" The Hot Potato Game Continues "

its4nothing!

That's just a shambles if they do that. Absolute shambles.

We have no idea if the rump of Newco can even operate next season and they're about to jeopardise the whole of the Scottish game. Time was of the essence 4 weeks ago, and it's almost beyond that now.

It's clear they want to hoist the toxicity of this decision onto the SFL, or by proxy via the SFA.

Cowards.

(comment withdrawn, obviously, if they don't duck the vote...)

This was reported on 5Live this morning, with Roddy Forsyth and Neil Doncaster both interviewed, repeating the scaremongering and suggesting that Scottish football without Rangers in the First Division or above will not survive. I started shouting at the radio.

This is the reason why I agree with the PTFC statement that this needs to go into the hands of the SFA. If the SFL vote to admit the newco to the Third Division or not to admit them at all, the SPL will probably change their minds and decide they can after all have them in the SPL. This is the only explanation as to why the SPL are considering delaying their vote. They can be called nothing but cowards if they delay their vote.

Have i missed something? Surely the sfl clubs wont vote until they have something to vote on? I cant imagine they will vote until the spl have made a decision

Exactly. It hints at an SFA sponsored solution, otherwise there can't and shouldn't be a vote (on what??).

I'm not a sports lawyer, so am unsure about the SFA's abilities to impose a solution. But anything that delays predictability beyond the next few days will cause carnage in the game as a whole...

Have i missed something? Surely the sfl clubs wont vote until they have something to vote on? I cant imagine they will vote until the spl have made a decision

hence the OP's reference to the hot potato game.

SPL & SFL like two spoilt kids being told to go and tidy their rooms before the visitors arrive. Both won't do it till the other starts. Eventually Daddy SFA will step in and make a half arsed attempt but only cause the visitors are nearly here.

That's just a shambles if they do that. Absolute shambles.

We have no idea if the rump of Newco can even operate next season and they're about to jeopardise the whole of the Scottish game. Time was of the essence 4 weeks ago, and it's almost beyond that now.

It's clear they want to hoist the toxicity of this decision onto the SFL, or by proxy via the SFA.

Cowards.

(comment withdrawn, obviously, if they don't duck the vote...)

When is their vote? Has any decision been made on either Dundee or Dunfermline going into the SPL

Hot Potato is a nice description. I've been using "pass the parcel of shit" for a couple of weeks now.

Anyway, this is not the SFL's problem if the SPL don't vote. The SFL has a fixture list and the cup draws have been made and can be fulfilled. What's the problem? There are no cyphers in the SFL.

Bop.

Doncaster was on tv today saying newco in 3rd div is not viable (for SPL clubs) so presumably SPL clubs will duck the issue again today and wait for SFL vote next week. If SFL say no to div1 then SPL clubs do a u turn a take them into SPL? I guess that's what Doncaster is hoping - ie threaten SFL clubs.

All this pish about the end of Scottish football if newco go to div3..... Bollocks. So what if half a dozen SPL teams go bust, they can restart in div3 too and rebuild. If there is less tv money for 3 years all clubs can cut their cloth and there is no competitive disadvantage. The game will be better in the long term.

If SPL don't vote today then let's have SFL call their bluff next week. If SPL do a y turn their own supporters will destroy them.

Time for some bloody principled action! Doncaster is toast next week and he knows it.

It'll be interesting to see if the SPL actually do a vote on something. This parcel passing is ridiculous. If the SPL pass the parcel, the SFL might well cancel theirs an' all. So what happens if they pass the parcel right up to the start of the season, then what? If the Oldco don't get wound up soon the really bad punishments might start up and they won't like it up em, and presumably the Newco isn't even SFA-registered yet.

Edit: music stops, parcel dropped in SFL chair!

Edited by alx

Interesting. Now, if the SFL were truly run by people looking after the SFL's interests, they would completely ignore this for a few days, ban all Chairmen from making individual statements and issue a blanket "the SFL clubs are looking forward to the coming season which kicks off in a couple of weeks' time. Forthcoming fixtures can be found here..." type statement.

Let them stew until they (the SPL and SFA) come back with something sensible.

I'm so naive.

• Members

Interesting. Now, if the SFL were truly run by people looking after the SFL's interests, they would completely ignore this for a few days, ban all Chairmen from making individual statements and issue a blanket "the SFL clubs are looking forward to the coming season which kicks off in a couple of weeks' time. Forthcoming fixtures can be found here..." type statement.

Let them stew until they (the SPL and SFA) come back with something sensible.

I'm so naive.

Exactly Juan. The SFL should be making announcements on behalf of all the Clubs. I'd presume that the meeting yesterday wasn't a total waste of time!

Not getting you. You mean the SFL can choose not to promote either Dunfermline or Dundee?

I was thinking exactly that as a possible solution for next season which will buy time for everyone to have input to a proper restructuring of Scottish football, rather than a rushed attempt to frigg the rules.

So, Rangers get kicked out of the league.

SFL1/2/3 stay as they are with all fixtures already in place and no scope for any legal appeals.

That leaves the SPL with just 11 teams and each club has some blank weekends where they are scheduled to play Club 12. If these fixtures were turned into "friendlies" against Club 12, no-one looses any revenue and Sky get their 4 games. Further, as these are friendlies, it gives a chance for younger/fringe/trialist players to get a proper match and Club 12 don't need Ibrox, which may not get a safety certificate.

Happy to be shot down, so tell me where my idea has gone wrong.

I was thinking exactly that as a possible solution for next season which will buy time for everyone to have input to a proper restructuring of Scottish football, rather than a rushed attempt to frigg the rules.

So, Rangers get kicked out of the league.

SFL1/2/3 stay as they are with all fixtures already in place and no scope for any legal appeals.

That leaves the SPL with just 11 teams and each club has some blank weekends where they are scheduled to play Club 12. If these fixtures were turned into "friendlies" against Club 12, no-one looses any revenue and Sky get their 4 games. Further, as these are friendlies, it gives a chance for younger/fringe/trialist players to get a proper match and Club 12 don't need Ibrox, which may not get a safety certificate.

Happy to be shot down, so tell me where my idea has gone wrong.

We'll still be where we are now, what to do with Newco? So in a years time, they just get straight back into the top league? Even in a 16 team top league, that's still against everything we've been arguing for over the past few weeks...'sporting integrity'. Although it is one way for the SPL to get their minimum aim of Newco only out of the SPL for one season, Newco will have been seen to have been punished accordingly, league reconstruction will have been done on the basis of what's best for Scottish football (as will all the other things like voting rights and financial distribution) and that will be that. Actually, that doesn't sound too bad as a last resort compromise.

Edited to add: What happens next season tho, are we going for promotion or will that be shelved?

Edited by Steven H