Directors Entrenched

Jaggy1967

Hi All,

Have read about as much of this as my brain can cope with over the last few weeks and cannot I believe how much my beloved club has been dragged into the mire by the joke that was RFC !

I owe Dumfermline Jag an apology for my response to a post last week where I questioned his position over buying a season book given the possibility Newco could be in our league.

I asked him to get a grip ! I would never have forseen the events over the subsequent days. Dumfermline Jag what are your lottery numbers lol ?

Since then, it would seem our directors / custodians of our famous and much loved club have gone from being well respected custodians to the enemy within 7 days.

I feel the directors have made a rod for their own back so to speak. They have in my opinion spoken before it being necessary to speak on this issue.

They have followed that up with statements which did not clarify their position, to then following much fan pressure and other clubs showing their hand to make a third and pointless statement which said nothing.

I feel that the directors have made a great error of judgement and due to their statement, will now find it very difficult to back down from their lets wait and see status.

I am a season ticket holder and also a shirt sponsor and I have paid all up front in the belief that it was the best for my club.

I like many others, will not have a chance due to other commitments to make proper value of my season book. We buy a season book due to the love / affection we hold for the great institution that is PTFC.

We do not expect to be treated as fellow custodians of the club to be left in the dark as we are currently.

Newco is not an option . END OF !

Mr Beattie please rise above your entrenched position and show the leadership for us to be a club who are a fore runner of future developments and not a club wallowing in the wake of missed opportunities.

I like others will unfortunately, given the directors stance request a refund on both my season book and sponsorship should this situation not be clarified immediately.

Dave Mackie.

44 years old

37 years supporting the best team in Glasgow !

I like others will unfortunately, given the directors stance request a refund on both my season book and sponsorship should this situation not be clarified immediately.

I like you will be demanding a refund unless there is immediate clarification from directors ie a no vote.

I managed to get to a couple games last season and I liked the way the club in general was moving - younger team, better run club etc and genuinely thought we had chance of promotion so decided to buy a season ticket for forthcoming season. On the day fixtures were announced I even booked 4 flights for games in months running up to December, flying in on Saturday morning and back to Amsterdam next day.

There is absolutely no justification whatsoever for NEWCO to be admitted to Div 1 apart from greed on behalf of the SPL and SFA. Should our board of Directors even consider accepting the NEWCO then I will demand a refund but unfortunately will have wasted over Eur 400 on flights that I will not use. With my family residing in Campbeltown there is no way I can even head there to visit them in the time between flights. And I cant see the club refunding the cost of the flights.

If the board of Directors will not listen to the opinion of the fans then I am finished with Thistle and Scottish football. I also have an Ajax season ticket and one of the better ones in the ground and this is costing me less than what I was willing to give to Thistle. Thistle is where my heart belongs but this is being severely tested currently

I managed to keep a blog going for a fair while mostly fuelled on a mix of valid criticisms and a few cheap shots aimed at our old board of directors. I didn't rate them, but at least you could sort of see where they fitted into the picture.

And then about a year ago, with most of them off the main stage (but lurking in the shadows), I realised I didn't understand at all how the club worked any more - who did what, who owned what, who was owed what, who controlled what, who had who by the short and curlies. To this day I don't know how Billy Allan figures in any of it. The relationships between these guys and their companies and Propco and Thistle are very hard to read, and that's as someone who has taken an unhealthy level of interest in club politics for quite a while. It's very much an insider's affair. That seemed like a good point to give up writing about them and let it all go. No loss there, but purely as a fan it makes me a bit uneasy.

So if anyone can provide a crash course of Partick Thistle for Dummies, the whole ownership and control situation in clear and simple terms, please bring it on.

I managed to keep a blog going for a fair while mostly fuelled on a mix of valid criticisms and a few cheap shots aimed at our old board of directors. I didn't rate them, but at least you could sort of see where they fitted into the picture.

And then about a year ago, with most of them off the main stage (but lurking in the shadows), I realised I didn't understand at all how the club worked any more - who did what, who owned what, who was owed what, who controlled what, who had who by the short and curlies. To this day I don't know how Billy Allan figures in any of it. The relationships between these guys and their companies and Propco and Thistle are very hard to read, and that's as someone who has taken an unhealthy level of interest in club politics for quite a while. It's very much an insider's affair. That seemed like a good point to give up writing about them and let it all go. No loss there, but purely as a fan it makes me a bit uneasy.

So if anyone can provide a crash course of Partick Thistle for Dummies, the whole ownership and control situation in clear and simple terms, please bring it on.

We're having such as good, good time sitting in the rain and coming sixth in the league - sipping crap coffee - that we don't notice such things. I fear it's a chess game and once all the pieces of someone's gameplan are in place it'll be check.

Put me down for a copy of that guide, will you please?

Edited by McKennan

That suggests there's been a relationship with the fans to begin with.

You will be shocked at this but I agree - I think we are a far better run business, which for our future has to be a good thing but the vision thing is missing ,however that was missing long before the current Board so I suppose for now I will take trading in the black ( just )

And No Im not party to the grand plan.

To this day I don't know how Billy Allan figures in any of it. The relationships between these guys and their companies and Propco and Thistle are very hard to read, and that's as someone who has taken an unhealthy level of interest in club politics for quite a while. It's very much an insider's affair.

This all makes the Jags Trust inability to perform even the most basic function almost criminal.

They should have been leading the charge against propco, against the privatisation by stealth or against newco. Instead, nothing.

This all makes the Jags Trust inability to perform even the most basic function almost criminal.

They should have been leading the charge against propco, against the privatisation by stealth or against newco. Instead, nothing.

Agree, tho' last thing we need just now is some half arsed operation posing as a serious fans supporters group.

Hi All,

Have read about as much of this as my brain can cope with over the last few weeks and cannot I believe how much my beloved club has been dragged into the mire by the joke that was RFC !

I owe Dumfermline Jag an apology for my response to a post last week where I questioned his position over buying a season book given the possibility Newco could be in our league.

I asked him to get a grip ! I would never have forseen the events over the subsequent days. Dumfermline Jag what are your lottery numbers lol ?

Since then, it would seem our directors / custodians of our famous and much loved club have gone from being well respected custodians to the enemy within 7 days.

I feel the directors have made a rod for their own back so to speak. They have in my opinion spoken before it being necessary to speak on this issue.

They have followed that up with statements which did not clarify their position, to then following much fan pressure and other clubs showing their hand to make a third and pointless statement which said nothing.

I feel that the directors have made a great error of judgement and due to their statement, will now find it very difficult to back down from their lets wait and see status.

I am a season ticket holder and also a shirt sponsor and I have paid all up front in the belief that it was the best for my club.

I like many others, will not have a chance due to other commitments to make proper value of my season book. We buy a season book due to the love / affection we hold for the great institution that is PTFC.

We do not expect to be treated as fellow custodians of the club to be left in the dark as we are currently.

Newco is not an option . END OF !

Mr Beattie please rise above your entrenched position and show the leadership for us to be a club who are a fore runner of future developments and not a club wallowing in the wake of missed opportunities.

Dave Mackie.

44 years old

37 years supporting the best team in Glasgow !

Thank you for the kind words but no apology necesary. I had NO idea that this would get quite so messy so fast!

I entirely agree with your sentiments but I fear that no matter how Thistle eventually vote (and I think they will vote "No") the shennanigans that have gone before will have scunnered many folk enough to put them off, not to mention fans of other First Division clubs who might choose to stay away from Firhill.

As for lottery numbers - I can give you 6 that are almost certain to be NOT in the draw, anytime!

Thank you for the kind words but no apology necesary. I had NO idea that this would get quite so messy so fast!

I entirely agree with your sentiments but I fear that no matter how Thistle eventually vote (and I think they will vote "No") the shennanigans that have gone before will have scunnered many folk enough to put them off, not to mention fans of other First Division clubs who might choose to stay away from Firhill.

As far as I'm concerned a no vote will be sufficient. Speaking only for myself but being scunnered with the way our club has been run goes with the territory. In other words I'm now basically immune to shenanigans.

I've got a rough idea how Beattie & Co dug this hole (the "why" tho' a bit less easy to follow) and if I'm right then he's got my limited sympathy for this mess. It's better I just leave it like that for now.

This rangers/sevco business has its own crazy dynamic and very few have predicted everything to date so it's fair to presume we're in for more largely unforeseen detours in the next week or so. One thing I will predict is that those forecasters of financial meltdown, Doncaster, Regan & Longmuir will still be drawing their fat salaries.

LIB, we already getting the monkey media today blasting away with more tales of armaggeddon (you couldn't make it up but they do) if Sevco don't get at least Div 1. I guess they are all worried about their succulent lamb.

I don't expect those kid-on journalists to have a clue about the real situation but the SPL/SFA guys involved with this ought to have some inkling of the disaster that Newco/Sevco/whatever could be if they are allowed in. Even letting them into the third is dodgy though I suppose there they will do the least damage if they implode.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Living away from all the media hype about this allows me to have a different picture here.

I would love to be able to watch Thistle every week. I wish I could see the matches more than just 2 or 3 times a year when I am back home. I really fear for our club given the statements from posters about returning season tickets/giving up on the club.

From what I have read, I see fans being sucked into a debate created by another club and with our directors not going either way on how they will vote (along with the other 29 SFL clubs).

The debate is obviously hot topic in Scotland and people are getting too far into it. I would appeal to those who say they would no longer watch the Jags to think again. The current players, coach and manager have nothing to do with this. They are our club. Even if the Directors voted yes (which I think they would now be foolish to do) it would not stop me following the team I love. When the dust settles down, even if you feel so strongly about it now I would hope that you would slowly find your way back to Firhill.

Thistle has not created this mess, Rangers did. Don't let our club die because of them...

Living away from all the media hype about this allows me to have a different picture here.

I would love to be able to watch Thistle every week. I wish I could see the matches more than just 2 or 3 times a year when I am back home. I really fear for our club given the statements from posters about returning season tickets/giving up on the club.

From what I have read, I see fans being sucked into a debate created by another club and with our directors not going either way on how they will vote (along with the other 29 SFL clubs).

The debate is obviously hot topic in Scotland and people are getting too far into it. I would appeal to those who say they would no longer watch the Jags to think again. The current players, coach and manager have nothing to do with this. They are our club. Even if the Directors voted yes (which I think they would now be foolish to do) it would not stop me following the team I love. When the dust settles down, even if you feel so strongly about it now I would hope that you would slowly find your way back to Firhill.

Thistle has not created this mess, Rangers did. Don't let our club die because of them...

I tend to agree that people are getting a bit too carried away at the moment. I for one will be very disappointed if Thistle vote Yes to Newco but so far they have not done this. All the directors have done to date is sent out holding messages which tell us nothing but keep their options open. This sems sensible given the importance of the decision. It's easy for us as individuals to make our minds up on this issue but the future of the club rests on their shoulders and I for one am glad that they're not making any rushed decisions under pressure to appease the fans, and without the full story yet available. And if they said nothing they'd be crucified, so the statements, for all that they're pretty weak, were necessary. As long as the board comes to a reasonable decision in the end we should all get behind them. In the meantime, it's fine to keep the pressure up, but excessive criticism at this stage is, I think, unjustified.

This sems sensible given the importance of the decision. It's easy for us as individuals to make our minds up on this issue but the future of the club rests on their shoulders and I for one am glad that they're not making any rushed decisions under pressure to appease the fans, and without the full story yet available. And if they said nothing they'd be crucified, so the statements, for all that they're pretty weak, were necessary. As long as the board comes to a reasonable decision in the end we should all get behind them. In the meantime, it's fine to keep the pressure up, but excessive criticism at this stage is, I think, unjustified.

Could you paint a scenario where you think newco entering the 2nd tier of Scottish football would ever be remotely acceptable to the majority of Jags fans?

Could you paint a scenario where you think newco entering the 2nd tier of Scottish football would ever be remotely acceptable to the majority of Jags fans?

Yes, I think I could. See what you reckon...

SPL and SFL merge to single authority, two leagues of 16 with "pyramid structure" (whatever that means) beneath, Sevco playing in second tier but transfer embargo reinstated, all footballing debts transferred to Sevco, 2 teams promoted and relegated every year (possibly play-off for third), all money distributed on "fairer" basis, one off payment to all existing SFL teams to accommodate the whole scam. Throw in that they're not allowed the word "Rangers" in their name. Add to this, reality of financial position is that Thistle are unable to meet bills and wages this season without SPL dowry, and directors know that the club would therefore be forced into administration if No vote occurs.

I've painted a worst and best case scenario which I don't believe to be realistic, but in my opinion it demonstrates that there are circumstances under which a No vote should not be an absolute given, hence why the club are justified in waiting for the full story. I still should emphaisie that I'm in no way in favour of a Yes vote, on the basis of what I understand at this stage.

Yes, I think I could. See what you reckon...

SPL and SFL merge to single authority, two leagues of 16 with "pyramid structure" (whatever that means) beneath, Sevco playing in second tier but transfer embargo reinstated, all footballing debts transferred to Sevco, 2 teams promoted and relegated every year (possibly play-off for third), all money distributed on "fairer" basis, one off payment to all existing SFL teams to accommodate the whole scam. Throw in that they're not allowed the word "Rangers" in their name. Add to this, reality of financial position is that Thistle are unable to meet bills and wages this season without SPL dowry, and directors know that the club would therefore be forced into administration if No vote occurs.

I've painted a worst and best case scenario which I don't believe to be realistic, but in my opinion it demonstrates that there are circumstances under which a No vote should not be an absolute given, hence why the club are justified in waiting for the full story. I still should emphaisie that I'm in no way in favour of a Yes vote, on the basis of what I understand at this stage.

I spot an obvious flaw. That outline makes too much sense. :)

Anyway if anything of the above was on the cards I'm sure Mr Longmuir would have mentioned it in his dodgy document.

So try this for size, 11 SPL clubs want newco out the way for just enough time to change the voting rights giving them a larger share of TV monies. But TV money is largely dependent on ugly sister games. Thus it's crucial they get newco back in the top tier in the shortest possible time and back to the customary 4 ugly sister meetings, which to accommodate requires league status quo remain.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I spot an obvious flaw. That outline makes too much sense. :)

Anyway if anything of the above was on the cards I'm sure Mr Longmuir would have mentioned it in his dodgy document.

So try this for size, 11 SPL clubs want newco out the way for just enough time to change the voting rights giving them a larger share of TV monies. But TV money is largely dependent on ugly sister games. Thus it's crucial they get newco back in the top tier in the shortest possible time and back to the customary 4 ugly sister meetings, which to accommodate requires league status quo remain.

Fair enough. I agree that's the more likely scenario, and in such a situation I would hope that the directors of Thistle and every other club would see sense and boot it in the canal. I'm not campaigning for a yes, I've written to the club making clear that I want them to vote "no".

I just think that Thistle fans have to be a bit more patient, and give the board the opportunity to get the full facts and weigh it all up before making their decision, rather than some of the ranting on here about a decision that hasn't been made.

If they say yes, and it isn't clear that this is justified by extreme (and unlikely) circumstances then I'll be on here ranting along with everyone else. But we'll wait and see.

Sounds great. I'm still struggling to understand what this has to do with where Sevco play—why can't we have this anyway? Sevco apply to join the lower tiers and work their way up, just like any other new team would.

Sounds great. I'm still struggling to understand what this has to do with where Sevco play—why can't we have this anyway? Sevco apply to join the lower tiers and work their way up, just like any other new team would.

In terms of league set-up, it shouldn't have anything to do with Sevco, ideally. However the Thistle directors find themselves in a situation where this may be their only chance to push through changes. Push Sevco to the Third and you'll find the SPL clubs circling the wagons. Thistle didn't create the situation, but it is the situation they find themselves in.

In terms of the potential financial difficulties resulting from a no vote, it has everything to do with the club formerly known as Rangers (though I'm not convinced that the new Sevco will bring the same financial benefits).

Still want a NO vote! I feel I have to say this at the end of every e-mail. I don't want my message confused.