Bill Mchaffie

little_miss_jag

Sad times. We are seeing fewer and fewer of our club's more senior fans. That, like it or not, is life.

It'd be nice if folk who know them could sit such fans down in front of a cheap and cheerful video camera and get them talking about the Jags games and the characters they've seen. There's an oral history that needs to be documented before it, too, passes from this life.

• Like 1

Sad times. We are seeing fewer and fewer of our club's more senior fans. That, like it or not, is life.

It'd be nice if folk who know them could sit such fans down in front of a cheap and cheerful video camera and get them talking about the Jags games and the characters they've seen. There's an oral history that needs to be documented before it, too, passes from this life.

Great idea McKennan.

When are you available for your interview? :P

Exactly what I did with Alan Dickson for the jagscast a couple of years ago.

Is old Harry still going strong? I remember his grandaughter was a steward at the city end for years, lovely lassie. She used to go with him to the away games as well.

Very sad to hear of Bill's death. Condolences to the family.

Edited by ian_mac
  • Like 1

Is old Harry still going strong? I remember his grandaughter was a steward at the city end for years, lovely lassie. She used to go with him to the away games as well.

There's a guy I bump into every time I go to Firhill who I used to deliver papers to 15 odd years ago. He always has stories of the team from decades ago and could talk for hours about thistle. Being terrible with names I can never remember his, but if someone was to look at video/audio recording these guys telling stories I'd make sure to ask him should I bump into him next time I'm up.

And I can only repeat the condolences. I didn't know him but people like him (from what I gather) make Firhill what it is and I'm sure he'll be missed by many.

Edited by twinny

I suggested this a few years ago but it's maybe something that onethistle could take on.

A supporters hall of fame night.

Get all these guys together where they can share stories and make sure they get recognised for all the years they've given to the club. Would be a great night I reckon.

I suggested this a few years ago but it's maybe something that onethistle could take on.

A supporters hall of fame night.

Get all these guys together where they can share stories and make sure they get recognised for all the years they've given to the club. Would be a great night I reckon.

I like that idea, though I think actually inducting fans into a hall of fame might be a little cringeworthy. Have a guest speaker such as Lambie to help pull the punters in and then ask a number of seasoned fans in to tell their own stories about what Firhill was like when they were growing up, who their favourite players were, etc.

Since we're doing well they could even do comparisons of current team with their favourite players of the past. I imagine this would not go down well when the team isn't doing well!

Yes Ian, Harry is well and sits next to myself and his grand daughter Mary.

He doesn't make it to away games much anymore as it is too much for him.

94 years young next birthday I think.

Thoughts with Bill's family at this tough time.

• Like 2

So sad to hear this. I sat beside Bill in the JHS for the last 3-4 seasons and it was a real privilege knowing him. A Partick Thistle man through and through who told some brilliant stories of Thistle teams of yesteryear. I sat beside him at the Dunfermline game. He was a very very happy man that day and left the ground with a contented smile on his face. Not just because of the performance and score but also because he had recently taken possession of a fantastic photo of himself with the League Cup at Hampden. I can't put into words how proud he was of it. A man with true red and yellow blood running through his veins. Firhill won't be the same without him. RIP.

• Like 3

http://ptfc.co.uk/ne...3/bill_mchaffie

Sad to hear, I always had good chat with him and he always tried to be funny when I sold 50/50s the year after he gave it up. Sad news.

Thanks “Little Miss Jag” for putting this thread on.

Dad passed away peacefully on Sunday night and although we were preparing ourselves for the moment it has been quite a blow to us all. Many of the Firhill Family have been in touch and we are grateful to them for their comments and support.

Dad attended his first Thistle match in 1934 when at a very early age, (4), he knew there was only “One Team in Glasgow!” :fan:

As “Brian” says my Dad will be remembered amongst other things as the main man running the (St Andrews Ambulance Corp), First Aid Team attending first team matches (and the reserve matches). Yes he saw our team through the good times and those ‘less-good’ and in those seventy-eight years his emotional resilience must have been tested to the extreme. He was accepted into the Firhill Family and he even got invited to sit in the old dug-out with Jackie Husband and/or Willie Ross rather than freeze in the enclosure at those reserve matches.

My first trip to a match with my Dad was in the very early 70’s and before long Dad was asked if I had a pair of football boots. No, you’ll not find my name on the playing staff as I didn't get a match I was a ball-boy. When I grew too big to fit inside the ball boys kit I briefly relocated to ‘The Shed’ but decided before long to join Dads First Aid Team and spent many, many happy years attending home matches with him, carrying the corner of an occasional stretcher. However I preferred travelling on the North-West bus to away matches rather than see the reserves.

Firhill has always been like a second home to my Dad with his second family being there so here's one particular story about a member of that family who also was a famous ‘Scotland No1’ (aka Scruffie) regularly borrowed many a 2p coin after home matches from Dad so Scruffie could phone his wife to tell her he was ok and would be heading home soon, xxx.

There are many happy memories and I’m sure there will be some more happy memories recollected and shared on Monday at his funeral.

Thank you for all your comments.

Neil McHaffie

. . . . . . . . . . . RIP Dad

• Like 6