation. Same rules to all clubs - no exceptions.

Exactly Stooo. Its easily forgotten that this is an abomination that would walk out of Scottish football in a heartbeat and has tried to do so. Did they give a toss about the clubs they were leaving behind, did they care about Scottish football? Now they want (they wont even beg or apologise) their God given right to compete in the best division possible because "we arra people" and because we are NEWCO. ITS FRANKLY DISGUSTING!!

Edited by Lindau

Exactly Stooo. Its easily forgotten that this is an abomination that would walk out of Scottish football in a heartbeat and has tried to do so. Did they give a toss about the clubs they were leaving behind, did they care about Scottish football? Now they want (they wont even beg or apologise) their God given right to compete in the best division possible because "we arra people" and because we are NEWCO. ITS FRANKLY DISGUSTING!!

Well said, wholeheartedly agree, where has this great clamor for league re-organization been hiding itself in recent years. To be frank if Thistle were dying Rangers wouldn't have crossed the road to save them. Therefore let them reap what they've sown!

The old super fan crap. Everyone has a tipping point that will make them walk away from the club (or anything in life). It appears for the majority of people being complicit in allowing Zombie Rangers into SFL1 is it. You must have one as well, what if we had an Adolf Hitler stand, if we sent guns to child soldiers in Africa rather than strips?

If we were to get proper league reconsutrion , say to 14 team top league from next season, absolutely 100% guaranteed 2 promotion spots every year (no play offs), tv deal for SFL1 and various other concessions then I may be willing to reconsider being a grmupy ******* about all this. However if the plan is for the same leagus tructure just different names and Zombie Rangers in beside us then what is the point in paying to watch a league that is already fixed in one teams favour ?

The only options we as a group of fans is to withhold season ticket cash or not turn up for games and to make sure we keep the pressure on the people trying to force this through.

FWIW I dont think it will happen, only needs 8 teams in the SFL to say no and its a non starter. The likely outcome is Zombie Rangers are suspended for a year and the authorities get a full season to sort this out properly instead of on the back of a fag packet done over a weekend.

Junior: "

FWIW I dont think it will happen, only needs 8 teams in the SFL to say no and its a non starter. The likely outcome is Zombie Rangers are suspended for a year and the authorities get a full season to sort this out properly instead of on the back of a fag packet done over a weekend."

Agreed :)

If we were to get proper league reconsutrion , say to 14 team top league from next season, absolutely 100% guaranteed 2 promotion spots every year (no play offs), tv deal for SFL1 and various other concessions then I may be willing to reconsider being a grmupy ******* about all this. However if the plan is for the same leagus tructure just different names and Zombie Rangers in beside us then what is the point in paying to watch a league that is already fixed in one teams favour ?

The only options we as a group of fans is to withhold season ticket cash or not turn up for games and to make sure we keep the pressure on the people trying to force this through.

FWIW I dont think it will happen, only needs 8 teams in the SFL to say no and its a non starter. The likely outcome is Zombie Rangers are suspended for a year and the authorities get a full season to sort this out properly instead of on the back of a fag packet done over a weekend.

I'm starting to warm to this idea. Rather than try to rearrange the entire structure of the game on the back of a fag packet before the season is due to start in a few weeks, throw them out altogether, and then think carefully about whether and how their b*stard offspring should be allowed back in.

I'm starting to warm to this idea. Rather than try to rearrange the entire structure of the game on the back of a fag packet before the season is due to start in a few weeks, throw them out altogether, and then think carefully about whether and how their b*stard offspring should be allowed back in.

Yeah, dont think anyone would disagree with that....but that surely would lead to the death of NEWCO..........what a feckin great idea!!!

I don't particularly see a problem in Rangers buying another club. It has been done before and is an option for any side. Elgin City are perfectly entitled to buy an SPL side if they had the money and one was for sale. What I object to is preferential treatment for one club and the rewriting of rules purely for their benefit. For the good of scottish football, that must not happen.

I do what happens if they decide to take over us or Queens Park for talking sake? I thought it was unfair United taking over Clydebank, what gives Newco the right to think it can take over Cowdenbeath and take on their small deby and therefore get away with the £140 million or so they owe everyone else.

I don't know after the United Clydebank thing if anything was put in place to stop it ever happening again

I do what happens if they decide to take over us or Queens Park for talking sake? I thought it was unfair United taking over Clydebank, what gives Newco the right to think it can take over Cowdenbeath and take on their small deby and therefore get away with the £140 million or so they owe everyone else.

I don't know after the United Clydebank thing if anything was put in place to stop it ever happening again

Thats written off once they are liquidated....hence why it will be a disgrace if they (a debt free club) are parachuted straight into the 2nd tier of Scottish football. In all likelyhood they would be the most well off team in the country if they get back to the SPHell in one go....how ridiculous is that!! Mind you with Naismith and Whittaker now off as well, you do have to wonder what team they will be able to field next season....thats if they have anywhere to play!!

Edited by Lindau

There are a number of concerns here and the greatest of these for me is that the decision in regard of the team formerly known as Rangers (TTFKAR) is that the decision may be removed from the control of the individual clubs. To wit. The SFA as the body who control football in Scotland (they are the ones recognised by UEFA and FIFA) may intervene and, in their wisdom, create the situation where TTFKAR are invited with twenty one other clubs to form a reconstructed league set up consisting of, conveniently, those clubs who are already in the current SPL and SFL 1. This reconstruction will be done in the name of saving/safeguarding football in Scotland. Since the SFA control the agenda they decide who gets in, based on the notion it's ooor baw....

So while we are piling the pressure on our own unfortunate Chairmen and BODs, perhaps we should also be firing a warning shot across the bows of the Powers at Hampden along the lines of... if you jury rig decisions to the obvious advantage of TTFKAR then your national team will be playing in front of empty seats.

My other real problem is that everyone is talking about the 57 different re-incarnations of TTFKAR. Let's get this absolutely straight. They may be called whatever you like, but they will play in the same colours, they will play in the same place, they will be cheered on by the same people as cheered them on before and the attitudes and expectations will be the same as they have always been. And others of the same insane attitudes will continue to aspire to "challenge" them and their ugly Green Cousins. In short before we know it business as usual will have been resumed.

And ultimately The End will have been only postponed.

Scottish Football as it is now is unsustainable. It requires radical action, which may entail great pain for many, not just TTFKAR, but for the Motherwells and the Kilmarnocks too.

If people opt for the convenient option - to get back to business as usual as soon as possible - then the professional game in this country does not have a future.

Except in the bankruptcy courts.