Trying To Date Old Pictures Of Firhill

stuthejag

The second picture is my photo, 3 photos (badly) photoshopped together. It was the last game of the season v Forfar, season 1989? Final score was 4-1 or 4-0 to Thistle. Memory has failed me.

Home now, checked the official PTFC history book, May 6th 1989, Thistle 4 Forfar 1. Last home game of the season.

Edited by i@n

Aerial view Pre Shed (1950's)

All great photos. A shame that there's only the old pre-shed in the first one. When did the shed get erected; the forties?

Pre main stand redevelopment (1970's - pre 1989)

For the second, I'm guessing late 1970s, if only because the sun was shining.

1950's or 1960's

Early 60s at latest would be my guess.

Third photo - The two parked trolleybuses at the 105 terminus in Northpark Street were a type delivered to GCT from Dec 1957. As there are leaves on the trees, photo therefore may be as early as 1958. Trolleybus service was withdrawn 27th May 1967, so no later than that.

In the photo, the south terracing has been rebuilt, removing the greyhound track, when was that done?

Edit - just seen a newspaper article on the above mentioned website saying the ground was upgraded by June 1959, so photo could be between 1959 and 1967.

Edited by weebaldie

Third photo - The two parked trolleybuses at the 105 terminus in Northpark Street were a type delivered to GCT from Dec 1957. As there are leaves on the trees, photo therefore may be as early as 1958. Trolleybus service was withdrawn 27th May 1967, so no later than that.

In the photo, the south terracing has been rebuilt, removing the greyhound track, when was that done?

1959 - http://partickthistleahistory.wetpaint.com/page/1959+-+Firhill+Facelift+Article

My dad started taking me to Firhill in the late 50s when I was 2 and picture 3 is my earliest memory of the ground with the pretty inadequate covering at the away end. Remember that there was an pretty horrific gents bog up that end and a food stall right beside it!!

Indeed. A bunch of us used to get on it in Drumchapel.

I went with my old man on the Whiteinch...remember some of the older guys on it like Bobby Hanlon and Ian McLeod and some younger guys that I went to school with like Johnny Morton and Jim Duncan and some of his brothers Was a great bus!

Ha ha, John Morton was a head case! Jim Duncan is still a regular at games. I also remember one of the convenors, Eric McIvor, and the guy with the walking stick, Colin. Numerous Drumchapel names come to mind: the McGill brothers, the McLure brothers, Willie Totten, Alex Hume. You're right, it was a great bus.

Ha ha, John Morton was a head case! Jim Duncan is still a regular at games. I also remember one of the convenors, Eric McIvor, and the guy with the walking stick, Colin. Numerous Drumchapel names come to mind: the McGill brothers, the McLure brothers, Willie Totten, Alex Hume. You're right, it was a great bus.

Aye John was a bit of a headbanger. Still see Jim occassionally at some of the home games. I remember Eric and Colin (Lavery?) but none of the others. Ah nostalgia, Jagger...lol!!

Edited by Lindau