Crowd Noise

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone else notice the crowd noise (presumably from the North Stand) that was being played into the JH stand today over the tannoy? What on earth was that all about? It sounded awful and was really annoying.

Great game today, and a really good atmosphere, but I have absolutely no idea who thought the above was a good idea.

Seems as if some people disagree with you "1971"

There's nothing wrong with trying these things out, surely?

Under the previous BOD, the atmosphere within the ground was never considered, unless someone can tell me otherwise.

The fact that onethistle have tried to address this head on, surely can only be a good thing.

If we were too scared to try anything new we would still be watching games in morgue-like atmospheres.

I do find it strange, 1971, that you are the only person within the jags support who was angry enough to start a whole new thread about something which, to me, seems extremely minor.

Under the previous BOD, the atmosphere within the ground was never considered, unless someone can tell me otherwise.

The fact that onethistle have tried to address this head on, surely can only be a good thing.

If we were too scared to try anything new we would still be watching games in morgue-like atmospheres.

I do find it strange, 1971, that you are the only person within the jags support who was angry enough to start a whole new thread about something which, to me, seems extremely minor.

There is nothing wrong in trying out new things, which are attempting to create a better atmosphere at matches, some will work others wont, having the singing from the North Stand piped into the JHS, for me was not a good idea and the quality sounded poor and it didn't help the atmosphere.

The singing from the North Stand was good enough to stand on it's own merits, we could hear it well enough without any additional tinny version in the background.

I am neither "moaning" or "angry" about this piped singing, merely expressing my considered opinion as a fan, surely this is what OneThistle are after, feedback from all Thistle supporters? As I have said before some ideas will work others wont, for me and many sitting around me this piped singing is a non-starter, I prefer the original un-piped version straight from the North Stand.

There is nothing wrong in trying out new things, which are attempting to create a better atmosphere at matches, some will work others wont, having the singing from the North Stand piped into the JHS, for me was not a good idea and the quality sounded poor and it didn't help the atmosphere.

The singing from the North Stand was good enough to stand on it's own merits, we could hear it well enough without any additional tinny version in the background.

I am neither "moaning" or "angry" about this piped singing, merely expressing my considered opinion as a fan, surely this is what OneThistle are after, feedback from all Thistle supporters? As I have said before some ideas will work others wont, for me and many sitting around me this piped singing is a non-starter, I prefer the original un-piped version straight from the North Stand.

Wull I totally agree with you, and the feedback has already been acknowledged and will be acted upon.

The fact that the fans are now being listened to, instead of ignored and considered as a mere necessary inconvenience, is in itself a real achievement when you consider where we have come from under the previous BOD.

For me, onethistle is about listening to what the fans want and doing our upmost to deliver that.

It just seemed to me a bit odd that the opening poster felt it necessary to start a whole new thread on this issue when there are at least 2 threads discussing the match day experience already.

Edited by ian_mac

Calm down! The only reason I started a thread about it was because I didn't want to be negative in any thread about the match, which was brilliant. I'm most definitely not "angry". I'm happy for this thread to be merged into the existing matchday threads, there wasn't any particular reason for starting a new thread.

I think it's great that we are trying new things, and I think the move to the North Stand worked really well. I previously said that the atmosphere was superb, and the fact that the fans were in the North Stand definitely helped that. All I'm saying is that the piped noise in the JH was quite annoying as it sounded very tinny, had a slight time delay and in general sounded unnatural.

Edited by 1971

Well, it doesnt really matter, because it isnt something that can be controlled.

As Ive tried to explain above the noise coming through the speakers is the side effect of 200 odd fans singing their hearts out.

It may sound bizarre but Speakers can act just like Microphones. If you were to shout into a pair of headphones and stuck a mic to your ear, you will be able to hear yourself.

The only way to stop this will be to turn the speakers off in the North Stand. Its actually a bit of an achievement in a way, that fans in 'the new shed' were loud enough to be able to send a signal through the PA system.

...any of that make sense? Am probably not explaining it very well sorry.

Well, it doesnt really matter, because it isnt something that can be controlled.

As Ive tried to explain above the noise coming through the speakers is the side effect of 200 odd fans singing their hearts out.

It may sound bizarre but Speakers can act just like Microphones. If you were to shout into a pair of headphones and stuck a mic to your ear, you will be able to hear yourself.

The only way to stop this will be to turn the speakers off in the North Stand. Its actually a bit of an achievement in a way, that fans in 'the new shed' were loud enough to be able to send a signal through the PA system.

...any of that make sense? Am probably not explaining it very well sorry.

This is not true. The PA speakers will be wired to the PA output and therefor cannot act as a microphone. So the idea of the singing section being so loud that it comes out the speakers in the JHS is an impossibility. It is more likely because Lance came up The North Stand and put a microphone up there.

I was enjoying myself in The North Stand yesterday and Lance switched off the speakers there after the start of the game. No bad thing TBH because the volume of tinny, distorted noise coming out those pishy speakers was making my ears bleed. However, he forgot to switch them back on again at half-time. Couldn't hear the HT draw... Still, I'd rather that than the migraine induced noise torture we were subjected to pre-match.

This is not true. The PA speakers will be wired to the PA output and therefor cannot act as a microphone. So the idea of the singing section being so loud that it comes out the speakers in the JHS is an impossibility. It is more likely because Lance came up The North Stand and put a microphone up there.

I was enjoying myself in The North Stand yesterday and Lance switched off the speakers there after the start of the game. No bad thing TBH because the volume of tinny, distorted noise coming out those pishy speakers was making my ears bleed. However, he forgot to switch them back on again at half-time. Couldn't hear the HT draw... Still, I'd rather that than the migraine induced noise torture we were subjected to pre-match.

Well, I was pretty sure thats what was happening, I couldnt really imagine the idea of a mic being placed in the North Stand. Though the speakers were turned back on early on in the second half.

Edited to add;

But I bow down to your greater knowledge, I was just trying to figure out any explanation for the weird noise...as I said, couldnt really imagine a mic actually being put in the stand

Edited by ewanstu

It's a tough one to call.

A couple of folk said they didn't like it. Some folk said they didn't hear it.

One thing I do know is, it really wound up the Falkirk support. So for me it worked, even if that wasn't it's purpose.

Would it work with a smaller crowd, probably not.

It wound me up too! It's not a massive issue, but it was just quite annoying and wasn't really required. Arguably worth trying but I would hope it isn't repeated.

Maybe the gain on the mic needs to be turned down a wee bit. Will help prevent the feedback and be less tinny. Mind you, the PA system they have there isn't the best to be honest but could be ajusted to sound better.

I appreciate the effort being put in to improve the atmosphere and the move to the North stand is a big positive but this is another no vote regarding relaying the chanting etc.

The sound travels perfectly fine from the North stand without it being rebroadcast from a shrill speaker right in front of your seat in the JHS.

We could always record both halves and sell of as a double CD set at the end of each game. Or maybe not.

I think it sounded a bit odd but did help the JHS generate some noise when needed. Me, I stayed quiet but my singing voice is most definitely not my best feature.

The music before the game and at half time, though, was too loud. Would be ok if you could cut the high-end but if that's not possible then it's got to be down a bit.

We could always record both halves and sell of as a double CD set at the end of each game. Or maybe not.

I think it sounded a bit odd but did help the JHS generate some noise when needed. Me, I stayed quiet but my singing voice is most definitely not my best feature.

The music before the game and at half time, though, was too loud. Would be ok if you could cut the high-end but if that's not possible then it's got to be down a bit.

This, having to shout at people standing next to you just to have a conversation isn't on for me.