Dumbarton Tonight

Coljag

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trust me, he was the best set-piece taker at Killie, and will instantly become the best set-piece taker at Thistle, McCall was telling him to take the set-pieces on Saturday.

Not the quickest player, but extremely skillful and can beat a player very easily, that combined with his delivery, could provide us with a fair few goals next season.

I've no reason to doubt you, it's just that the most memorable thing he done tonight was take a corner that went straight over the bar,and I was just havin' a laugh , but he did look quite good

When Paton came on he played right back

Dreadful stuff, powder puff, timid, shy, lightweight and can't play forward, we should turn the team around coz we're sh*t hot at going backwards.

Joking aside, two great strikes fom Scumbarton, especially the second

:lol: That's pathetic.

I wonder if the board and/or McCall will get the finger out and get in a full-back or two. Seems Boyle got ripped a new one off a feckin Dumbarton player and Paton hasn't kicked his own arse in far too long.

I fear Finlayson and Strachan will run a mock against them in the Challenge cup tie. Not optimistic about the Clyde game whatsoever.

The trialist is Iain Flannigan from Kilmarnock, 22 year old centre/right midfield, ideally played in the whole. Will instantly become one of the best technical players at the club, and his set-pieces will be a real asset to us, watch out for this guy, he is a bit special and never got the chance he deserved under "hammer throwers only" Jim Jefferies.

Trust me, he was the best set-piece taker at Killie, and will instantly become the best set-piece taker at Thistle, McCall was telling him to take the set-pieces on Saturday.

Not the quickest player, but extremely skillful and can beat a player very easily, that combined with his delivery, could provide us with a fair few goals next season.

Yeah, he's that good he got released by an absolutely woeful Kilmarnock side who have no money whatsoever to replace him. :rolleyes:

Were we not told something similar about Bryan Hodge? Whatever happened to that waster?

The result might have been disappointing but some of the performances weren't too bad for this stage in the pre-season. Buchanan looked hungry and had plenty of energy, Donnelly was okay first half but faded and should have been off before he had to hobble off. Flannigan was comfortable on the ball and his distribution was good - he'll be an asset. No point critising the corner that went over the bar - the ball frequently completely changed direction in the air in the first half due to the strength of the wind. Some people just look for faults. I'm going to stick up for Paton as well - he was fine when he came on, didn't do anything silly, he's a one trick pony but as long as he does it solidly i'm happy with him in the team. I'm not going to go through the whole team but there were positives.

Now, Paddy Boyle. He is brutal to watch. There is no point transfer listing him - who the fcuk would want him? We need a left back and as i've said before, I was a fan of Conroy last season - can we please get him on a season loan Mr Lennon? I've never noticed Hinchcliffs physique before. Fcuk me, we need to sign a first choice keeper. He reminds me of Neville Southall, how he can be a good coach I'll never know but if he brings out the best in Halliwell and stays clear of the sticks on matchday i'll be happy.

The result might have been disappointing but some of the performances weren't too bad for this stage in the pre-season. Buchanan looked hungry and had plenty of energy, Donnelly was okay first half but faded and should have been off before he had to hobble off. Flannigan was comfortable on the ball and his distribution was good - he'll be an asset. No point critising the corner that went over the bar - the ball frequently completely changed direction in the air in the first half due to the strength of the wind. Some people just look for faults. I'm going to stick up for Paton as well - he was fine when he came on, didn't do anything silly, he's a one trick pony but as long as he does it solidly i'm happy with him in the team. I'm not going to go through the whole team but there were positives.

Now, Paddy Boyle. He is brutal to watch. There is no point transfer listing him - who the fcuk would want him? We need a left back and as i've said before, I was a fan of Conroy last season - can we please get him on a season loan Mr Lennon? I've never noticed Hinchcliffs physique before. Fcuk me, we need to sign a first choice keeper. He reminds me of Neville Southall, how he can be a good coach I'll never know but if he brings out the best in Halliwell and stays clear of the sticks on matchday i'll be happy.

I agree with most of this but what did Paton do solidly? I recall him getting the ball and hitting it long up the line (wi a wee bit of a curve to the left) on numerous occassions, every one of them a total waste. He didnt even look half the time!

I agree with most of this but what did Paton do solidly? I recall him getting the ball and hitting it long up the line (wi a wee bit of a curve to the left) on numerous occassions, every one of them a total waste. He didnt even look half the time!

He is so good he doesn't have to look, and never underestimate the wee bit of curve (to the left).

No but seriously, your criticisms are about his distribution, not his defending. As long as he can stop people getting past him, get the ball and clear it, i'm comfortable that he can do a job. I guess what i'm getting at is that the little money we have would be better spent in other areas. He gets pass marks in my opinion. Paddy Boyle on the other hand is a liability. He would get the man, give away free kicks in dangerous areas and I can see him getting sent off, weakening our team further. I don't expect everyone to agree but i'd much rather have Paul Paton in the starting 11 than Paddy Boyle.

But we havent signed him :thinking:

I heard we cant afford to sign anyone else apart from Halliwell unfortunately and while we would be better off with him in goals than Hinchcliffe we are still far too lightweight

Why would any manager play a trialist for 180 mins, who takes every corner kick and virtually all free kicks, and at the same time know he can't afford to sign him?

Incidentally in case anyone got confused the two late substitutions were Bannigan for Cairney then later Stevenson for Boyle and not vice versa as announced.

The most exciting part of tonights game was when Kinniburgh went down injured. Donnelly was already of and we were down to 10 men and it looked like it was going to be 9. Halliwell (sorry, trialist) starts getting stripped and is just about to put on shorts and an outfield players jersey . . . and then Kinniburgh came back on. Now that would've been exciting!

I hear Paul Emslie's currently taking a jobby. Can you confirm this?

Aye. He wiped his arse with McCalls contract offer as it wasn't good enough for him, quite sad really, thought he'd of been a good signing.

In what way?

I'll let you decide. All I'll say is I'm looking forward to my trips to Dumbdee, Cowdungbeath and Bean of the Mouth next year.

My goodness I must have been at the wrong game last night, reading this report Flannigan is a world beater 'Instantly the best set piece taker' 'Instantly the most technical player at Thistle' he looked ok but nothing special and certainly nothing like reported here.

If we are going into a new season with Paton, Boyle and big Willie at the back we are in serious trouble. I really do fear for the future. Our other options would be the return of Archie and Jackie Mac who are both the wrong side of 30 and coming back from serious injuries.

The Midfield looks decent enough and could be promising with the emergence of you Ryan McBeth. Up front we look gutless again Liam “sitter” Buchanan and big Grehan look sub standard to me and Doolan has proven as a less than adequate replacement.

Come on IM get it sorted and sign us some players or we are dooooooomed……

My goodness I must have been at the wrong game last night, reading this report Flannigan is a world beater 'Instantly the best set piece taker' 'Instantly the most technical player at Thistle' he looked ok but nothing special and certainly nothing like reported here.

If we are going into a new season with Paton, Boyle and big Willie at the back we are in serious trouble. I really do fear for the future. Our other options would be the return of Archie and Jackie Mac who are both the wrong side of 30 and coming back from serious injuries.

The Midfield looks decent enough and could be promising with the emergence of you Ryan McBeth. Up front we look gutless again Liam “sitter” Buchanan and big Grehan look sub standard to me and Doolan has proven as a less than adequate replacement.

I think its more the boards decision on this one.

I see Eddie Malone is still available can play in defence and midfield definetly a lot better than the vast majority of defenders we have

For the doom merchants its a pre season game FFS

McGeough is not helped by playing Cairney/Trialist out right as they both want to be in the middle of the park, we need a right sided midfielder.

Boyle not good enough but all we have till archies is fit or we bring in a left back.

Halliwell will sign and hinchy abviously had weight watchers the day and needed to lose a few pounds to get his target weight.

Lets be honest with ourselves at best we may challenge at worst we will be 8th

You're fogetting John Robertson. I'd have thought he'll be an automatic starter. If you assume Archie will partner him at the back when fit then all that remains to be seen is who fills in until his return.

Think you're being harsh on Liam there. Concerns will remain over his injury record, but he's proven time and again that he's an extremely capable goalscorer.

The summer must have mellowed me, but I don't have too many concerns about our starting XI, it's the depth of squad that's a worry. But, with widespread cuts being reported across the division (Dundee currently have a squad of 13, while Queens will operate with a squad 16 first-team players) I'm less anxious than I would've been in previous years.

He is so good he doesn't have to look, and never underestimate the wee bit of curve (to the left).

No but seriously, your criticisms are about his distribution, not his defending. As long as he can stop people getting past him, get the ball and clear it, i'm comfortable that he can do a job. I guess what i'm getting at is that the little money we have would be better spent in other areas. He gets pass marks in my opinion. Paddy Boyle on the other hand is a liability. He would get the man, give away free kicks in dangerous areas and I can see him getting sent off, weakening our team further. I don't expect everyone to agree but i'd much rather have Paul Paton in the starting 11 than Paddy Boyle.

Fair enuf but if that is the dross he is gona serve up this season I'd rather we stuck with McGeough at right back. Also, if we look at Hodge in the 1st half it was the reverse of Paton, can't tackle for toffee but his distribution was very good imo...maybe we could merge Paton and Hodge to make a half decent midfielder :thinking:

Fair enuf but if that is the dross he is gona serve up this season I'd rather we stuck with McGeough at right back.

I think you're placing too much emphasis on the young lads.

Fair enough, the old saying "if they're good enough, they're old enough" aaplies, but I think they should be used sparingly throughout the season, unless the look something special during there game time. Something I don't think can be applied to any of our youngsters - yet.

Paton appears to be the new target for people's ire. I don't think his performances have been any poorer than they were during his first season and his failings were immediately apparent.

I'd suggest the rumours of him looking for a move - and remember, they were only rumours - plus the fact he appeared to challenge some of our fans' view down at Ayr have caused his popularity to greatly diminish.

McCall extended Kinniburgh's contract before sending him out on loan to Clyde.

Before Boyle joined him, McCall said publicly that he had a future at Firhill. Then he transfer listed him at the end of the season. Boyle knows that he is not wanted but no other club will offer him a full-time contract. He will bide his time until the club offer him a tax-free lump sum to terminate his contract.

Remember McCall's boast that Boyle was better than Twaddle? Remember his boast that Hamilton offered something different? Then we had the Shields and Lovell disasters. McCall also said that Grehan needed a full pre-season to get his fitness up to First Division standards.

McCall had better get his act together or we will be relegated. Many blame the board but McCall has wasted a lot of their money. Would you throw more of your money down the drain?