Players I Would Keep For Next Season.

kane0

The players i would keep for next season would be in goal fox. Defenders balatoni, dowie, McMillan, muirhead o'donnell and Sinclair. In midfield craigen, Forbes,lawless and welsh. Forwards doolan and Elliott. Would loan out scully for the season. Not sure if I would have Daniels as back up to fox or a more experienced keeper. In defence I would loan out Campbell. In midfield I would do the same with halsman and macaleer. Up front I would do the same with mcguigan. If Craig is not being offered a new deal then surely Murray will not an offer either.

The players i would keep for next season would be in goal fox. Defenders balatoni, dowie, McMillan, muirhead o'donnell and Sinclair. In midfield craigen, Forbes,lawless and welsh. Forwards doolan and Elliott. Would loan out scully for the season. Not sure if I would have Daniels as back up to fox or a more experienced keeper. In defence I would loan out Campbell. In midfield I would do the same with halsman and macaleer. Up front I would do the same with mcguigan. If Craig is not being offered a new deal then surely Murray will not an offer either.

Shuggie still has a year to run on his contract and I cant see him being paid off. A lot of people have turned a blind eye to how well he played at the start of the season and he was a vital part of the all important start we had this season. Whether he could handle SPL at his age is a decision for Archie and Shaggy, but I cant see him getting his contract paid up and let go

Edited by Lindau

Highly speculative!

Doolan, Forbes, O'Donnell, Elliott, McMillan and Dowie are out of contract in May. It's significant that only Fox has signed a new deal. There is no guarantee that they will re-sign even if they are offered new deals. If they have other options, we could lose them.

Campbell, Halsman and Scully are also out of contract and it's far from certain they will get new deals. Daniels will return to Celtic where he is under contract. We can only keep him if they let him go.

I'd like us to keep everyone who has played a significant part this season. I'm very disappointed we're not keeping Steven Craig on, he looked hungry to disprove his reputation as a player fit only for the first division. He's also matched Doolan all the way this season, and I imagine Doolan will be offered a contract. Elliott should be kept as a winger to see how he gets on, McGuigan I would loan out to a first division team (Dumbarton may be ideal considering Lister's inevitable departure), and Dowie and McMillan should provide solid back-up for our defence. Scully, Campbell, Halsman and McAleer should be released to give them a chance at other clubs. Otherwise we really should be looking to hold together the team that has won us the league and has such obvious unity in it.

Edited by Noel Edmonds

I'd like us to keep everyone who has played a significant part this season. I'm very disappointed we're not keeping Steven Craig on, he looked hungry to disprove his reputation as a player fit only for the first division. He's also matched Doolan all the way this season, and I imagine Doolan will be offered a contract. Elliott should be kept as a winger to see how he gets on, McGuigan I would loan out to a first division team (Dumbarton may be ideal considering Lister's inevitable departure), and Dowie and McMillan should provide solid back-up for our defence. Scully, Campbell, Halsman and McAleer should be released to give them a chance at other clubs. Otherwise we really should be looking to hold together the team that has won us the league and has such obvious unity in it.

Where is Lister off to?

Out of contract:

Campbell - No. I thought he was great when he first broke into the squad, but injuries have hampered him and he won't be used next season.

Doolan - Yes.

Dowie - Unsure.

Elliott - No.

Forbes - Yes.

Halsman - No.

McMillan - Yes.

O'Donnell - Yes.

Scully - No.

Dowie is an unsure but verging on yes. He's looked comfortable enough for us. I want Muirhead and Balatoni to be first-choice, then have someone else as back-up, with Dowie centre-half #4. If we're only going into the season with three recognised centre-halfs then we could probably find someone better.

Edited by ThickAsThieves

I'm going to go against the tide here and say that I won't be that disappointed if sod leaves. He had a terrific start to the season but,for me, has never really hit they heights again since his injury. Thought McMillan look comfortable at right back and could easily fill sods position as well as be centre half cover. As long as Archie can get someone in to replace Paton(bachirou),erskine(harkins) and now Craig(graham/may?)I would give the squad that won the league their chance.

Shuggie still has a year to run on his contract and I cant see him being paid off. A lot of people have turned a blind eye to how well he played at the start of the season and he was a vital part of the all important start we had this season. Whether he could handle SPL at his age is a decision for Archie and Shaggy, but I cant see him getting his contract paid up and let go

I've had a quick look at the SPL side teams and the thing that hits me right away is the size of their squads compared to ours. I think in fact we have a smaller squad than some first division sides, having sacrificed size for a bit extra quality and depended on players who can fill several roles.

Anyway though we'll not manage to match most squads in the SPL (in size) we still will need a bigger squad than next season. That means that one or two players who are maybe 50-50 in some folks minds could be kept on if they can perform more than one function.

Murray has been helping with the coaching, so could become a player coach. (In essence replacing Archie). As someone pointed out McGuigan has a degree in sports science and can help in the background as well as playing (or be out on loan to a local club and still be involved at Firhill in another capacity.

Where possible bring in guys who can play at least two positions but we'll need a bit of extra quality now Erskine's gone. We've got to make sure we re-sign Forbes or we'll need two more such players. Harkins has been suggested but we might not get him. Is there a winger, midfielder we've played against this season who's given us real problems and can we sign him?

Losing Paton and Erskine was a big blow. Our main hope for next season must be that young players like Bannigan, Muirhead, O'Donnell, Craigen, etc.improve from very good first division players into genuine SPL quality players. I don't see any reason why they can't. Also, assuming we need six extra players (not including replacements for guys who might leave) I'd hope most will be in their 20s - old enough to have some experience but young enough to be keen and ambitious.

What I also hope is we keep the same system of play. It requires a lot of energy from the team so we'll have to be really fit but it lets us be attacking while still good defensively. Look at our goals against this season. Archie seems to have made a few tweaks to the system to improve our away form and I hope that he sees no more than that is needed to match SPL teams. Of course I realise that depends a lot on the players he can get in. If we can't get the right kinds of players we may have to change the system.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I'm guessing.... hoping you just forgot to include Bannigan in the "keep" squad.

I think he is highly rated by a number of people in the game from what i have heard. I think we should be hanging onto him.

Even if McGuigan scores a hat tick against Dumbarton Im still far from convinced. He is only 20 so time yet. Loan him out for a while ideally -

Queens Park if promoted - we sign Shankland and loan Shankland and McGuigan to them for a few months

Dunfermline - McGuigan as loan and cash for Wallace.

Dundee - Loan McGuigan and cash for Baird or Harkins - Im not convinced Baird has been that bad in the SPL set up and scored some goals in a Dundee team that has struggled badly. Though its still not definite that Dundee will be relegated.

Or a loan to Raith, Morton etc

We need to keep all the players we have, there is no way we can afford to sign 10 or more for next season, the money we have should be spent on quality not quantity. This squad we have get on we'll together, bring in players who can enhance what we have already got. I read a comment that we plan to bring in 6 players, sounds about right.

As I've said on another thread, I'd like to see us be quite brutal. If the player doesn't have a at least a chance of being better than what we've got then it's a no.

Those out of contract

Campbell - No

Doolan - Yes

Dowie - No (I don't think he's better than Muirhead or Balatoni)

Elliott - No

Forbes - Unsure (the SPL might suit Forbes as the pace is less frenetic)

Halsman - No

McMillan - Yes

O'Donnell - Yes

Scully - No

Craig - No (he's going anyway)

Those under contract, assuming that we can negotiate out their contracts

McGuigan - No

Murray - No

McAleer - Yes (based purely on reports of his potential)

Craigen - No (I know I'll probably get shot down, but I honestly don't see what people are raving about, I hope I'm proved wrong)

Overall, I think we have a decent team already signed up for next year. I don't want us to keep anyone that is on the fringes of the current team. Honestly, why would we? If they're not good enough now, they'll be well short next year. We have a good goalkeeper, a solid defence already in place, and some excellent midfielders. We can build around them, not make up the squad with our already bit part players.