Erskine

jagielka

As Alan Hansen, Alex Forsyth, Billy Thomson, Mo Johnston, Jim Melrose, Doug Somner, Joe Craig and Ronnie Glavin (among others, i.e. Dorrans and Wilko) can attest.....

Erskine may move on. Paton may do so also, as might others. Who knows?

What we can say for certain is that the guys who have got us to this point are a mix of players who have been here a few years and some less. Some at the end of contracts and some in the mid-point. Regardless, they have all contributed a great deal of effort and skill to a great season; tonight's result must SURELY mean we will be promoted.

We know where we stand. We can't compete with clubs willing to spend more money than Thistle can afford. On the plus side, it is harder for shysters to steal players than it was when Stephen Craigen and Alex Burns signed for Motherwell while Well were in administration, or when Archie and Shaggy were signed by a Dundee United that was overspending (though less so than they subsequently did under Ian McCall).

Almost anyone will move on when there is a chance of earning more money or potentially gaining more honours. We know this and have lived with it from when Thistle first began (for us).

This is the most enjoyable season I have experienced in decades of regularly seeing the Jags in the flesh, alongside 75-76 and 01-02. The 5-1 win against Dunfermline was fantastic, possibly the peak of what those players could collectively give. And we all had the opportunity or privilege of seeing it. If for no other reason, I would hope that the Pars survive to ensure that that game remains in the record books.....

Thistle will go on regardless of the playing squad. Frankly, I now fear losing our manager a whole lot more than I do any of the players!

Brilliant post.

At the Cup final I saw Archie call Erskine over when he took the CAPTAIN'S armband following a substitution. Erskine then ran back to the team and gave them a rallying shout. As I am keen on him, despite Sunday, I did see someone who cared about what was happening. He is certainly a candidate for PotY - one of many probably. (As a Nomad, I rely on you guys and the match highlights to inform me as to who are our would be PotY)

I honestly can't believe someone's started a negative thread right now. For what it's worth I think he's a little fatigued. He's played a lot of football recently at a high tempo

It's been a real test of stamina over the last 3/4 weeks - the earlier postponements could have hit us hard and we had extra time/ penalties in a high profile match just 3 days ago. All the players have had to call on all their reserves of strength. This is particularly the case with Chris Erskine who, being a creative flair player is given special " attention" by every team we come up against ( QOS a good example). For me, he has had an unbelievable season, and for people to suggest he hasn't been trying because of some (unsubstantiated) interest from DU is unworthy. I certainly have not given up hope of seeing him perform in a red/yellow shirt in the SPL next year.

I thought Erskine worked really hard tonight. He closed down Hardie very well.

He has not been going forward in the recent games but it looks to me that he is playing in a more defensive minded role. I'm guessing down to Archie tactics.

If he goes then he goes with my best wishes for a consistently great season.

Erskine gives his all.

If we go up then I would like to see the BOD push the boat out to offer him a contract. Both Erskine and Doolan seemed pretty keen in press interviews to play with Thistle in the SPL.

Even if they have signed pre contracts with Dundee United and its a big if pre contracts are not always binding plus it seems in Dundee United and Jackie Macs eyes that even written contracts possibly appear not to be binding anyway

Erskine gives his all.

If we go up then I would like to see the BOD push the boat out to offer him a contract. Both Erskine and Doolan seemed pretty keen in press interviews to play with Thistle in the SPL.

Even if they have signed pre contracts with Dundee United and its a big if pre contracts are not always binding plus it seems in Dundee United and Jackie Macs eyes that even written contracts possibly appear not to be binding anyway

I saw a comment on Twitter last night which said- 'I think the young players are just beginning to realise how big a club Partick Thistle are'.

I think it's up to the support to continue to prove that. Around 7000 jags fans there last night. That's an attendance most clubs outwith Aberdeen & the infirm would be delighted with.

The club at the start of the season probably budget for a crowd of around 3000 for this game as a max Given that we got nearly 9000 , I reckon that money could be used toward tying Erskine and Paton up , All we need is Judas to cough up his 80 grand and we are quids in.

To be honest IMHO I believe McNamara going has probably spurred the team on they have a belief home and away that they can win

The club at the start of the season probably budget for a crowd of around 3000 for this game as a max Given that we got nearly 9000 , I reckon that money could be used toward tying Erskine and Paton up , All we need is Judas to cough up his 80 grand and we are quids in.

To be honest IMHO I believe McNamara going has probably spurred the team on they have a belief home and away that they can win

The Ramsdens Final must have brought in a good few £KK as well.

Jagielka. Every post you make here is an utter disgrace.

You know absolutely nothing about football. You are a complete and utter bell end of a man.

As The Arch said, you quite simply do not deserve the chance to watch this team. I'd actually go further and say that you did not deserve to be part of that wonderful evening we had last night at Firhill.

The fact that you started this thread less than 30 minutes after the end of the game is astounding.

You are not right in the head old man, not right at all.

• Like 2

Erskine gives his all.

I've run out of likes, but I agree completely. I'd love to see Erskine and Doolan playing for us at the top level here in Scotland - and beyond. (Interestingly, we owe Ian McCall for signing these two talented players.)

Jagielka. Every post you make here is an utter disgrace.

You know absolutely nothing about football. You are a complete and utter bell end of a man.

As The Arch said, you quite simply do not deserve the chance to watch this team. I'd actually go further and say that you did not deserve to be part of that wonderful evening we had last night at Firhill.

The fact that you started this thread less than 30 minutes after the end of the game is astounding.

You are not right in the head old man, not right at all.

Wow.

I've run out of likes, but I agree completely. I'd love to see Erskine and Doolan playing for us at the top level here in Scotland - and beyond. (Interestingly, we owe Ian McCall for signing these two talented players.)

That's a good point and links to another point. How often do we get half-decent never mind really good managers?

We got McCall after a run of stinkers (which saw us relegated twice). Now McCall put the first steps in place - as you said, spotting and signing guys like Doolan and Erskine and making a move towards a proper youth setup. Then he went and McNamara came in ... Now try to be cool headed a moment and think about it.

McNamara improved the youth setup, brought new young players in (e.g. Lawless, O'Donnell, Craigen), and finalised the playing system which McCall had experimented with but couldn't quite get to work. He (along with Donnelly and Archie) worked on the players' confidence to make them believe they could really do something and the result was the great start we had to this season.

Then McNamara leaves us (at a time when we were faltering a little bit) and Archie comes in: how many folk thought that was it? Instead Archie has the players confidence, gets them winning again and winning away. To my mind the way he's handled loss of players thorugh injury and suspension, the way he's talked before and after games and the way he's used different players in different situations show there's a lot more to him as manager than just being someone who inherited a good side. I think we have a real manager there.

If my last point turns out to be true then we've had a tremendous run of luck with managers, the likes of which I've never seen in my life time. And this is actually where none of them has been sacked for what was happening on-field. It must be very unusual for a team to lose its manager half way through a season in the way we did and still go on to win the league.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Erskine has had a fantastic season. Would love to see him in Red and Yellow next season. If we can match his ambition and terms that would be great, if we can't fair play to the lad. He and Paul Paton haven't made a lot of money from being at Firhill and might only have 5 or 6 seasons left at the top level in them. So if they move it is with my best wishes. Both have put in 100% this season.

Chris seems to have played more defensively, or deeper. This could be to allow the new maverick Jimmy Craigen to fit into the starting line-up? Also the bobbles in the pitch don't do Erskine many favours with his first touch when he is looking to collect in the middle of the park?

One Thistle

One Chris Erskine

One Paul Paton

We are Thistle!

Erskine, wide left hits ball across penalty area, Craigan converts.

It is a moment like that that make, not just games, but seasons.

Magic! In an otherwise trench warfare game of football.

It is people like that, that make the difference between being five points ahead and a game in hand and not.

I hope we can retain as much of this team as Archie wants to although some of our younger players must be interesting scouts from England. We should be telling these lads that a decent start in the SPL could see their value and potential earnings skyrocket.

Anyway, that was amongst the most emotional nights I have ever spent at Firhill.

Do you seriously expect a player like Erskine to play at his brilliant best every game? It's never going to happen with a player of his type at this level.

And if you're so convinced he's off, why you worried he won't be good enough for the SPL?

never said he needs to play at his brilliant best, I ask why his last two games were shocking, he was the worst player on the park in the final, anyone thinks other wise was not at the game, and the Morton game, yes he ran his socks off, oh that's right he made a pass, every player ran their socks off, brilliant effort from everyone, I just asked if the poor displays from Erskine was down to utd sniffing around, did not say he was on his way for sure. perhaps it was the tv cameras that got to him and the large crowd last night.

You are a ******* *********.

say what you mean. everyone has taken this the wrong way, I did not say anything about the lad not trying or giving his best to the team. he has worked as hard as anyone. I ment, does anyone think the news about Jackie sniffing about him has got into his head and affected him, the shocking performance in the final was so unlike him, he's been brill all season . and something must be up for him to give such a poor display in the teams two biggest games this season. that's all im asking. everyone keep yur little panties on. and grow up.