Erskine

jagielka

He's been one of our most consistent players this season and we've relied on him probably more than any other attacking player to create things. Queens quite rightly attempted to keep him and our wingers quiet and did a good job of it. I was only listening on the radio tonight but Morton's strength seemed to be in the centre of the park where Erskine plays, so it was only right that our wide players were more important. Other teams have identified Erskine as our main threat and try to stop him from playing as a means of stopping us from playing, no wonder he's not as consistent as he was earlier in the season.

If he has really signed a pre-contract should we play him for the remainder of the season? Will Archie sit him down and ask him straight out? Does he have any obligation to tell the truth?

Or perhaps he's just knackered.

Or carrying an injury?

Erskine has been superb for us. tonight he was all over the park. if it was not happening through the middle he was out wide.

as said other teams have realised he is a threat and as QoTS did Morton hit him hard and early. certain players may disappear from games after that but the big man kept on motoring on

I honestly can't believe someone's started a negative thread right now. For what it's worth I think he's a little fatigued. He's played a lot of football recently at a high tempo

no more so than the rest of the team. and as for negative. don't let the great result blind you to some hard facts. some of the players are no were near as good as will be required next season in the top div. it was a great result tonight, hard work over craft and skill. its a young team and we all hope they get better with more games under their belt in a better league, but the fans need to take the blinkers off and see the weak parts of the team.

no more so than the rest of the team. and as for negative. don't let the great result blind you to some hard facts. some of the players are no were near as good as will be required next season in the top div. it was a great result tonight, hard work over craft and skill. its a young team and we all hope they get better with more games under their belt in a better league, but the fans need to take the blinkers off and see the weak parts of the team.

Do you seriously expect a player like Erskine to play at his brilliant best every game? It's never going to happen with a player of his type at this level.

And if you're so convinced he's off, why you worried he won't be good enough for the SPL?

:shok: Unbelievable!!! :thumbdown::no:

Too true. I don't even know if Chris was playing that well tonight but I do know that Morton were clearly under instructions to mark him out the game. The weight he takes off the rest of midfield is considerable. To put it blatantly other teams are shit scared of him. And that was patently obvious tonight.

Oh and he did make the goal that may well have won us the league or did I just dream that?

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

The Curse of Thistle means that no-one improves their prospects after leaving Firhill.

It's just a fact......

As Alan Hansen, Alex Forsyth, Billy Thomson, Mo Johnston, Jim Melrose, Doug Somner, Joe Craig and Ronnie Glavin (among others, i.e. Dorrans and Wilko) can attest.....

Erskine may move on. Paton may do so also, as might others. Who knows?

What we can say for certain is that the guys who have got us to this point are a mix of players who have been here a few years and some less. Some at the end of contracts and some in the mid-point. Regardless, they have all contributed a great deal of effort and skill to a great season; tonight's result must SURELY mean we will be promoted.

We know where we stand. We can't compete with clubs willing to spend more money than Thistle can afford. On the plus side, it is harder for shysters to steal players than it was when Stephen Craigen and Alex Burns signed for Motherwell while Well were in administration, or when Archie and Shaggy were signed by a Dundee United that was overspending (though less so than they subsequently did under Ian McCall).

Almost anyone will move on when there is a chance of earning more money or potentially gaining more honours. We know this and have lived with it from when Thistle first began (for us).

This is the most enjoyable season I have experienced in decades of regularly seeing the Jags in the flesh, alongside 75-76 and 01-02. The 5-1 win against Dunfermline was fantastic, possibly the peak of what those players could collectively give. And we all had the opportunity or privilege of seeing it. If for no other reason, I would hope that the Pars survive to ensure that that game remains in the record books.....

Thistle will go on regardless of the playing squad. Frankly, I now fear losing our manager a whole lot more than I do any of the players!

Edited by David Stevenson
  • Like 5

he has been a victim of his own success this season. the last few games he has been the first person to get an elbow or a knee in the back. players have surrounded him as soon as he got the ball, and this is why bannigan and cragein have had so much time on the ball and turned into such important players. at the start of the season no one knew how to take erskine, and its only since they have tried to stop him play have others became more important. When he's been marked out, its left so much room for elliot to come on, and the others to fill the gaps.

erskines play in the first 2/3rds of the season got us to where we are, however its been our squad thats got us over the final hurdle.