What's The Difference Between Rowson Leaving And Mcnamarra Leaving

Lenziejag

One of them had us doing well and could have got us leaving the first division at the right end; his departure could affect that severely. The other is a club legend who was no longer getting a look in and it probably is the right time to move on in his career.

It is striking the different reaction from some fans between McNamarra leaving and David Rowson leaving in the middle of a crucial season. Is it only down to length of service ?

No true Jags fans would ask such a question.

Edited by kni

It is striking the different reaction from some fans between McNamarra leaving and David Rowson leaving in the middle of a crucial season. Is it only down to length of service ?

Great question, I have never understood the logic that some ex players are cheered (Mark Roberts) and others booed (Gary Harkins). Personally I don't think football clubs show any loyality to players, I certainly don't think fans show any loyalty to players (look how quickly we turn on a player after a few bad performances) so why oh why should players show any loyality to a club?

If your company's competitor offered you a 50% pay rise would you stay out of loyalty? You might stay out of fear, or work/life balance, but loyalty?

David Rowson was very much on the periphery of the squad. It was recognised that this was always likely to remain the case and, with there being a large number of midfielders in the pecking order ahead of him, it would be MUTUALLY beneficial if he were to move on. Being a part time player at the very end of his career, a part time division is clearly a better fit. Thistle benefit by not paying a player who doesn't play.

McNamarra leaving was not mutually beneficial. It was a move made unilaterally, purely for the benefit of himself.

Or, to put it another way, if David was a key member of the squad, or even an important fringe player, I'm sure he would still be here.

I honestly can't believe that had to be explained to you.

• Like 1

Great question, I have never understood the logic that some ex players are cheered (Mark Roberts) and others booed (Gary Harkins). Personally I don't think football clubs show any loyality to players, I certainly don't think fans show any loyalty to players (look how quickly we turn on a player after a few bad performances) so why oh why should players show any loyality to a club?

If your company's competitor offered you a 50% pay rise would you stay out of loyalty? You might stay out of fear, or work/life balance, but loyalty?

It's not a great question due to the specific comparison being considered, which is like comparing apples to oranges.

I take the more general point that reactions to players leaving can be inconsistent. Harkins leaving was another example of a move mutually beneficial to the parties, due to there being a considerable transfer fee paid. I never had an issue with this myself.

Roberts left for reasons similar to Rowson, after giving us great service.

Assuming it's a serious question...

Rowson behind Paton, Murray, Bannigan, Forbes, Welsh, Craigen & perhaps even O'Donnell for a place in a 3 man midfield the way this team has lined up this season.

At his age &, I'm guessing here, his job outside the game, he's taken the opportunity to get some game time instead of being 17th or 18th man at Firhill with occasional reserve game to break the training monotony.

McNamara has been in charge for about 20 months. This time last year we were in danger in getting dragged down into a relegation battle with Ayr picking up points & us continually losing away games & our home form suffering!

Forward the clock 12 months & we're convincingly winning most home games but still struggling away from home. We've had no away win since October frommemory & no clean sheets in 8.

Despite that we win our games in hand we have chance of going to top of league.

So.... We need our manager to sort out the problems. He's working hard in his office when the phone rings...

'Dundee Utd you say Mr Thompson?'

'Selling the best players you say?'

Cost cutting & no transfer budget?'

'7th in league but 2 points off what in any other league would be a play off spot for relegation?'

'Staying in Dundee 3 nights a week?'

'Double our wages?'

Puts hand over speaker

'Now we're talking Sid, give me that fixture list. 5 of our next 7 away from home...'

Back to Thompson.

'Where do we sign, for how long? Can I bring my other mate Darren? He's struggling for work as not many transfers happening? You will? We'll be there in an hour, call the press conference!'

Half a job Jackie right enough.

Sorted out home form but couldn't cut it with away form so he chose to cut & run for 1st reasonable offer that came his way.

That's the biggest difference between him & Rowson.

Rowson understood his time was up at this level, had COMPLETED the job for us & went to pastures new.

Jackie cut & run at 1st opportunity.

Edit: I'd just add to that, I bet when resigning talks were going on with likes of O'Donnell & Paton last Summer. The club, including McNamara, were encouraging them to sign on & prove their worth this season in order to get a move up next. Same thing probably applied during transfer windows.

Edited by Trotter
  • Like 3

Cheese- I don't know what your comment means .

Twinny - so it is length of service ?

Phoenix - so it is length of service ?

Duke - it is a serious question

Peagreen - Eh ?

Yoda - so it is ok to go as long as you leave a nice message ?

Kni - are you serious ?

Seriously, you don't get it? It's not length of service, it's loyalty. Rowser stayed until he could offer us no more and left at a time mutually beneficial to both parties. He gets a game elsewhere and we free up a wage. The other has seriously hindered our first attempt at promotion in about five years, though I appreciate he put us in such a good position too.

Cheese- I don't know what your comment means .

Twinny - so it is length of service ?

Phoenix - so it is length of service ?

Duke - it is a serious question

Peagreen - Eh ?

Yoda - so it is ok to go as long as you leave a nice message ?

Kni - are you serious ?

You. Just. Don't. Get. It.

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

What about the first time Rowson left ? Had he completed the job then ?

Anyway, I am getting the sense that you all think that he went to Dundee, because he hasn't finished what he started, which is fine - but there is no need to be offensive to me. I only asked the question. Sometimes I am totally disgusted with Thistle supporters.

Here's another question. There is almost 1/2 the season left. If we don't win anything, whose fault is it ?

• Like 1

Anyway, I am getting the sense that you all think that he went to Dundee, because he hasn't finished what he started, which is fine - but there is no need to be offensive to me. I only asked the question. Sometimes I am totally disgusted with Thistle supporters.

Here's another question. There is almost 1/2 the season left. If we don't win anything, whose fault is it ?

I think we all agree you just don't or won't get it But if you really need an answer it is MACNAMARA.

McNamara.

He set such a good example. Quitting when things got a little rocky & at 1st sign of extra money.

Why should his players want to do anything different when they've been asked to buy into the manager's ideas this season?

I notice you guys are only answering the questions you want to answer.

There have been loads of people that have left Thistle at the wrong time and don't get the abuse that is being handed out just now. Notable ones for me are Lambie and Archie, Jimmy Bone, but now are well regarded

There have been loads of people that have left Thistle at the wrong time and don't get the abuse that is being handed out just now. Notable ones for me are Lambie and Archie, Jimmy Bone, but now are well regarded

No, we answered the question you specifically asked, what is the difference between Rowson leaving and McNamarra? Now you're posing different questions that have little relevance to the first question

I'm staying out of this only to say it's difficult to compare managers and players. A manager can leave at any time of the season and in effect is rarely if ever held to contract. In any case it's by far the norm that a manager if he wants away will get away. A player on the other hand is nearly always held to contract or transfer fee unless the player in question is deemed no longer required.

The only way Rowson could have left us is with the blessing of the Club.

I'm having great difficulty taking this question seriously, is it just another excuse to have, in my view misguided pop at Jackie's perceived moral defects? In football theres been comings and goings since the day it was proffessionalised, if not indeed before. Thus I see nothing unique in MacNamara's departure. For goodness sake get over it and concentrate on supporting the interim management team and supporting the team as they try to win the league.